pthean

SL2 with Voigtlander 35mm f1.4 - how to capture correct aperture used?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi All, 

I put the Voigtlander 35mm f1.4 Classic on my SL2. It is not a recognized lens, so I chose the Summilux M1:1.4/35 ASPH. 11873 lens profile.  Everything works great except the Aperture setting recorded on the shot does not match the aperture setting that I used on the Lens. I have also tried the 2 other M 35mm lens profiles in the menu with different but still incorrect Aperture recorded in the shot.

Can someone share with me how to capture the right Aperture used? Do I need to create a custom lens profile? And if so, how do I do that?

Thanks much for your help.

-patrick.

You can’t... the aperture shown in EXIF is an estimate only. Even 6 bit coded M lenses are inaccurate. 

32 minutes ago, Donzo98 said:

You can’t... the aperture shown in EXIF is an estimate only. Even 6 bit coded M lenses are inaccurate. 

Thank you. How does it estimate?  I did notice that the f16 was good,  but the f1.4 came out as f1.7. Does it matter which of the M Lens profile I choose?

5 hours ago, pthean said:

Thank you. How does it estimate?  I did notice that the f16 was good,  but the f1.4 came out as f1.7. Does it matter which of the M Lens profile I choose?

No... it doesn’t matter at all. Even an M lens with M-L adapter is still wrong. There are no electrical contacts of the lens or adapter. 

16 hours ago, pthean said:

How does it estimate? 

It uses an extra light sensor on the body and compares the ambient light level with the amount of light going through the lens.

It doesn't have to be accurate. The only practical use for the information is to apply vignetting correction to JPEGs and DNGs. 

Thank you sharing. So... what does the Lens Profile do? How does the SL2 use that? And does it matter which Lens Profile I set when I use this lens? Thanks again!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By NicholasT
      I've been shooting with Sigma 100-400 for couple of months.
      As others have mentioned I find that this lens punches way above its price point in terms of IQ. Also due to its compact size and weight I find myself bringing this lens along far more often than I've ever done with a lens with 400mm reach.
      Today I decided to test the lens to try to answer a couple of questions I had about the lens:
      1. I was finding some inconsistency in sharpness even when shooting on tripod. There's been speculation in various posts that this could be due to mechanical shutter. I wanted to test this out. 
      2. I also have the TC-1411 teleconverter, but have not been making much use as I was uncertain about its impact on image quality. I've seen several reviews that report little to no IQ degradation from its use so decided to test it out.
      To answer the first question I took 3 exposures using mechanical shutter and compared the results. I found wide variation in the results. I repeated the test 3 times with the same wide variation. The test was conducted on a tripod (top of the line Really Right Stuff) at 100 ISO with 12 second shutter delay shooting from indoors ( no wind or other impacts).
      I then repeated the test several times with electronic shutter. While there was some variability between shots the differences were minor.
      Based on this relatively simple test I'm satisfied that the speculation that mechanical shutter impacts image quality in a noticeable way is in fact correct. I will be using electronic shutter with this lens from now on. 
      In order to answer the second question I took a series of 3 images at 400mm and then at 560mm focusing on a group of junction boxes on top of a building ( distance about 230 meters or 750 ft. I chose this subject because the boxes have numbers on them which helped with subsequent comparison between images. Also the texture on the wall surrounding the junction boxes offered a further reference point. 
      From each set of images taken at 400m and 560mm I selected the best one (differences were minor based on use of electronic shutter). I then compared the image taken at 560mm with 200% magnification with the one taken at 400mm with 300% magnification. I used these settings as I figured it would "roughly" equalize the result between using lens with teleconverter versus doing a more aggressive (equivalent) crop in post. 
      All images were shot at 100 ISO in the case of 400mm F6.3  & 1/125 and in case of 560mm at F9.0 & 1/60 
      Below I've attached the comparison between the two. I will share which is which in subsequent post but thought I'd share and get some initial reaction to the comparative difference. 
    • By chris_tribble
      I'm currently wrestling with which lenses to keep / sell  / add - and wonder if others are dealing with similar issues.
      At the moment I'm using two systems.  L mount and M mount. 
      The L mount system is one SL2 body and the following lenses:
      VE 24-90
      VE 90-280
      Sigma 45 f2.8 DG DN
      The M system is two M10 bodies and:
      15 Voigtlander Super-wide Heliar III f4.5
      28 Summicron Asph
      35 Summicron Asph
      50 Summilux Asph
      50 Summarit f2.4
      75 Summarit f2.4
      90 Macro-Elmar + macro adapter
      135 M Apo-Telyt f3.4

