A little Fogg History . And the new Satchmo

jonoslack

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi There

I thought this might be of interest:bee berman and Nigel Fogg have been making lovely camera bags for Leica M cameras since 1986, and they are still doing it. This article has a little history, and a short piece about their first all leather bag.

https://www.slack.co.uk/fogg-and-the-new-satchmo.html

• Like 9
  • Thanks 3

Nice piece, Jono.

I can confirm their repair foc ethos. When I fell on my b-sharp and broke the wooden stiffener under the handle they were only to happy to replace. I infact sent them a sail batton to use as it seemed to me to have more flex strength than the wooden one.There was no sign of the repair - and they treated all the leather!

Edited by pedaes
  • Like 1

I couldn't agree more about Fogg bags. I have a flute for the bike ride with the CL, a b minor for the CL + oddments, and the b major the for the SL + 2 big zooms (just).

Edit. The only annoying thing is thinking how much money I could have saved - if I had not bought all those other bags before finding Fogg.

Edited by LocalHero1953
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Thank you for sharing Jono. I am also a fan of the Fogg!  I have a B-Laika that is fairly early (looks a lot like yours but less worn-my bad....too many bags). It was designed so the strap runs under the bag for nice support. I also have a B-Major (see below), and that is my "car" bag, but when I take it out over the shoulder it carries well. David

http://

Fogg B Major by BlackLeaf Photo, on Flickr

• Thanks 1

Nice review, Jono.  You have my defenses against buying a Fogg on their last legs!  Maybe after I get my M10 Monochrom...

The Satchmo is a very nice bag, but the Last Waltz has stolen my heart.  That will be my choice. 

Edited by Herr Barnack
  • Like 3

My 20+ year old all-black b Laika and 10+ year old Lyre are well used, but still going strong.  The b Laika is a bit smaller than the current version, which has been expanded a bit to accommodate the larger digital M models; I prefer my more compact model.  Both bags have served me very well over the years. And communications with bee have always been a treat. 

Unfortunately, US prices for Fogg have skyrocketed in the interim, and US Fogg dealers have largely disappeared.  I really like to handle a bag, with my gear, before committing, and that’s become increasingly more difficult here with limited dealer options. So some of my more recent bags, to accommodate  larger systems like the SL2, come from Billingham, another long term, quality brand, and a heavily discounted Oberwerth to fit the SL 90-280, standing up, with another SL zoom and prime with body.  

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S
  • Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 6/12/2020 at 8:51 PM, LocalHero1953 said:

I couldn't agree more about Fogg bags. I have a flute for the bike ride with the CL, a b minor for the CL + oddments, and the b major the for the SL + 2 big zooms (just).

Edit. The only annoying thing is thinking how much money I could have saved - if I had not bought all those other bags before finding Fogg.

Your post, Jono, and another bike ride with the flute, has prompted the purchase of a new bag - the soprano. The flute was ideal for the M and many of the smaller M lenses, but my M went after I got the CL. The CL is smaller in the body, but most of the lenses are larger, and it is too much of a stretch to fit the CL plus, say, the 11-23TL zoom, or the Summilux 35TL (or even the Summilux-M 35 FLE with adapter). So the stone canvas and Havana leather flute will be sold (it's the only one of my bags that is not customised in some way, or personalised with my name inside), and I look forward to an all black soprano.

• Like 1

A nice piece of background history on Fogg. Thank you. 

I too have their B-Laika and Flute -both of which I take on holidays, the Flute packed inside my cabin luggage and the B-Laika carrying all my gear. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I've just received my new Soprano (sopranos I have known.....as an ardent bass.........ah me!). A perfect single camera bag for the CL. As noted above, the TL lenses demand a bigger bag than an M and its native lenses. This is a perfect fit for the CL inserted sideways plus any of my TL lenses, the longest of which is the 60TL. It would actually take a Summicron-SL if inserted base down, lens up.

That black canvas is going to show the marks, though!

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Jono,

Thank you very much for your user report. 
I have been using the Fogg bags for several years. I guess I have four Fogg photo bags and one canvas briefcase, and my daughter owns one of the latest Fogg bags  One B-Laika , with the Moscow tag inside, was stolen with my XPan in France. 

I am not sure that I can stop myself from buying Fogg bags...addicted. 

• Like 1

Guest BlackBarn

I may be doing this the wrong way around. I’ve been buying Fogg bags and then choosing any Leica camera and lenses which happen to fit. 

I have a Flute for the M10 with 50 or 28 attached and recently bought a Soprano for the M10 with the Telyt 135 attached. On trips I bring the Soprano as it holds the M10 with the 50 and at the bottom there is room for the 28 Summicron or visa versa. In addition the compartment with the the zipper is handy for a passport and credit cards. My favourite bags for Leica.

But if it gets stolen, you lose quite a bit.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

The other day I received my own Satchmo, and I couldn't be more pleased - here are some snaps:

• Like 5

• 1 month later...
On 12/19/2020 at 8:37 PM, jonoslack said:

The other day I received my own Satchmo, and I couldn't be more pleased - here are some snaps:

Thank you, Jono.  May I ask, is the little velcro strip on the front pocket a custom addition?

• 7 months later...
On 1/22/2021 at 2:51 PM, M9reno said:

Thank you, Jono.  May I ask, is the little velcro strip on the front pocket a custom addition?

Hi There - sorry for the delay 😂

It is indeed - as standard it has magnets, more elegant, but I have some watches which don't like magnetism!

all the best

Jono

• Thanks 1

• 3 months later...

Got my Satchmo for Christmas, Havana brown. Well conceived, beautiful and unexpectedly light for a leather bag. 

It was a pleasure to deal with bee and Nigel, as always !

• Like 3

I'm not sure how these bags work? Is there space on the average bistro table to fit   a camera bag a camera and a cappuccino onto it, given this is will be the main photo opportunity afforded by such bags? But I'd like to see how they work alongside a taco or a burger, does the subject clash or should I just use a plastic carrier bag for my camera?

• Haha 2

• 9 months later...

Several years ago, I purchased a Last Waltz, which bee and Nigel kindly autographed for me. It’s a work of art forever Leica bag. Looking to add an additional bag, I was shocked and saddened to see on the Fogg website that bee had passed away. My Last Waltz will still continue dancing. Thank you so much, Jono, for your bee and Nigel Fogg file.

• Like 5