Leica CL screen / monitor quality

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Just saw this thread. My CL's LCD certainly doesn't have this fault, and I do consider it an assembly fault: The edges of the LCD/backlight assembly seem to be improperly sealed, allowing light to pipe into the LCD cover glass and illuminate dust in the space between the cover glass and the LCD.

Good that your dealer has allowed you to return/exchange the camera! I don't think it's typical of the CL, only a defect in manufacture of that particular unit. 

I had a similar issue with a Hasselblad component. Hasselblad USA's service/repair tech said that the problem I was seeing was 'normal', but the customer service person listened to me and sent the item off to Sweden for evaluation. Hasselblad engineering responded that there was indeed a problem (variance control on that component caused it to surface periodically) and that they were planning an update to the component's production to solve that problem in the near future; they put me on the warranty replacement list for whenever that replacement might become available.

I suspect something similar might happen if/when Leica engineering in Germany is made aware of this defect. I'd certainly hope that that unit be refurbished and the LCD/backllight assembly replaced with a properly assembled one before the camera is resold to another user.

G

1 minute ago, ramarren said:

Just saw this thread. My CL's LCD certainly doesn't have this fault, and I do consider it an assembly fault: The edges of the LCD/backlight assembly seem to be improperly sealed, allowing light to pipe into the LCD cover glass and illuminate dust in the space between the cover glass and the LCD.

Good that your dealer has allowed you to return/exchange the camera! I don't think it's typical of the CL, only a defect in manufacture of that particular unit. 

I had a similar issue with a Hasselblad component. Hasselblad USA's service/repair tech said that the problem I was seeing was 'normal', but the customer service person listened to me and sent the item off to Sweden for evaluation. Hasselblad engineering responded that there was indeed a problem (variance control on that component caused it to surface periodically) and that they were planning an update to the component's production to solve that problem in the near future; they put me on the warranty replacement list for whenever that replacement might become available.

I suspect something similar might happen if/when Leica engineering in Germany is made aware of this defect. I'd certainly hope that that unit be refurbished and the LCD/backllight assembly replaced with a properly assembled one before the camera is resold to another user.

G

I hope so too, that they will send it to Leica for evaluation and not just to another customer...

BUT the camera was in Wetzlar, examined by a technician that the customer service person claimed was highly experienced. It was at the source in Wetzlar... examined by an experienced technician and evaluated as "normal". Then I complained, let them examine it again, this time they claimed two technicians checked it. Again: "This is normal, nothing will be done and it will be sent back to you, sorry I can't tell you anything else." 
That's what has me so shocked... it wasn't in Leica New Jersey or Tokyo, then being sent to Wetzlar where they took care of the problem. I'm stuck in Germany right now and so could send it to Wetzlar directly. To no avail. 

I'd chalk it up to a bad experience in a bad time, and let it go. The dealer is taking care of you so the problem is now between Leica and them.

I suspect that a lot of the folks doing this sort of "non-essential" work have been pretty distracted in the past few months by the world events unfolding around them... I was mighty pleased to even be able to get Hasselblad's attention in the middle of a pandemic, and acknowledgment that I wasn't just seeing things. :)

G

1 minute ago, ramarren said:

I'd chalk it up to a bad experience in a bad time, and let it go. The dealer is taking care of you so the problem is now between Leica and them.

I suspect that a lot of the folks doing this sort of "non-essential" work have been pretty distracted in the past few months by the world events unfolding around them... I was mighty pleased to even be able to get Hasselblad's attention in the middle of a pandemic, and acknowledgment that I wasn't just seeing things. :)

G

That's a healthy and positive attitude. It's helpful to read "emotional" advice like that in a forum like this. :)

1 hour ago, Marckyokay said:

I'm absolutely baffled how Leica can accept this as normal and pass it on to the customer again.

+1. Glad you got a return option, which is not the case in all countries. Behaviors like that can only be an incentive to litigation.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

My CL does not have this issue either, I'm glad you got it sorted. Very poor show from Leica & very surprised to be honest, here in UK the service at Leica Mayfair in London has always been exceptional. The dealer has been very helpful and kind to accept the camera back, they will stand a better chance to simply send it back to Leica as broken, I hope.

Anyway, all sorted, the CL is a brilliant camera, and you live in a nice part of Japan too. Yokattane.

1 minute ago, Marac said:

My CL does not have this issue either, I'm glad you got it sorted. Very poor show from Leica & very surprised to be honest, here in UK the service at Leica Mayfair in London has always been exceptional. The dealer has been very helpful and kind to accept the camera back, they will stand a better chance to simply send it back to Leica as broken, I hope.

Anyway, all sorted, the CL is a brilliant camera, and you live in a nice part of Japan too. Yokattane.

Thanks, currently I'm not in 神奈川 anymore, I suspect Japanese return policies would have made it VERY hard for me to return it to the dealer, but Japanese customer service would have probably taken the "defect" more seriously than the Germans... As I wrote I sent the camera to Wetzlar directly (from within Germany) and sadly I saw the dealer already putting it up for sale again, but as second-grade.