New L-mount lenses for APS-C

Advertisement (gone after registration)

16 minutes ago, cp995 said:

True, but it will be a 150-600 m on the CL and maybe the answer to a lot of prayers. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Kay Tetzlaff said:

And they will also release L-mount teleconverters ... meaning you can reach focal lengths with CL that were impossible so far.

True. But at the long end, wide open will be f/6.3. With a teleconverter that will make it f/8 or even more. Without IBIS, we have to be realistic about handheld shots with reasonable ISO...at least this old guy has to be. 😀

Edited by bags27
  • Like 1

The three f/1.4 primes are well regarded and, as they are designed for APS-C, reasonably sized for a CL or TL2 body. I’m happy with the balance of the 56/1.4 on my A6600. That doesn’t mean I’ll feel a need to buy the same lens in a second mount ...

I’m not interested in the 100-400 as my needs for long glass are met in other systems (with faster continuous focus). But at least the rumoured 100-400 will have image stabilisation so the f/5~6.3 is a bit easier to work with. It’s good to have options, even if you chose to not use them.

6 hours ago, bags27 said:

True, but it will be a 150-600 m on the CL and maybe the answer to a lot of prayers. 

To my prayers certainly - provided it is of acceptable quality. It would be the end of my MFT system.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, bags27 said:

Probably good to wait until it's available and give it a test run, Ken.  If it's a reworking of the DSLR 100-400mm Contemporary, light transmission wide open is more like f/8-f/9, and will send ISO soaring on an APS-C camera in anything less than good outdoor light.

I had two different copies of the DSLR version, one for Nikon, which was sharp with excellent fine detail acuity for a zoom; and a Canon-mount copy that I shot with an MC-11 on Sony, which didn't render with as much detail.  Stabilization could be counted on for one or maybe two stops at most.  Some users also complained that there was no option for a tripod mount.

It handled great, though, with a notch in the hood offering a grip of sorts for fast zooming just by sliding in and out, and a conveniently-situated zoom lock switch.

My hope would be for Panasonic to hurry up and come with something to compete, although the graphic on their roadmap looks more like a 70-300mm.

• Like 2

vor 8 Stunden schrieb bags27:

Without IBIS, we have to be realistic about handheld shots with reasonable ISO...

I think IBIS it not the problem, as you can use a monopod.
For me the main question is the the quality/performance of the AF (AF-S, AF-C)

After carrying around a 400 Telyt this summer, would like either a 100-400, or 150-600 with internal shake reduction, doesn't have to be IBIS as long as the lens is equiped. With the Telyt 1/500 was the slowest I gotten a decent picture. The other problem with the Telyt was the closest focus I could get was 40 ft without an extention tube and 25ft with, using a Visoflex head as the extension tube. Was not sure about other options in the M mount world. I have used the 400 with a Gitzo monopod but it wasn't that much better than the shoulder brace I generally use maybe 2 stops. The 400 is also too heavy for my ManFroto Be Free tripod, so I have to have my larger tripod that I use with my 4x5, it is portable but big, not a studio unit.

I still think 400gm is too much for a 16mm CL lens, would have liked to have seen an f2.8, in a lighter weight. I do use some big lenses but for 24mm on full frame I liked the 25 Nikkor and Canon the best, tiny lenses that I don't think you could reach in current lens design.

14 hours ago, AdHox said:

The three f/1.4 primes are well regarded and, as they are designed for APS-C, reasonably sized for a CL or TL2 body. I’m happy with the balance of the 56/1.4 on my A6600. That doesn’t mean I’ll feel a need to buy the same lens in a second mount ...

I might need to look at the 30/1.4. I’ve been looking for a 28mm for the CL, but if the 30mm is okay that might be close enough to my preferred focal length. 🤔

🤷‍♂️