Leica SL2 Firmware 2.0: 187 MP Multishot Mode

LUF Admin

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Leica has just released firmware version 2.0 for the Leica SL2. The most important new feature is the new Multishot mode: 

In this mode, the Leica SL2 takes eight images, each shifted by half a pixel. From this data the camera calculates an image with the spectacular resolution of 187 megapixels!

» Download Firmware 2.0 and installation instructions

All improvements:
Multishot

• With Multishot the user can create photos with a resolution up to 187MP. o One photo will be taken at normal resolution (47MP) and one at high resolution (187MP).

Improvement on the Video Menu GUI

• In the submenus of the video mode, a white highlighted header shows that the user operates in video mode.

Improvement on the AF field size setting

• The AF-field size can be changed with a long tap without moving the AF field.

SD-Card naming

• After formatting the SD-Card, the card will be named with “Leica SL2”.

Official Leica Camera press release:

Leica SL2 - Firmware Update 2.0 Multishot Mode and further improvements.

Wetzlar, June 19, 2020. Leica Camera AG has released the latest firmware update for the Leica SL2. In addition to minor improvements in the graphical interface of the video menu, a more convenient control of the AF field size and a new naming routine of SD cards after the in-camera formatting, the Multishot mode that is now available stands out. With the help of the Sensor Shift Technology used in the SL2, the camera produces a 47 megapixel image in Multishot mode, as well as a second image with around 187 megapixels. To create this, the camera takes up to eight sequential images, with the sensor being shifted in half- pixel increments between each shot. The result is an extreme increase in the detail resolution of the generated DNG data, which is particularly effective when taking pictures from a tripod. The Firmware Update Version 2.0 for the Leica SL2 will be available for download on the Leica Camera AG website from June 19, 2020.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

I tried just putting the .lfu file into the root of my current chip and that did not work.  The new "chip naming" seems to matter.  Once I formatted a chip in the camera and added the new firmware file to it, things have started up properly.  The formatted chip that I used for the update did not save my settings, even though I asked it to, and when I put back the chip with which I had been shooting, my user profiles seem to have been lost.  So I'll have to set up and save them again.  It's putting files into the L100 directory, regardless of what I was doing before on the chip or the previous chip.  It also didn't seem to save my user profiles.

I used Fotos to get the time and date input correctly.  I erased the camera from Fotos and paired it again.  Connection with one empty chip was almost instantaneous.  Date and time transferred correctly.  But cleaning out records of file number and profiles is bad.  We went through this sort of firmware upgrade side effect, losing track of the file numbers, with the SL[601], but this is even worse.  Using the old chip, I uploaded my old profile, but only some things uploaded.  Have to reset copyright info, the leading character of the file names.  And the sequencing is lost.

All will be forgiven eventually, as long as there are improvements, HiRes, and biugfixes...  But you wish Leica could learn these things.

Edited by scott kirkpatrick
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just installed the firmware and need to check it more, but very sadly I get still the battery warning problem. Using a Sigma MC-21 with Zeiss Milvus ZE (EF) lenses. "Battery too low for 4K or burst". The battery is about 90% charged tough! 

That is really a bummer for a € 6000 flag ship camera!

Leica support just will forward it to the technicians, but do not know when there would be a fix... Really? 

Advertisement (gone after registration)

13 minutes ago, simonoz said:

I have it working. Make sure you export profiles to a seperate card before the instal if you don't want to lose them. Then import them back into camera after instal.

Thanks... once exported to a second card...after updating FW... just put that card back in camera... and reload profiles??

I'm trying out multi-shot.  It's at the end of the drive mode list and you can get to it on the quick menu.  One extremely annoying thing.  I put the camera on a tripod set up multishot and start to aim, and an error message saying that the camera is vibrating takes over the screen so that I cannot aim.  The fix is to set everything up in a normal mode, then make the camera stable and switch to multishot.  So that's what I've done.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Donzo98 said:

Thanks... once exported to a second card...after updating FW... just put that card back in camera... and reload profiles??

Yes, and most settings will be saved.  Your file numbers will reset to some hard to control alternative.  Fields of text, like copyright info and artist name, will be lost and you have to reenter.

2 minutes ago, scott kirkpatrick said:

Yes, and most settings will be saved.  Your file numbers will reset to some hard to control alternative.  Fields of text, like copyright info and artist name, will be lost and you have to reenter.

Does the card holding the profiles need to be formatted as well?? Or just any storage card...

6 minutes ago, Leica Guy said:

Is Multishot possible because of the SL2 having IBIS? Just curious. Thanks. 

Likely; IBIS and OIS is deactivated during Multishot, so I guess IBIS is core to the sensor shift. 

7 minutes ago, Greggles said:

Multishot turns off IBIS and OIS

Thanks. I’m ignorant on this topic, but I could imagine they turn off IBIS so they can use it for pixel-shift. It’s an academic curiosity and clearly does not affect how one might use the camera. Hopefully they’ll be more explanation of this in articles that are published. 

I confess to being completely underwhelmed by the firmware update.

There is precisely zero here in terms of improved functionality that I wished for. Multishot is a gimmick with very limited use and the increased resolution not worth the effort.

I've just bought a second Lumix S1R (used, but mint for a ridiculously low price compared to Leica) and the SL2 I've been using as a second landscape body will now only be used for travel and general snapping with SL primes. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Not sure if this affects anyone else, but I lost the customised assignment of the top left function button in all my user profiles after the update and the re-import of the user profiles. After the update it is switching between photo and video mode instead of switching between user profiles (which is how I had configured it in all of my user profiles).

28 minutes ago, Leica Guy said:

Is Multishot possible because of the SL2 having IBIS? Just curious. Thanks. 

IBIS moves the sensor to compensate for your movement.  Multishot moves the sensor to take 8 shots spaced at half-pixel intervals.  So the camera can only do one or the other.  Turning OIS off would be a part of turning IBIS off to enable multishot.  It works.  I'll start another thread to show some results.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Aktenschrank said:

Not sure if this affects anyone else, but I lost the customised assignment of the top left function button in all my user profiles after the update and the re-import of the user profiles. After the update it is switching between photo and video mode instead of switching between user profiles (which is how I had configured it in all of my user profiles).

I'm finding that not all things in the user profiles make the transition.  My example was text in the copyright field, and the first letter of filenames.  Your example is one more.  Let's keep a list.  This firmware seems rushed, shall we say.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, sebas_ said:

Just installed the firmware and need to check it more, but very sadly I get still the battery warning problem. Using a Sigma MC-21 with Zeiss Milvus ZE (EF) lenses. "Battery too low for 4K or burst". The battery is about 90% charged tough! 

That is really a bummer for a € 6000 flag ship camera!

Leica support just will forward it to the technicians, but do not know when there would be a fix... Really? 

Ive the same problem - im very surprised this is happening - what to do now ? 

Edited by Lili Lettice Leatherby
  • Like 1