Leica R3 + Summilux-R 50mm/1,4 (Safari)

Alberto2020

Advertisement (gone after registration)

First of all hello to everyone, 

Being new to this forum I hope that I have choosen the right section. 

Recently, during a Covid-19 clean up, we have found a Leica R3 Safari in our basement, originally owned by my grandfather. Attached to it was a Summilux-R 50mm/1,4 (safari too). I was surprised that the camera was still in a like-new condition, perhaps didnt see much service back in the days. Out of interest we conducted some research about production etc. So apparently it was amongst the first 1000 batch that was produced (792). We took it to a local store that is trading Leica and they ran a check on it. To their own surprise it is fully functioning, must have been out of use for at least 25 years. When I explained to the nice storekeeper that I wanted to use the camera on a more frequent basis (following grandpas tracks), he mentioned that he wouldnt, simply because he hasn´t seen any R3 Safari in this condition for years. 

Long story short, we conducted some research on what it might be worth to someone (nothing crazy, we know), however it was difficult to determine a proper price, since many of the offered R3 Safaris seem to be malfunctioning to some extent. We dont want to sell it, however it would be calming to at least know what one is handling when taking it out or at least determining how frequently to use it.

We were hoping that someone with vast experience on these cameras might be able to help out. 

Thank you in advance already and please stay healthy everyone ;)

best regards,

Alberto

Depending on where you are in the world, I personally would take it to the Leica store in Mayfair as they have some very knowledgable & friendly staff that could give you a ballpark figure.

Either way it's a great find.

Edited by jaapv
valuation removed

• 1 month later...

Two things: First, the R3 was a terribly  glitchy body.  It was the first of the R series and was improved upon all the way down the line to the very capable R6s, R9s, and even the much later S typ 007s,  If it's in perfect working order now, I can guarantee you that using it will remedy that straight away.  

2nd the R system is the red headed step child of the Leica family.  Although you have a rather rare example in the safari edition, it is still the bottom of the list when it comes to collectible Leicas garnering tens of thousands...

I would suggest that if you want to follow in your granddad's tracks, do what he did and sit it up on a shelf somewhere and save yourself the stress of breaking it.  :) 

Edited by BlackPaint
  • Like 2

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 2/21/2021 at 7:33 PM, jaapv said:

Not my experience - the one I had (long ago) was virtually bomb-proof and served me well on a number of safaris. Not surprising - it was the same camera as the Minolta XE-1 (XE-7)

Exactly. Build like a tank, Shutter sound like a cannon! Indestructible. Too heavy!