Online zoom meeting?

Lothar

Advertisement (gone after registration)

This is an extracted idea from another thread to make it by its own.

Hello friends,

I am a software engineer based in France and I work in remote mode since years (way before the pandemic). It works quite well for me and my colleagues.

So I am wondering if we could set up an online meeting for members of this forum who would be interested?

My intention is really just listening and chatting with you guys. Nothing more. Like a bunch of people sharing their passion and getting even more good vibes. 🥰

I have no clear idea what we could do precisely. Maybe share our work? Our tips? Maybe organise collaborative projects?

If you are interested please comment into this thread. You can also answer those questions:

• In what timezone are you?
  • What would you expect from this kind of "online" gathering?

🙏

Edited by Lothar
  • Like 1

Sounds good. Either a coffee/tea or a G&T/whiskey session where we all just shoot the breeze. Problem could be with numbers of people (too few too many). 

If you can, set a meeting up in European evening time zone (will cover USA morning/afternoon). If it is successful, we can set them up so that we can cover other time zones too, but I think most members are European or Americas based? 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Sandokan said:

Sounds good. Either a coffee/tea or a G&T/whiskey session where we all just shoot the breeze. Problem could be with numbers of people (too few too many). 

If you can, set a meeting up in European evening time zone (will cover USA morning/afternoon). If it is successful, we can set them up so that we can cover other time zones too, but I think most members are European or Americas based? 

+1

• Like 2

On 6/21/2020 at 9:33 AM, Sandokan said:

This is where trouble starts: Uisge is gaelic for water. By changing just the spelling to “whiskey” or “whisky”, the islanders had an excuse to pollute the water with alcohol.  Still quite a shabby excuse for a drink though.  And the alcohol is derived from barley, which is refused by pigs as food*. I won’t even start on the origin of G&T.  

to the topic starter: nice thought.  I’m interested. Will bring noble wine, red, north Italian.

* High-fiber concentration in barley limits its use in most pig and poultry diets, except in diets designed to control diarrheas in young animals.

😀

Edited by larsv

Gosh - I spelt whisky wrong! 

All spirits are bad ... except maybe cognac and rum. Vodka = potatoes (and thats the good stuff). Schnapps = paint stripper. Kirsch = schnapps with airs of grandeur. I only recently converted to gin - you can tell that as I only have 2 bottles in the house but a dozen whisky and 4 cognac/armagnac. I do like the Dutch gins though. 

You live and learn - pigs can eat chestnuts but not barley; I guess a constipated pig would be a terrible sight. 

How about Friday 26 June at 19:00 GMT? Who has a zoom account? 

I will join with an old Barolo - probably past its sell by date but I was saving it for the visit of the person who gave it to me, but you lot will do instead! 

Advertisement (gone after registration)

16 minutes ago, Sandokan said:

Gosh - I spelt whisky wrong

No, you did not. You must have been thinking about the 'real stuff'. Where I come from it is always spelt 'whiskey'. It comes from 'uisce beatha' ( 't' is silent, so pronounced 'baha') which means 'water of life' or 'eau de vie' as they say in some parts of France. Now if you really want to raise the hairs on your head you would need to drink poitin or poteen, which was a traditional illegal pot still spirit, but is now marketed as a legal drink, which does not really compare with the 'good stuff' from the old days. Somebody gave me some illegal stuff when I was a young fella even before I started to drink beer and told me it was peppermint cordial and I gave it a good swig to suddenly find that my mouth as on fire. 

Poitin is good for getting rid of unwanted guests if you just keep insisting that you want to pour them another little drop. Another good one is Scandinavian Aquavit or Akvavit which also means 'water of life'. In fact, I think it does unwanted guest removal even faster than poitin.

If you are going to be drinking some of the above mentioned spirits at the Zoom meeting, it would need to be kept nice and short before the spirits take over from the participants.

William

• Haha 2

Aye laddie, but I'm fra Glesgae ... and its only double distilled without any added "e"!  Uisgea Beatha

Dos Lineas (twice across the equator) is an easy to drink aqvavit fresh from the freezer. Then again - I've never had it warm so it may be awful. 

Looking forward to Friday.