pthean

SL2 with Voigtlander 35mm f1.4 - how to capture correct aperture used?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi All, 

I put the Voigtlander 35mm f1.4 Classic on my SL2. It is not a recognized lens, so I chose the Summilux M1:1.4/35 ASPH. 11873 lens profile.  Everything works great except the Aperture setting recorded on the shot does not match the aperture setting that I used on the Lens. I have also tried the 2 other M 35mm lens profiles in the menu with different but still incorrect Aperture recorded in the shot.

Can someone share with me how to capture the right Aperture used? Do I need to create a custom lens profile? And if so, how do I do that?

Thanks much for your help.

-patrick.

You can’t... the aperture shown in EXIF is an estimate only. Even 6 bit coded M lenses are inaccurate. 

32 minutes ago, Donzo98 said:

You can’t... the aperture shown in EXIF is an estimate only. Even 6 bit coded M lenses are inaccurate. 

Thank you. How does it estimate?  I did notice that the f16 was good,  but the f1.4 came out as f1.7. Does it matter which of the M Lens profile I choose?

5 hours ago, pthean said:

Thank you. How does it estimate?  I did notice that the f16 was good,  but the f1.4 came out as f1.7. Does it matter which of the M Lens profile I choose?

No... it doesn’t matter at all. Even an M lens with M-L adapter is still wrong. There are no electrical contacts of the lens or adapter. 

16 hours ago, pthean said:

How does it estimate? 

It uses an extra light sensor on the body and compares the ambient light level with the amount of light going through the lens.

It doesn't have to be accurate. The only practical use for the information is to apply vignetting correction to JPEGs and DNGs. 

Thank you sharing. So... what does the Lens Profile do? How does the SL2 use that? And does it matter which Lens Profile I set when I use this lens? Thanks again!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By dritz
      Original owner of a mint-condition 30-90-S.  Works as it should. Leica upgraded AF in 2018 and barely used since then. Time to get this a new home.  Includes:
      lens caps original box outer box lens bag manual AF repair paperwork I think it's priced to sell. Wire transfer only please, plus shipping + insurance (charged at actual cost). Me and the lens located in Seattle, USA.  I will be selling some other similar mint, new-AF lenses shortly.  So much gear to go (contact me and we can arrange a video call to see).
      Twelve High resolution pictures here.
      You may find me on that auction site as dritz40 if you wish more background.
    • By Aaron Daniel
      Hi all, I've noticed there isn't a dedicated thread for editing L-Log footage, so I will begin one here. I realize that colouring and re-touching video is a very subjective field, but I wanted to see how others work within Leica's limited literature surrounding post-production in video.
      I've just updated my Atomos Ninja V to the latest firmware, which now allows for L-Log recording from leica (the past year with the SL2 was a little tedious working with both internally and externally recorded video footage). Now, with this update, BT2020 seems a lot nicer.
      I've just done my first video about this update here:

• By augustwest100
      I was wondering if anyone has done side by side comparisons of the Sigma L mount 24-70 with the Leica Vario Elmarit 24-90.
      I find that I use my Sony a9 mostly as follows:
      75% of the time I have the excellent 55mm Sony Zeiss 1.8 on it due to the best balance of size, weight, sharpness, bokeh, every day use
      20% of the time I use the excellent zeiss batis 25mm 1.8
      5% of the time I think about using my 70-200 f4 Sony or my excellent 24-70 Sony G master f2.8...and then decide I don't really want to carry it around, so I take the 25mm and the 55mm instead and alternate use. This can be a pain when I need to swap them back and forth but is lighter option and sometimes I just take one.

So I am trying to figure out where I would start with a Leica SL2 system, as I only have a Leica M 35 summicron presently:
      Go with a 24-90mm Leica Vario Elmarit (costly and heavy) and use my M lens when I want a lighter setup to walk around with.
      Go with a Sigma 24-70 for general use, and then put money towards an autofocus Leica 35mm or Leica 50mm.
      Neither of these setups will address the 70-200 lens that would be missing, but I rarely used it, so I can do without I think and either pick up a used 135mm manual focus lens, or maybe a 100mm macro lens and crop it.
      At any rate, would be nice to get some feedback on the image quality of the Sigma 24-70 as that might help me decide. I am continually trying to choose between the SL2, SL2s and M10r and it doesn't seem to make sense to get the SL2 system without at least one autofocus general purpose lens. Otherwise, might as well just go with the M!
      Thanks, all!

• By DJGR33R
      Hi Photogs 
      Can anyone explain how the SL2 processes it’s multi shot images when set in multi-shot mode?
      I understand that the camera takes 8 different shots by moving the sensor 0.5 pixels each time. My question is does the camera merge these 8 images to produce the final 187 MB image or does it interpolate between each of the 8 images to produce the final result ?
      A couple of my multi-shots look like they have had mild HDR treatment which is not to everyone’s taste. Is that the intention or consequence of multi-shot images?
      Any advice welcome !
      Thanks

David

• By augustwest100
      Hello there,
      I am looking to get some advice coming from a Sony A9, which I got not because I shoot action, but because I was drawn to the "no blackout" EVF. I have used and owned many Leicas in my day, including the MP film camera, the M9, M240,  Q, and M10, and am currently "between" Leicas. I am wondering whether anyone can guide me with my next decision: Whether to sell the Sony A9 and the glass I own for it in order to get a Leica SL2 or SL2S, or to get the Leica M10R. I absolutely love the experience of looking through a glass viewfinder at the real world and I like to take a minimalist approach to what gear I carry. I never "spray and pray," even with the A9, at most I focus once, recompose and shoot. 
       I don't always hit focus with the M cameras, and sometimes I get a little stressed by the fact that you cannot see the exact framing of the image, and many of the lenses (such as the Summicron 35mm M I still own) do not focus on close subjects. So I guess what I am saying is that I am struggling with the pros and cons of both systems. The M system is near and dear to me, but I don't always get focus or framing when under a little pressure. The SL2S intrigues me as a good way to replace my Sony A9, sacrificing Sony's autofocus madness, button layout, and pages of frustrating menus, for a more sublime Leica experience, but seems a little heavy.  The reason I was thinking of SL2S versus M10R is that the resolution of the  M10R would allow me to "fix" the framing if I don't get it perfect, where on the SL2S I would be seeing exactly what I would get before I shoot, so the extra resolution would probably not be needed as much. 
      Of course I would love to own both someday
      Note: I am not a professional photographer. I like shooting street, landscape and sometimes non-studio portraits. I like Leica because of the simplicity of use, the connection to film days, and because of the dedicated dials for ISO, Shutter Speed, Aperture. If the M10D had a film advance lever that worked, I probably would have pulled the plug on that baby! And if the Sony A9 had dedicated dials (and less of them) and about 10 pages less of options (animal eye auto focus - wow!) I would consider keeping it.
      Thanks for any advice you may have!