A little Fogg History . And the new Satchmo

jonoslack

Advertisement (gone after registration)

3 hours ago, Ernest said:

Several years ago, I purchased a Last Waltz, which bee and Nigel kindly autographed for me. It’s a work of art forever Leica bag. Looking to add an additional bag, I was shocked and saddened to see on the Fogg website that bee had passed away. My Last Waltz will still continue dancing. Thank you so much, Jono, for your bee and Nigel Fogg file.

Thank you for passing this on - that is very sad. I had quite a few email exchanges with bee over the years - she took the trouble to comment on my website while we were discussing bags. I shall continue to value the three bags I own and use most of the time: Soprano, b-minor and b-major.

The end of an era, although it looks as though Nigel will continue to make the bags.

Edited by LocalHero1953
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, LocalHero1953 said:

Thank you for passing this on - that is very sad. I had quite a few email exchanges with bee over the years - she took the trouble to comment on my website while we were discussing bags. I shall continue to value the three bags I own and use most of the time: Soprano, b-minor and b-major.

The end of an era, although it looks as though Nigel will continue to make the bags.

Yes, Paul, it's reassuring that Nigel will carry on with the tradition of Fogg bags. So meaningful that you had personal contact with bee in the past. You certainly have an enviable trio. Wear them in good spirit. My Last Waltz keeps nudging me for a Lyre or Soprano. 

Edited by Ernest
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Ernest said:

Yes, Paul, it's reassuring that Nigel will carry on with the tradition of Fogg bags. So meaningful that you had personal contact with bee in the past. You certainly have an enviable trio. Wear them in good spirit. My Last Waltz keeps nudging me for a Lyre or Soprano. 

I had a Lyre as well which I used for my CL; when I replaced the CL with a Q2 I found it too small, and replaced it with the Soprano. I had bought the Lyre from a retailer, and so it didn't have my autograph by bee berman, unlike all three that I have now. The Soprano is for the Q2 or a M film camera; the b-minor is for a Q2 + snack, or M + lenses; the b-major is for SL + lenses (or Q2 + water bottle, guide book etc).

Yes, you need a small Fogg bag!

That is extremely sad news about bee. She was wonderful and also went out of her way to seek out my photos and share kind words about them. It was clear that "business" was hardly a consideration, rather a desire to live in beauty and create beautiful functional objects built to last. They seem to have done life right. My heart goes out to Nigel and all bee's friends and family.

Edited by Stuart Richardson
  • Like 4

19 hours ago, LocalHero1953 said:

I had a Lyre as well which I used for my CL; when I replaced the CL with a Q2 I found it too small, and replaced it with the Soprano. I had bought the Lyre from a retailer, and so it didn't have my autograph by bee berman, unlike all three that I have now. The Soprano is for the Q2 or a M film camera; the b-minor is for a Q2 + snack, or M + lenses; the b-major is for SL + lenses (or Q2 + water bottle, guide book etc).

Yes, you need a small Fogg bag!

Thanks so much for the heads up on Lyre and Soprano based on your experience. You have certainly thought out through experience with Fogg furniture what works best. My Last Waltz accommodates two M cameras with lenses (MP and M-A or M3), plus an extra lens. Sometimes my M246 accompanies the MP. The Soprano, like you point out, looks like just the ticket for one M + lens, although maybe I could shoehorn in my MDa w/28 Summaron-M. Thanks, again.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I have had a thoughtful message back from Nigel about bee. She had clearly made herself a valued member of the community in France where she lived, as well as those of us in the wider photographic community who appreciated not just the Fogg bags, but the relationship their owners had with the makers.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2