Leica FOTOS free version is quite handy as a remote

LeicaS2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have read nothing but complaints here on the “Pro” version, but we are not forced to purchase it. I use the free version regularly as a iPhone based remote. I have used it with my S, my M10M, and my CL. It is not flawless but it’s getting easier as I use it more often. 
Today I was doing an event assignment at a restaurant opening. Many people social distancing outside. I wanted candid shots and I was shooting a CL with the 11mm-23mm zoom. With super wide shots, it’s sometimes best to have the camera lower at waist level. The CL doesn’t have an articulating screen, so I set up my iPhone to be the articulating screen which frankly handles bright outdoor light better than most camera screens. Camera in my left hand, iPhone above it in my right hand. People ignored the camera and assumed I was merely looking at my iPhone as so many waiting people do anyway. The setup connection was thankfully quick, and the connection never disconnected, unlike most other people’s experiences. What especially surprised me was the battery in the camera did not go down as fast as I was prepared for. This is the way I will go for candids in the future. Are other people having any success stories?

Jack

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Thanks 1

I have to admit that I haven't seen any point in the Fotos App up to now.  I have never downloaded a photo from any camera I'm using to my iPhone.  If I want a pic on the iPhone, I take it with the iPhone!  I tried the Fotos app a couple of times just to see that it works.  I had no use for the remote control option...as far as I knew.

HOWEVER...your post makes it clear that I was wrong about that.  I was thinking about it in terms of remote camera placement - watching hummingbirds at a feeder, etc,  which is not something I do.  I had not thought about it in the manner in which you used it at the restaurant opening - using it to control the camera so you are not obviously "photographing."  I can see that as quite useful to me in certain situations.  

Thanks for posting!

11 hours ago, LeicaS2 said:

I have read nothing but complaints here on the “Pro” version, but we are not forced to purchase it. I use the free version regularly as a iPhone based remote. I have used it with my S, my M10M, and my CL. It is not flawless but it’s getting easier as I use it more often.......

I gave up on the Fotos App just after I purchased the SL2, following a few APP freeze ups, hits & misses. Lazy rainy day here today, your post got me thinking about retrying it as a remote.  I re-downloaded the App, connected it to the M10, CL & SL2, played around on my iPhone & iPad & all seems to work fine, no problems as far as I can tell.

Does anyone know if the Free version is only for the iPhone?  I downloaded the iPad version & it keeps trying to get me to sign up for the paid version, which I'm not interested in.

Thanks   -Mike