Macro Lamp for Apo Macro Elmarit 100

mmx_2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi!

I had some parts left over from a few other projects, so I decided to build a "ring lamp" for my Elmarit 100 lens. The lamp slides on to the hood and is then secured by a screw on the side. The lamp is powered by USB and as power source I use a powerbank for phones. The light source is made up of 10 1W power LEDs with narrow beam and focusing lenses. The whole thing is 3D printed, even the set screw and threads. To get the correct voltage for the LEDs, 3.3V, I have hidden a DC-DC converter inside the lamp that converts 5V (USB standard) to stabilized 3.3V.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

And yes, it does work :).

Leica M10, Apo-Macro Elmarit 100, f8 1/250s

Edited by mmx_2
  • Like 5

I have bought the ring flash below via Fleabay for macro with R lenses and the 16880 bellows. When it arrives from China I will post some trial shots. It cost all of £25 P&P included. 

Sadly it looks for sure as if my 100mm APO Macro-Elmarit-R and ELPRO has got lost or been stolen en route from New Zealand and to make matters worse, having consistently lied about the location of the lens for the last 2½ months, New Zealand post office is being difficult about paying out the insurance. 

Wilson

I'm really sorry for your loss :(, it's a fantastic lens and really sad if it got stolen :(:(:(

The ring flash looks really interesting! Will be very interesting to hear your results. The lamp was just a "fun project" since I already had all the parts. The diodes and voltage regulator was bought for my "telephone lamp", that I made for my daughter:

• Like 6

The dealer I bought the lens from is obviously feeling a bit responsible for the mess of the missing 100 APO Macro-Elmarit-R. I asked him to check if he could declare the lens at a relatively modest value, as long as it did not affect the insurance. He didn't check with the New Zealand post office and whereas they will happily accept the premium for the full value, they will pay out no more than the customs declared value. The dealer has another 100 APO Macro albeit not quite as nice a one and without the ELPRO close up attachment. He going to send me the second 100 Macro. in the vanishingly unlikely event of the original lens ever turning up, I have agreed I will return the second lens to him at my cost. 

The ring flash may also work on the Rolleiflex 3003 35mm System camera, I have recently acquired, which has its accessory shoe on the side, as it has a waist level finder on the top surface, as well as a traditional eye level finder. I will let you know how I get on with it. 

Wilson

• Like 1

The LED ring flash arrived this morning. It is a piece of cheap and nasty c**p. The instructions are in Chi-English and are gobbledegook. Example:

"Note: Skaking flash ligth after finish installation, prevent not lock completely and broken"

That is exactly as printed on the manual complete with spelling errors. I have no idea what that means. Much of the rest of the manual is similarly incomprehensible. There is no form of exposure control or thyristor. In effect it is a cheap and feeble LED light, with a switch triggered by the camera hot shoe. The step up rings are made of soft moulded plastic with badly cut threads, where it is essential to put some silicone grease on the threads or they will bind solid into the front of a lens. They must be exceeding easy to cross thread, so you have to work them very gently into the front ring of the lens, working them backwards and forwards, a bit like cutting a thread with a die. The whole thing is a complete waste of money.

Wilson

5 hours ago, GregNski said:

Well, clearly you didn't skake the flash ligth properly. Whose fault is that?

I seem to have lost my left handed reverse-skaking wrench, so no chance of getting the flash to work properly.