M10 Monochrom vs M246

Illaron

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Can anyone point me to a good hands-on comparison between the two latest Monochrom versions? I have been on the fence regarding the M246, but not my decision has gotten more complicated. I understand the increase in megapixels could be advantageous, but how wide is the gap in other image related areas?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, jaapv said:

All three Monochroms are different in rendering . A matter of taste. In real life the megapixel jump is the least of considerations. 

I find the M10 renders closer to the M9 than the M240. Is that also true of the M10m, that it renders closer to the M9m than the M246?

• Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 6/17/2020 at 6:36 AM, Kwesi said:

Thank you for this testing. Now comes the difficult task to pick one of these beauties. I have been uncertain which one to pick for a while, but it was mainly choosing between M10. M10P, SL. and SL2. Now add to the mix the M10 Monochrom or M 246.

Edited by Raid Amin
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/19/2020 at 4:21 PM, Raid Amin said:

Thank you for this testing. Now comes the difficult task to pick one of these beauties. I have been uncertain which one to pick for a while, but it was mainly choosing between M10. M10P, SL. and SL2. Now add to the mix the M10 Monochrom or M 246.

100% M10M all day of those two choices.  I had the M246 2-3 times and never grew to like it for a myriad of reasons. The M10M was love out of the box. (Even more so than the M9M which I adore to this day)

Edited by dkmoore
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mikep996 said:

OTOH, we used to just choose whether to put some color film in the camera or some B/W film in the camera.  Now we need two 7-8000 USD cameras to do the same thing? HEY...that's progress for you! ;) 

We’ll find out if the expected M10-R changes that equation for some.

Jeff

As an owner of both cameras, the M10M since last week, I'll mention the two things that are impressing me

* It's an M10, so the body is much nicer in the hand, more responsive, the EVF is better when I need it etc etc

* The sensor is astonishing. I have useable handheld portraits in moonlight at 100,000 ISO and have found that at base ISO I can underexpose a backlit subject by 5 stops, hold detail in the sky around the sun and still bring back the foreground with negligible noise. Taking banding into account, which was what limited the M246 high ISO to 10,000 for me, I'm happy to shoot at 50,000 without fear and my 100,000 ISO shots are mostly usable without noise reduction.

• Like 1