Batterry Leica Q2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello everyone.
Yesterday I purchased a new battery for the Leica Q2.
I put it on charge all night, but the charger always shows the green charging light (steady) and the orange light (steady) which indicates the charge at eighty percent.
In your opinion, a battery problem or is it right that the light of the eighty percent charge remains on?
Can someone help me?
Thanks in advance.
Roberto

It means that it is fully charge.

Blinking green and orange off = charging (still under 80%)

Blinking green and steady orange = 80% charged but keep charging

Steady green and steady orange = fully charge (please unplug)

• Like 4

I have three batteries for my Q2.  I install a fully charged battery only when the blinking red "empty battery" warning icon pops up for the battery in the camera. 

I'm not so sure that today's high tech Lithium Ion batteries will develop a memory and not fully charge, but why take a chance on ruining a $275 USD battery?

• 4 weeks later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 6/26/2020 at 5:03 PM, Herr Barnack said:

I have three batteries for my Q2.  I install a fully charged battery only when the blinking red "empty battery" warning icon pops up for the battery in the camera. 

I'm not so sure that today's high tech Lithium Ion batteries will develop a memory and not fully charge, but why take a chance on ruining a $275 USD battery?

Hello, 

Why in this case a 80% step?

Since this is a battery post, I just want to rant why a camera battery has to cost $275 plus tax (in the US).  I know it's a Leica (or I should say, another brand with Leica slapped on it) but it's a bit much to swallow...especially since this is a wear and tear item...

Ok, I feel better now...

Back to shooting pics...

😝

Have you priced an oil change on a Ferrari lately. OMG. Depending on the model, it can be unreasonably expensive. I too hate the price of some of the Leica products, but I love the brand and the memories I make simply using the cameras. Your rant is accepted. Now let’s go have fun taking photos that are great memories! 

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

The battery health debate/discussion is everywhere, with people charging cellphones.

The 80% thing has to do with charge time, as the last 20% takes more time to charge than the first 80%.  Another 80/20 rule...

Nitecore actually does not charge as full as 100%, and it is a little slower than the Leica charger.  However, I prefer Nitecore since I can plug in a low voltage USB source that it charges at 400mA (it is capable of charging at 1000mA with the right USB charger).  Generally, "trickle" charge greatly improves battery life.

A few considerations.

The fully charged Q2 battery generally last a full day.  Unless I am doing a lot of video or playback, I never had battery run out even during long days with 700+ shots.  Having said that, you definitely need a spare battery.  It took me 4 months before I found a spare battery (less than $200 in Tokyo, but still expensive), and it sucks to constantly worry about battery running.  I was carrying Nitecore and a USB bank all the time, and it really sucks.

Leica manual is correct that you need to fully deplete and charge batteries initially for batteries to reach full capacity.  This to me is annoying, as a $275 dollar product should not require additional customer tweaking (unless you are an audible believing in 1000 hours speaker burn in). 

As expensive as these batteries are, battery cycle is probably something we should not think about much.  It will be 300 cycles before it degrading, and at 500 cycle they are still usable.  Unless you are a pro shooting with the same Q2 everyday and all day, you probably need to charge it once or twice week.  That translates to 3 years or 6 years before you reach 300 cycles.  Spending a lot of time worrying about battery longevity probably not worth it.

Ranting about costs, I have more beef with Nitecore.  Leica is relative small company with tight quality control and high marketing costs, and obviously being a German companies they have sourcing difficulties with Chinese suppliers.  Nitecore is a Chinese company that sells Sony chargers (that charges 2 batteries) for $20 but Leica charger for $60?  Nitecore's MBAs certainly understand the concept of consumer surplus, and talk about greedy pricing scheme by a shady Chinese company!

• Like 1

On 7/24/2020 at 12:38 PM, cj3209 said:

Since this is a battery post, I just want to rant why a camera battery has to cost $275 plus tax (in the US).  I know it's a Leica (or I should say, another brand with Leica slapped on it) but it's a bit much to swallow...especially since this is a wear and tear item...

You are right, but the question should rather be: Why is the battery EUR 130 (ca. $150) in Germany and $275 in the US?

• Like 1

I'm waiting for other companies (like Nitecore) to create Q2 alternative batteries.  I contacted Nitecore and they said they would look into it. 

I use alternative batteries for my CL (Wasabi Power...lol) and they last longer than the Leica battery for the CL.

Cheers!

CJ

2 hours ago, sfphoto said:

We are talking about the battery for the Q2: Leica BP-SCL4 (not the smaller, cheaper one for the Leica Q).

Unfortunately this has to do with it being made in China.  The Q2 battery is outsourced to a Chinese company (made in Xiamen, China), and as we know, currently there is a trade war between China and the US.  Bought my battery in Tokyo and it was about $150 at the time.