Leica CL screen / monitor quality

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hey everyone, 

This is maybe less a question specific to the CL and more about the Leica digital camera lineup. 

How is the monitor / back screen quality on your models? 
I had a TL, Q and Type 240 and never noticed any issue. 

My CL on the other hand now has some strange red and green pixel swarms at the corners of the display.
First I thought my sensor had an issue but then realised it's not the photos I review, it's just the screen quality. 
I already sent it to Leica and got a mail back explaining this is "light leaks" from the background illumination. So far so good. But they won't do anything about it. 
I'm kinda shocked and don't know if I should complain further or just swallow it. My older TL had a perfect screen...

I attached pictures so you know what I mean. 

Regards

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by Marckyokay

Due to the Corona situation all the customer service representatives are in home office and can't connect me to anyone over there in the technical facilities... They asked me to send an email which I did. Expressing my concern that I don't quite agree this being "normal". But the camera might be already on its way back to me before I get an answer. I'll see...

Edited by Marckyokay

21 minutes ago, DAVIDMC100 said:

I have never had issue on my CL. How old is your camera?

The manufacturing date is December 2017, although I bought it new at an official dealer a couple weeks ago... so it is barely used and Leica acknowledged the warranty. That's why I was shocked to read they don't feel like anything needs to be done.

Admittedly, I only recognised this issue when the LCD screen was cranked up to 100% brightness when I was outside on a sunny day. Then these green and red dots became apparent. But cranking up the brightness of any of my approximately 50 mobile/ touch screens I owned in the last 10 years never ever showed something like this. 

Edited by Marckyokay

Advertisement (gone after registration)

15 minutes ago, DAVIDMC100 said:

HMM, I mainly use viewfinder and probably have not ever had screen to 100%. If you turn down to say 80% does it look OK?

They are still visible with 80%, the screen looks okay at 50% but still visible. I could leave the brightness at that since I use the EVF mostly, I'm just not sure I should accept something like that from Leica.

Edited by Marckyokay

21 minutes ago, jaapv said:

Actually, I wonder what went wrong. It is most unlike Leica to react this way. Mostly it is the other way around, wanting to repair things that  the owner finds acceptable..

I wonder myself. When I attended to the Customer Care in Wetzlar I was always helped by Nicolas Kaufmann in an exemplary way. Now I just get a note the camera is in normal condition (acknowledging these “light leaks”) and will be sent back to me within the next few days and even calling customer care (in home office) can’t stop that... 

Seems I have to wait until the Corona restrictions are over and have to go there in person...

If anyone could try with their CL (or M10, I think it’s the same screens?) setting their display brightness to max, reporting back if anything similar occurs? 
I’be never had something like that and am baffled how it could be seen as normal...

People do work from home and the German restrictions are lifting. You could try and get Mr. Kaufmann on the telephone. You could try Andrea Frankl as well.
My CL shows nothing of the kind. If this were normal, the forum would be flooded with complaints.

1 hour ago, jaapv said:

People do work from home and the German restrictions are lifting. You could try and get Mr. Kaufmann on the telephone. You could try Andrea Frankl as well.
My CL shows nothing of the kind. If this were normal, the forum would be flooded with complaints.

Purely by chance I reached the  customer service representative who took care of the case initially in her home office. She confirmed that the technician who looked after this is very experienced and upon request had him check again. She called back and said according to the technician everything is normal and there is nothing they can do...

Apparently the background lighting illuminates individual LCD crystals differently and this is a normal effect. Especially when reviewing a dark picture in the dark with a bright screen this is “normal”. 
I beg to differ. Really disappointed. 

In that case I suppose that my camera is broken...🤢

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Marckyokay said:

That’s unfortunate ... glad mine works as it should. You need that LCD glitter...

But jokes aside, seeing now other CLs have good screens and mine is treated as if this were a normal LCD behavior, I’m kinda worried about the treatment by the Leica Customer Service... I have an M10 with a consistent green line on the sensor / photos when shooting ISO200 that appears when pushing the EV +3 (or more). So when I get the chance to bring the M10 to them they might tell me this is normal too...

Edited by Marckyokay

2 hours ago, lct said:

This is not acceptable at all. I would ask for a new camera of for a refund. 

Unfortunately it wasn't bought by Leica... I thought their Customer Service would take care of it anyway. I'm outside the return period but will ask the seller anyway...
If that doesn't work I have to wait until I'm back in Wetzlar and until their doors are open again.

12 hours ago, Marckyokay said:

Unfortunately it wasn't bought by Leica... I thought their Customer Service would take care of it anyway. I'm outside the return period but will ask the seller anyway...
If that doesn't work I have to wait until I'm back in Wetzlar and until their doors are open again.

*Bought from Leica* not "by"... I can't seem to be able to edit the post. 

Edited by Marckyokay

On 6/16/2020 at 2:38 PM, DAVIDMC100 said:

HMM, I mainly use viewfinder and probably have not ever had screen to 100%. If you turn down to say 80% does it look OK?

Well to correct myself: It is even visible at the lowest screen brightness...
Just got the camera back from Wetzlar (of course without them doing anything about it) and must say it is even worse than I remember. 
I'm absolutely baffled how Leica can accept this as normal and pass it on to the customer again. 

Luckily I managed to convince the dealer that I can give it back, even though I was a some days behind the return period.