Leica SL2 Firmware 2.0: 187 MP Multishot Mode

LUF Admin

Advertisement (gone after registration)

10 hours ago, fbrinkma said:

I installed the new 2.0 version, but am unable to pair with my iphone.  The reason is that I am unable to turn Bluetooth to On.  Any ideas on how to fix this? 

Bluetooth getting stuck OFF is a known Fotos problem.  Save all your profiles, then go to "factory reset" and say "yes" to the question about resetting BT and wifi settings, and "no" to resetting your profiles, which you have just saved, and "no" to renumbering your images.  Then reset.  You will have to delete the camera from Fotos, and go through pairing again.

10 hours ago, Tinbird said:

Hi, Scott. Thanks so much for your detailed feedback on the issues you're having with the new Leica SL2 FW update. I know that your observations will be instructive to those lucky few among us that managed to snag an SL2 prior to the pandemic bringing the global supply chain to a virtual halt. Having said all that, Scott, you frequently use the word "chip" in your post, by which I can only presume that you actually mean "SD card?" I'm genuinely only trying to offer constructive insight and attain clarity by suggesting that when discussing technical details (as we are), precision and accuracy are very important if we're to avoid increasing rather than decreasing confusion and ambiguity. Myself, I had to carefully re-read several key passages in your post on order to feel somewhat confident that by "chip" you were actually intending to refer to your SD card. Again, Scott, thanks for your valuable report on your experience with the new FW update, and please accept my feedback in the purely constructive and clarity-enhancing spirit in which it is most certainly intended. Kind regards...

"chip" should be "SD card"

19 hours ago, scott kirkpatrick said:

I'm trying out multi-shot.  It's at the end of the drive mode list and you can get to it on the quick menu.  One extremely annoying thing.  I put the camera on a tripod set up multishot and start to aim, and an error message saying that the camera is vibrating takes over the screen so that I cannot aim.  The fix is to set everything up in a normal mode, then make the camera stable and switch to multishot.  So that's what I've done.

Software engineers do not have to be photographers ;)  This vibration message is always there at the wrong place and at the wrong time and makes working cumbersome. Should be fixed, pretty soon. 

2 minutes ago, Arrow said:

Software engineers do not have to be photographers ;)  This vibration message is always there at the wrong place and at the wrong time and makes working cumbersome. Should be fixed, pretty soon. 

I picture the poor guys who have to write this firmware and get it correct have their test camera set up on a 50 kg studio tripod and trigger the shots over LIS or Fotos.  Lots of shots.  Incidentally it is much more complex than the firmware that Panasonic is using in the S1R.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, scott kirkpatrick said:

I picture the poor guys who have to write this firmware and get it correct have their test camera set up on a 50 kg studio tripod and trigger the shots over LIS or Fotos.  Lots of shots.  Incidentally it is much more complex than the firmware that Panasonic is using in the S1R.

I hope they get the message and develop the habit to simply play the firmware on a camera and hand it over to someone and test it prior to release :)

There was this thing with the M8 and the need of an extra filter when it was already too late.

Edited by Arrow
  • Like 1

Sorry to hear so many problems.

Just to say I read the red dot forum article, proceeded to load the firmware. 
No problem with the settings as I simply exported them to the Sd card.

Tried the multi shot with the 24-90

Then tried it with the S adaptor and an S30 lens.

The results are extraordinary.

To top it off the iPhone app now works very smoothly and very quickly.

Take a look at this Leica Australia video and hear some more positive facts.

I have a commission to create a 17mt panorama at the beginning of July so the firmware upgrade is very timely.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

I was looking for some object to show the resolution. An Equadorian handwoven hat. Should be around 1800 knots per square inch or even more. 

Once the motion reduction is turned off, it is really amazing. Thank you Leica!!!! 🥰

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Here is another crop :)

20 hours ago, tom0511 said:

I wish they had fixed battery issues instead of adding a super dooper high resolution mode which noboy really needs in real life.

Plus 100,000  !!!!  And AFC !!  Multishot just a nonsense gimmick for 1% of users. Fix the camera so it operates as advertised first!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, Arrow said:

I don't mind the message at all, in fact I almost never see it. My workflow:

- assign Drive mode to a function button for quick switch between single (default) and multi-shot

- frame and set exposure on tripod

- turn on multi-shot, select "Motion artifacts correction" on/off, take an image, and switch back to single shot.

I understand that my workflow does not fit everybody.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, rfunnell said:

Just wondering whether it may be time to try the Leica Fotos (paid app) ?

Anyone have feedback on their experiences.

I don't think there are any happy users of the paid version.  The free version does some simple things pretty well (quick check of your pictures, remote triggering with liveview and basic controls accessible).  Connecting to the camera is a little tricky but getting better and more stable.  Geo-location is highly buggy.  

6 hours ago, Realphotos said:

Sorry to hear so many problems.....

To top it off the iPhone app now works very smoothly and very quickly.

Yes, such a problematic new firmware that a dozen of us have loaded up and gotten nice results by nightfall.  (It came out at 3 pm CE time, 4 pm for me).  

I recently reloaded the free version after having given up on it shortly after purchasing the SL2 in December. Pleased to report that it works well. I use it primarily as a remote. I've loaded my M10, CL, SL & SL2 onto the APP and have encountered no issues. Sometimes connecting can be a tad slow,  45secs to a minute, not serious, it does what it needs to do.

• Like 1

I would not get it for Multishot . you can change the setting the camera , but eventually it switches back to single shot when using the APP.

The pro app is still slow, in one day shooting there where often connection issues. and the options are stupid limited.

but it works if you need to show clients on big iPad 

• Like 1

Am 19.6.2020 um 16:53 schrieb Aktenschrank:

Not sure if this affects anyone else, but I lost the customised assignment of the top left function button in all my user profiles after the update and the re-import of the user profiles. After the update it is switching between photo and video mode instead of switching between user profiles (which is how I had configured it in all of my user profiles).

Yes, I had the same effect! 

Peter

3 hours ago, SrMi said:

I don't mind the message at all, in fact I almost never see it. My workflow:

- assign Drive mode to a function button for quick switch between single (default) and multi-shot

- frame and set exposure on tripod

- turn on multi-shot, select "Motion artifacts correction" on/off, take an image, and switch back to single shot.

I understand that my workflow does not fit everybody.

Looks like a good override :) 

However, Leica should do something about it.

9 hours ago, Realphotos said:

Sorry to hear so many problems.

Just to say I read the red dot forum article, proceeded to load the firmware. 
No problem with the settings as I simply exported them to the Sd card.

<snip>

My 24-90 produces great results with 47Mp, but mediocre results with multishot. Multishot results with M-lenses (35mm, 90mm) are stunning!

Maybe I need to send my 24-90 in for service :(. Maybe I need to use a beefier tripod with the larger 24-90.

Motion artifact correction works very well for leaves moving in the wind. 

• Like 2