In the current circumstances, my daily carry everywhere is the SL2 + 24-90.  I never thought it would be so easy to manage - but it is.  Because of how life is at the moment, I'm hardly using the VE 90-280.  This means there is a large lump of money sitting in a lens that is little used.  However, I got it for a good price used and I'll hold on to it for a year or two and then review.  I don't use the Sigma 45 so much since I got the VE 24-90 (which is SUCH a good, well behaved lense), but I still like the images I make and I am happy to retain it for now.  I'm also not using the M's much at present. This isn't a reason for getting rid of them - but the retained lenses are another issue.  If I look back through thousands of images in my Lightroom archive, the three M lenses that dominate are 28 / 35 / 50.  The others account for only about 5% of images.  I loved the 90 Macro when I first got it - but I was mainly using it as a compact medium telephoto on the M10, and not really using it for macro!  AND The Sigma 45 (with its near macro capability)  on the SL2 was so much easier to work with!  Likewise, I've had the 135 A-T for a long time, and it's a flawless lens (which works great on the SL2), but how much do I use it? Very little at the moment.  I use the Voigtlander 15 Super-wide Heliar very little too - but I know that it's essential for certain kinds of interior and landscape
      Now that I have the SL2, the lenses that are really redundant are the 50 & 75 Summarits + the 90 Macro-Elmar.  Off to Ffordes they will go.  But then what.  What am I lacking.  My current feeling is that it's a really good portrait lens and (possibly) a dedicated medium telephoto / macro lens.  Which leads me to Sigma.  It seems that the new 85 1.4 DG DN is a candidate as is the 105 Macro DG DN.  I'm also tempted by the 35 f2 DG DN - though this overlaps with the 35 Summicron (which works beautifully on either M or SL).
      SO - does anyone have experience with the two Sigma lenses mentioned above (85 / 105).  Does anyone have other thoughts?  I'm toying with the Sigma 14-35, but I'm not sure if I'd use it that much.  Heigh ho - I suppose this is all to do with too much time on my hands during the pandemic - though I did get out this morning in beautiful sunshine and snow (with the SL2 and 24-90!). Examples here: 
      Hello guest! Please register or sign in to view the hidden content. Hallo Gast! Du willst die Bilder sehen? Einfach registrieren oder anmelden!  

Thanks for any thoughts...
    • By lecycliste
      I’m using an Atomos Ninja V 5” monitor driven by the SL2’s HDMI port. It displays the viewfinder image just fine, but none of the AF tracking and exposure data shown in the viewfinder. This gives me a very viewable display at low camera angles - the eyepiece no longer gets in the way, and I can actually see what I’m shooting.

** Is anyone else using an external monitor, and how do I get the AF tracking point and exposure info I see in the viewfinder to appear in the external monitor? 

Right now all I get is the viewfinder image. I have to place the AF tracking point in the middle of the viewfinder and put the subject there when I’m using the external monitor without knowing if I’m AF tracking or not.
      Thanks.. 
    • By gtownby
      I must admit that since acquiring it several years ago, I do not much go to my Noctilux 50mm f/.95. My biggest disappointment is that while I really want to use it for portraiture, the minimum focusing distance is so far that I am unable to fill the screen with my subject. Instead, I must back away significantly and then crop. So, before I consider selling the beast, I thought that maybe forum members could post their favorite .95 images to persuade me otherwise.
      I'll start with a photo from the .95 that I am happy with.
      Happy New Year!
      Image: Copyright 2020 Gordon Ownby

Hello guest! Please register or sign in to view the hidden content. Hallo Gast! Du willst die Bilder sehen? Einfach registrieren oder anmelden!
    • By sillbeers15
      Two shots taken same day within a couple of minutes apart.
      One shot was taken with the SL2 single shot with SL16-35 and another with M10R with WATE. 
      Both shots taken at ISO100 / M mode / F9 / 1/20 sec on tripod.
      Can you tell which shot is taken with SL2 + SL16-35mm lens?

Hello guest! Please register or sign in to view the hidden content. Hallo Gast! Du willst die Bilder sehen? Einfach registrieren oder anmelden!untitled-1001471 by sillbeers15
      Hello guest! Please register or sign in to view the hidden content. Hallo Gast! Du willst die Bilder sehen? Einfach registrieren oder anmelden!untitled-1020091 by sillbeers15