New L-mount lenses for APS-C

On 6/20/2020 at 4:25 AM, ramarren said:

don't need equivalences at all. just look in the viewfinder. if you actually have all of those formats to work with, well, shoot more and get to know what each one does. 

photography should not be an exercise in calculation and quibbling over numbers and specs. 

G

Not for me. I do equivalence calculations in my head all the time. Probably because I use cameras from 1" to 33x44 and almost everything in between. I'd do so less often if I used only one format. Knowing a 50mm 1.4 on APSC gives a somewhat similar, but not identical look to a 75mm f2.1 on a 24x36mm camera is useful to me.

To me, the more formats you work with, it's more useful knowing what they are equivalent to other formats , not less.

Gordon

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I shoot with everything from Minox 8x11mm to Mamiya Universal Press 6x9cm format. I find no need for equivalences at all: I know what the normal is for every format I use and can thus estimate very accurately what I'm going to get with any lens on any format because I've used every focal length lens I have on every interchangeable lens camera along the way. 

Once you know what the normal for a format gives you, figuring what other focal lengths do is easy and doesn't require an equivalence calculation. At least not for me.

G

• Like 3

Good for you. But bot everybody have the luxury to test and practice every lenses in the field. Just to know how they behave. 

Simple maths is easier, than hauling around the world, every existing lenses over every film/sensor format. 

What you are saying, is that practice trumps theory. But you are making it backwards for the vast majority of people. Because theory helps you, by saving a lot of time in choosing its lens in paper first, then enjoying it in the field. Without test driving everything. 

Equivalencies is not a digital invention. It has always existed. Especially in film world, where so many format fought against each other. 
However math is harder in analog, because film format has so many aspect ratios. Digital got only two : 3/2 & 4/3 

What makes you think I haul every lens on every format "around the world"? That would be impossible and it would be stupid. Do you think I do the impossible and am stupid? How many lenses and how many different formats do you carry "around the world" that you need to calculate field of view every time you pick up your camera to make a photograph? I don't see how you have any time at all to make photographs, if that's what you're doing. 

When I'm going "around the world" I choose which camera I'm going to use before I go, and I choose which two or three lenses I'm going to carry. I know, long before I go anywhere, exactly what each of the lenses I choose will do on the camera I'm going to carry. I spend my time making photographs, not considering or calculating equivalences. When I'm shooting, I know which of the lenses I will switch to without thinking at all when I feel I need a different lens from the one that is already on the camera. There's no calculation involved, just action and picture taking. 

G

Panasonic L1 + Summilux-D 25mm f/1.4 ASPH
ISO 100 @ f/5 @ 1/250

• Like 2

On 6/19/2020 at 6:13 PM, nicci78 said:

Just saying that 35mm is equivalent to 50mm is also false.
But people are quite happy to use it. But not the other one ? Isn’t that weird. 

35mm will stay as 35mm. No matter what.
But you still need to know the equivalency. Because you need to know what angle of view to expect. Just like you may need to know how thin the depth of field you can achieve with such lens. Hence the equivalency in aperture too. It is more useful than you think. 

Once you know it just be happy to use the lens as usual. As its real name suggest it. 

A Summilux-TL 35 f/1.4  on CL is a 35mm f/1.4 forever. It will never change. 
But it will give you the same angle of view and same minimum depth of field as the Summicron-M 50mm f/2 on the M10. 
Nothing more, nothing less. It is just to know the information. Exposure will follow real f/1.4 rule.

Something is sure Summilux-TL 35 on CL is not equivalent to Summilux-M 50 on M10. Absolutely not.  

I believe that it is better to give the full information to everybody, than hiding some facts, in fear that they will not understand it. Otherwise they might be misled. 

You know it, I know it. But the Internet "light gathering" trumpeters have muddied the waters for unsuspecting photographers. That is the real problem.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

19 hours ago, ramarren said:

I shoot with everything from Minox 8x11mm to Mamiya Universal Press 6x9cm format. I find no need for equivalences at all: I know what the normal is for every format I use and can thus estimate very accurately what I'm going to get with any lens on any format because I've used every focal length lens I have on every interchangeable lens camera along the way. 

