Portrait B&W

dkmoore

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi all, as usual, criticism high encouraged as I learn a lot. Model shoot from last weekend. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

The self-confident, extremely likeable pose is a wonderful counterpoint to the model's rather ordinary peasant blouse (somebody must have forced her to put it on) - this peculiar contrast considerably increases the woman's attractiveness. Very nice picture ❤️

Cheers, Shlomo.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, rpittal said:

beautiful shot;   the pole in the background on the right is a bit distracting, as is she being offset in the frame (minor comments)

I agree, I would have preferred for it to be removed. This area was cluttered and this was the cleanest angle. There were lots of people walking around and a bunch of buildings to her left so I chose the lesser of evils. 

Edited by dkmoore

5 hours ago, ianman said:

Is that your shadow we can see?  For me, that is very distracting and is something I try to avoid.

Yes, it is. I thought it was distracting at first but I like it as I think it brings some mystery. I have a few others from the left and right that I took to remove the shadow.

4 hours ago, lykaman said:

Very powerful, I would have liked a tad more reflected light in her eyes..   L

I stubbornly don't use reflectors or flashes unless I'm in studio but I don't disagree. I will look to see what I can do in PP. 

Thanks for commenting and looking!

35 minutes ago, stuny said:

All of the above.  Is she Beatrice?

Yes, it is. I shot with her in Philly this past weekend. Have you done a shoot with her?

Edited by dkmoore

5 hours ago, Louis said:

A beautiful portrait. I very much like her expression and the messy hair that adds to it. The pole doesn't bother me at all; I only think the framing is a little out of balance. But I wish your shadow was not there.

I’m going to see what can be done in editing to lesson the visual distraction of the shadow. If it can be done to any degree of quality I’ll post the option. 

the framing was intentional. I have a bunch with her centered. 

Am 23.6.2020 um 03:20 schrieb dkmoore:

Hi all, as usual, criticism high encouraged as I learn a lot. Model shoot from last weekend. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Hi, Ok, this is not a portrait along the lines of an academy textbook. But  I think it´s perfect as it is. Of course you could remove the pole in the background and your shadow and center the face... but then it would get a bit boring.. so for me it´s a kind of "making of" , not dead but alive. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, stuny said:

No.  I recognized her from your beautiful color portrait of her in the portrait thread in this section.  If this virus ever lets up we should meet some time.

would love to! Keeping my fingers crossed that it lets up soon..

5 hours ago, Kl@usW. said:

Hi, Ok, this is not a portrait along the lines of an academy textbook. But  I think it´s perfect as it is. Of course you could remove the pole in the background and your shadow and center the face... but then it would get a bit boring.. so for me it´s a kind of "making of" , not dead but alive. 

Thank you. I am often drawn to atypical (non-academic) images. I took a few with her centered, etc, but liked this one better. The shadow did annoy me at first but later thought it added some mystery. 

I love everything about it with the exception of the shadow. It just pulls too much attention away from your subject. The pole is no big deal and I like the off center framing. I also really like the straight at the camera approach.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, fotografr said:

I love everything about it with the exception of the shadow. It just pulls too much attention away from your subject. The pole is no big deal and I like the off center framing. I also really like the straight at the camera approach.

Thanks Brent. I edited the photo to lessen the visual impact of the shadow and I'll post that version shortly. 

• Like 1