Leica SL2 Firmware 2.0: 187 MP Multishot Mode

LUF Admin

Advertisement (gone after registration)

OFF.  The big obstacle is just getting the camera steady enough for long enough to be allowed to shoot.  I didn't have a phone with me, or i could have used Fotos.*  The motion artifacts that it can correct are leaves and branches, not the camera itself.  I haven't tested that extensively.  I'm not impressed by what I have seen in this line with other cameras, even Olympus, who has been doing it longest.

*Maybe not.  Fotos doesn't seem to trigger multi-shot programs, at least not when the drive setting is done from Fotos.  I haven't tried setting this all up on the camera, then triggering remotely.

Here's another example, with a more interesting overall scene:

U1040847 by scott kirkpatrick, on Flickr SL2, multishot with APO 50 SC.

Here are two crops of details at the center and at the right hand edge.

U1040847 copy 2 by scott kirkpatrick, on Flickr

U1040847 copy by scott kirkpatrick, on Flickr

• Like 2

For an example of the situation that multishot cannot handle gracefully, check out a shot I'm posting on the 120 Macro S etc, thread.  A network of trains and highways  full of traffic winding up the hill to Jerusalem. The cars turned into blurry caterpillars.

Edited by scott kirkpatrick

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/27/2020 at 11:55 PM, scott kirkpatrick said:

For an example of the situation that multishot cannot handle gracefully, check out a shot I'm posting on the 120 Macro S etc, thread.  A network of trains and highways  full of traffic winding up the hill to Jerusalem. The cars turned into blurry caterpillars.

Thanks Scott

I was about to post a question regarding subject motion while using the multishot mode.

Many thanks 

On 11/15/2020 at 4:40 PM, Ken Abrahams said:

Thanks Scott

I was about to post a question regarding subject motion while using the multishot mode.

Many thanks 

Leica SL2's multi-shot has a motion artifact removal option that handles slightly moving branches quite well.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Yes, but my example was cars at highway speeds in the middle distance.  Over the period that it takes to run off 8 shots with the electronic shutter (1/30 to 1/60 sec?) they move 100 pixels or so.  I suppose it would be interesting to see what the limits of the motion artifact software are.

I was tinkering with some files today, and simply given i had both a "high resolution multi shot" version + "normal" version, i thought i'd post them here

The image is a really small crop off a whopping 70" wide print at 300dpi. Yes, i print big lol!!!! .... 

.....it might not be anywhere near as clear at all when it's posted here compared to when i look at it in Photoshop on my own screen, but i think the multi shot is remarkably impressive at that huge print size (more detail, less noise, simply more clarity of definition overall).

If the "high resolution mode" basically negates some of the negatives of the bayer demosaicing, i'd be very excited if Leica ever produced a Monochrom SL2 ....iI'm guessing it could be more like the image quality of the multi shot image, but without the disadvantages of subject movement and needing to bolt the camera to a tripod during a multi shot capture ....

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by Jon Warwick
  • Like 3

Here's a similar test.  Shot in the kitchen, distance to the subject (focus on the cereal box image) was 80 cm.

single shot (cropped to about half the frame):

U1050112 by scott kirkpatrick, on Flickr SL2 SL 35 SC

and here is a crop of the center of the image, an area 6 cm high, from the multi-shot version of the same group.

U1050111 copy by scott kirkpatrick, on Flickr

Edit:  Notice that although the printing screen is resolved better on the multishot excerpt, there is a bit of artifact -- the dark diagonal lines on the end of the wooden honey extractor, which are not present if you click through and expand the single shot.

Edited by scott kirkpatrick
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/16/2020 at 10:47 PM, scott kirkpatrick said:

Yes, but my example was cars at highway speeds in the middle distance.  Over the period that it takes to run off 8 shots with the electronic shutter (1/30 to 1/60 sec?) they move 100 pixels or so.  I suppose it would be interesting to see what the limits of the motion artifact software are.

Shoot with an ND filter to slightly prolong the exposure and let the cars "blur" themselves out of the scene.  Unless you need the cars sharp for the composition?  If you can get the shutter speed down to say 1/4s with a 4-stop ND then your final pixel shift exposure would be 1/4s X 8 frames = 2s "look" to it.  Might look really neat!

Edited by Speeding

You can see the spacing between the 8 multishot images in these two crops.  The delay between shots is due to the time it takes to extract each shot, not the exposure time itself,.

U1040916 1 by scott kirkpatrick, on Flickr

This second shot you will need to click through to see the full variety of effects possible..

U1040899 by scott kirkpatrick, on Flickr

2 hours ago, scott kirkpatrick said:

You can see the spacing between the 8 multishot images in these two crops.  The delay between shots is due to the time it takes to extract each shot, not the exposure time itself,.

U1040916 1 by scott kirkpatrick, on Flickr

This second shot you will need to click through to see the full variety of effects possible..

U1040899 by scott kirkpatrick, on Flickr

Your shutter speed was too fast (1/250 and 1/800). Speeding's suggestion was to reduce the shutter speed with ND filter (longest with multi-shot is 1 sec). The gap between the shot may be less visible with long exposures per shot.

I tried multi shot mode this weekend myself

Camera was on a wooden post instead of a tripod.. 

