Leica SL2 Firmware 2.0: 187 MP Multishot Mode

LUF Admin

Advertisement (gone after registration)

2 hours ago, Paul2660 said:

I looked at this crop, and feel that something else may be going on here.  Many things can effect the finer details on a Multishot image.  I have attached a crop from the Lecia SL2 and 90-280 @ 280mm, F11.   This crop has a building edge similar to yours and is in bright light.  The zigging you are seeing is not there.  The building in this case was about 1 mile out, not sure what that is in KM.  I can't get the image to load with the correct detail due to site limitations to really show the detail, but I think it loads enough to see the edges of the building, i.e the straight lines.  MS can create an excellent image, however many times environment issues can create problems. 

The effects you are seeing might be due to several things.  

The time of day is critical with MS shots with a longer lens as the effect of heat shimmer is something that will ruin the shot, (it will do similar things to a large mega pixel single also but it won't be quite as noticeable).  Shimmer is what I call the effect that heat rising off a subject, which causes the subject to appear blurry or slightly out of focus.  When you view the image at 100% in your EV, you can see the shimmer.  One a bright day, the longer into the day, the worse this issue can be. 

I have also however seen similar artifacts at times, mainly on tree trunks, and the best way I know to I know to fix it is with a adding a slight Gaussian Blur in CC, which will help make the issue not as noticeable, and then you can also re-sharpen the file.  Also Topaz AI sharpener has a setting to "remove artifacts" and this can also help depending on the image. 

I don't think this is from the built in Movement correction that the MS option has, but if you have it on, you might try turning it off and see if you get a sharper image, without the zig zag effect, or vise versa (if you don't have it on, try it).  I rarely use the correction setting in the field as I feel it takes out the sharpest details. 

You can easily also scale down the image to say 150MP or 100MP and this issue will be much less noticeable.  I realize this is taking away the huge 187 MP output, but I have yet to need the full 187 size in my work and can pull out a 40 x 60 using some of the better tools like On1 resize if I need to make such a large print.  This is keeping the image at 300dpi the entire time. 

I always use the 12 second delay with all MS shots, not the 2 sec as I feel overall it allow for a better image even though I am using a very secure tripod. And most times use a external release to fire the camera. 

The results from MS can be excellent at times, but it will not always be the best solution depending on your shooting conditions, and or weather. 

Paul C 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Thanks Paul. The image was taken a winter day in low temperature and with exceptional clear air, so I am quite confident that the problem is not related to atmospheric (light refraction) issues. I will, however, run tests with native SL lenses at various focal length, to see whether focal length or native/non-native lenses can be an issue. I am not very keen on applying software corrections, but I will also consider this. 

On 2/3/2023 at 8:03 AM, helged said:

Fantastic resolution. But the images tend to show slight zig zag/checkerboard patterns at contrasty edges (likely elsewhere also, but certainly along edges). Any experiences, remedies?

I haven't use the feature very often, but have never noticed anything similar (SL2).  That said, I've yet to attempt anything quite on the same scale of landscape as your example. I note in your original post that you mentioned using the e-shutter, which I haven't used in this context.  Perhaps counter intuitive, but I'm wondering if somehow that's involved. 

Edited by Tailwagger
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Tailwagger said:

I haven't use the feature very often, but have never noticed anything similar (SL2).  That said, I've yet to attempt anything quite on the same scale of landscape as your example. I note in your original post that you mentioned using the e-shutter, which I haven't used in this context.  Perhaps counter intuitive, but I'm wondering if somehow that's involved. 

Thanks. The multishot option is only available with the electronic shutter, so the problem must be related to something else, as far as I can tell. https://www.reddotforum.com/content/2020/06/leica-sl2-firmware-v2-0-with-187mp-multi-shot/

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, helged said:

Thanks. The multishot option is only available with the electronic shutter, so the problem must be related to something else, as far as I can tell. https://www.reddotforum.com/content/2020/06/leica-sl2-firmware-v2-0-with-187mp-multi-shot/

My bad... hadnt realized or remembered that... one of the many hazards of getting old. 😉

• Like 1