Once you know what the normal for a format gives you, figuring what other focal lengths do is easy and doesn't require an equivalence calculation. At least not for me.

G

OK. I think we're actually doing the same thing. It's not like I carry around a spreadsheet with all my lenses listed. But I do know how the lens on one system compares to another. Like you I know where every *standard* focal length is and work from there. I know a short portrait lens like the 90mm Hasselblad lens will act a bit like a 75mm 2.8 if I were carrying a 135 format system. It's not something I need to think about. It's just there.

Gordon

• Like 1

Oh yes I remember that one. Olympus has always been sneaky. Always been first to convert anything in the way that looks good to their 4/3 system. 

I also remember that Chasseur d’images (the biggest photo magazine in Europe) always stated that Olympus were wrong not to bring up aperture equivalency for depth of field. Whereas they proudly advertised about their focal length equivalency. They also not happy about Olympus lying about their tiny viewfinder  equivalency. 

I guess that, not that many people believe them. And now Olympus has to sold to wolves their camera business. 
You should be worried, because JIP made a pretty bad job about Sony former PC division Vaio. 

JIP just help big Japanese company to avoid a Japanese law preventing them to close down a division themselves. So they have to sell it instead. 

Edited by nicci78

• 2 weeks later...

i'd sort of like to have a 16/1.4 for my cl, but the specs on the new sigma apc are putting me off. i think it's like 3.5-3.75" long and 2.75" diameter and considering that we're all having to avoid the indoors, the speed doesn't matter that much. only the 56mm seems compact enough to work comfortably on the cl and i already have relatively fast /m/ lenses in 50 and 75mm.

anyone actually mounted the 16mm on the cl yet who could describe how it looks and handles? tks! /guy

Am 15.7.2020 um 15:45 schrieb geoffreyg:

Am renting the 100-400 Sigma from Lensrentals for a week, starting next week. Will report.

Would be nice to see a picture of it attached to an APS-C Leica

Tbo,  I'm looking for a smaller Telezoom, like a 55-250 or max. 70-300 ...

Edited by cp995

26 minutes ago, cp995 said:

Agreed, but gee, 600mm equivalent and IS may make it good for birding w CL. Never had a long tele.

4 hours ago, cp995 said:

Here you go.. with and without lens hood, this at 100mm - it extends around 3.5 inches more at 400mm.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

In fairness, it looks more of a handful than it feels.

Edited by Boojay
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

19 hours ago, Boojay said:

Here you go.. with and without lens hood, this at 100mm - it extends around 3.5 inches more at 400mm.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

In fairness, it looks more of a handful than it feels.

Doesn`t look to bad actually ,very tempting .

I like the half case too , I see it accommodates the grip .

I`ll have to have a look around for one of those .

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Michael Markey said:

Doesn`t look to bad actually ,very tempting .

I like the half case too , I see it accommodates the grip .

I`ll have to have a look around for one of those .

Michael, it's the Lim's case with grip and dovetail plate, I was really lucky, a forum member gifted me his and sent it all the way to UK from USA when he gave up his CL.  I actually like the CL bare with most lenses but anything long or weighty, or for tripod use,  and the case/grip is a godsend, no need to remove to access battery and card slot. Sure they are available from other places but found this one on fleabay, just gives you the specs.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LIMS-Genuine-Leather-Camera-Half-Case-Dovetail-Plate-Grip-For-Leica-CL-BR-/253462320749

Edited by Boojay
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Boojay said:

Michael, it's the Lim's case with grip and dovetail plate, I was really lucky, a forum member gifted me his and sent it all the way to UK from USA when he gave up his CL.  I actually like the CL bare with most lenses but anything long or weighty, or for tripod use,  and the case/grip is a godsend, no need to remove to access battery and card slot. Sure they are available from other places but found this one on fleabay, just gives you the specs.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LIMS-Genuine-Leather-Camera-Half-Case-Dovetail-Plate-Grip-For-Leica-CL-BR-/253462320749

Thank you .... I`ll have a mooch around .

• Like 1