Certainly got some artifacting from the water movement, and I should have shot with more DOF.

G1000049 by Steve, on Flickr

18 hours ago, SrMi said:

Your shutter speed was too fast (1/250 and 1/800). Speeding's suggestion was to reduce the shutter speed with ND filter (longest with multi-shot is 1 sec). The gap between the shot may be less visible with long exposures per shot.

I understood the suggestion.  The crops I posted were from a month ago.  The interval between the eight sharply resolved highlights is the image extraction time. which won't change.  Making each image blurred would stretch those highlights into less easily-distinguished blurs, and place the gaps further apart, but you would lose the way some of the faster card become just a string of Christmas lights.  The extreme examples of long exposures are early wet plate pictures of the streets of Paris.  They may have been crowded with pedestrians, but after several minutes of exposure, they all just disappeared, leaving only paving stones.

I tried Multishot with my SL2, S-120 lens, Elpro 1:1, adapter with electronic shutter on a copy stand. All perfectly leveled and aligned with Negative Supply light pad and precision film holders.

I then manually tried a few exposure  bracketing frames with Multishot,  opened and composited in LR "merge", then exported back to C1 as 16bit tiff, Pro Photo color space. (unfortunately , when you export as "original' or "dng" from LR, C1 cannot read the file) (maybe its not possible?). Anyway the Multishot digital 35mm capture results are amazing!!!  Far exceeds expensive Heidelberg drum scans! I couldn't figure out a way to turn on exposure bracket while in Multishot mode. The SL2 allows 2 second shutter timer,  so it would be nice if there was an option to also shoot 3-5 exp bracketed frames in MS mode. 

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, bsmith said:

I tried Multishot with my SL2, S-120 lens, Elpro 1:1, adapter with electronic shutter on a copy stand. All perfectly leveled and aligned with Negative Supply light pad and precision film holders.

I then manually tried a few exposure  bracketing frames with Multishot,  opened and composited in LR "merge", then exported back to C1 as 16bit tiff, Pro Photo color space. (unfortunately , when you export as "original' or "dng" from LR, C1 cannot read the file) (maybe its not possible?). Anyway the Multishot digital 35mm capture results are amazing!!!  Far exceeds expensive Heidelberg drum scans! I couldn't figure out a way to turn on exposure bracket while in Multishot mode. The SL2 allows 2 second shutter timer,  so it would be nice if there was an option to also shoot 3-5 exp bracketed frames in MS mode. 

I am using the multishot DMG and original DMG in C1P just fine, looks great. Capture one can open the raw files, you don't need to make a TIFF

Yes the original dng looks fine in C1.  BUT..., after merging the exp. bracketed frames in LR merge or any other HDR plugin, the "DNG" exported after the 3-5 frame "merge", will not open in C1(if final editing steps are necessary) SO, one must "export" as a 16bit tiff when going back to C1 (if required). So in other words, a LR exported dng is not able to open in C1. thats why I do need to make a tiff.   I go to LR, because C1 does not have a "Merge" menu.

16 hours ago, bsmith said:

Yes the original dng looks fine in C1.  BUT..., after merging the exp. bracketed frames in LR merge or any other HDR plugin, the "DNG" exported after the 3-5 frame "merge", will not open in C1(if final editing steps are necessary) SO, one must "export" as a 16bit tiff when going back to C1 (if required). So in other words, a LR exported dng is not able to open in C1. thats why I do need to make a tiff.   I go to LR, because C1 does not have a "Merge" menu.

That makes sense, the DMG from Lightroom is not a camera raw file. It is a file that carries all the settings and adjustments Lightroom had performed. 

The exported DMG is only available in Lightroom or Photoshop, and it is not compatible with any other program.  Some DMG exports open fine in C1P but you can not carry the setting over, you will start fresh with the embedded original DMG.

It is similar in many other programs, C1P can export original with EIP data.

10 hours ago, Photoworks said:

That makes sense, the DMG from Lightroom is not a camera raw file. It is a file that carries all the settings and adjustments Lightroom had performed. 

The exported DMG is only available in Lightroom or Photoshop, and it is not compatible with any other program.  Some DMG exports open fine in C1P but you can not carry the setting over, you will start fresh with the embedded original DMG.

It is similar in many other programs, C1P can export original with EIP data.

Please note that those are DNG (digital negative) files, not DMG (disk image) files.
C1 can read DNG files that contain LrC settings and adjustments but disregards that metadata. The output of LrC HDR (and Helicon Focus) is a linear DNG. C1 officially supports linear DNG, but they do not support "different flavors, versions, and interpretations." C1 supports only DNG files coming directly from cameras.

1 hour ago, SrMi said:

Please note that those are DNG (digital negative) files, not DMG (disk image) files.
C1 can read DNG files that contain LrC settings and adjustments but disregards that metadata. The output of LrC HDR (and Helicon Focus) is a linear DNG. C1 officially supports linear DNG, but they do not support "different flavors, versions, and interpretations." C1 supports only DNG files coming directly from cameras.

That's what I did. In LR (from edit with of C1), I only "merged" the bracketed exposures and then exported as a DNG (not DMG) but C1 could not open the LR exported DNG. I tried twice. 

I know I can export as 16bit tiff (and did) but I wanted to see if the LR DNG would work