Is R10 or a brand new Digital-R coming ?

MP3

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Any idea on R10, on drawing board or in prototype?

Even more interested is, will it have autofocus feature?

Read that Leica is planning to launch it in Photokina '08, but just haven't get any further news.

Seems to have some relevant threads in German forum, a pity that I cannot read.

Anybody shed some light on the topic?

• Replies 463
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well, there was an article about the woman who is designing it at some point, IIRC. Of course, designing and building are two different things, but keep in mind that Steven K. Lee is a big R fan. There have been many rumours, but a few things remain likely:

- resolution greater than 10MP

- body size similar to R7 or R8/9

- will be able to use all or nearly all R lenses

- may add some kind of autofocus or focus assist, but may continue to be aimed at the manual focus crowd.

- will have a red dot somewhere :)

Thanks for all your great updates.

So it seems I'll need a dslr from some other brand if

I'm aiming for fast AF model for my fast moving kid.

Having 'spoiled' by M-lenses image quality,

it will be real tough to settle on a fast AF dslr system with

comparable image quality. Any suggestion?

Having 'spoiled' by M-lenses image quality,

it will be real tough to settle on a fast AF dslr system with

comparable image quality. Any suggestion?

You've got two options basically.

1. Canon DSLR with modified Contax N mount lenses ... you'll get AE/AF all the time.

2. Canon DSLR with Leica R lenses adapted ... you have to live with stop down metering and manual focus.

The R lenses are equally good as the M lenses "if" not better.

I hope (and believe) the R10 will be an AF camera.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

You've got two options basically.

1. Canon DSLR with modified Contax N mount lenses ... you'll get AE/AF all the time.

2. Canon DSLR with Leica R lenses adapted ... you have to live with stop down metering and manual focus.

The R lenses are equally good as the M lenses "if" not better.

I hope (and believe) the R10 will be an AF camera.

The current lineup of R lenses has some really great lenses, and some not so great ones, but the M line really only has winners. I don't know why you think that R lenses are potentially better.

I don't know why you think that R lenses are potentially better.

Of course you should compare the best of R to the best of M ... those frequently bad mouthed Rs aren't really bad frankly speaking, they just "seem to be" bad when compared to their good looking siblings. :)

Well, there are lots of great R lenses, but a few which really need to be updated like their M cousins have been. The best example is the 35 Cron. The 24 is completely missing by now. I was just curious why you were implying that the R lenses were at least as good. The best R lenses simply don't exist in the M range (100 Macro, 280/4, ...), but the ones which do are often no better than, and sometimes not as good as the M lenses. The shorter film-to-flange distance of the M is a real advantage for normal and wide lens design.

The only lens I am not sure about is the M 21 vs. the R 19. As for the rest, the M version is at least equal, often better, if it exists.

My guess is that Leica is abandoning the manual focus R series that's why you don't see any update to the current range and they're dumping the 180 Summicron as an accessory to the Digilux 3.

When you compare the R to the M introduced at the same period then you should see they're at least on par in terms of quality ... the last generation 50/1.4 ROM is widely considered superior to the pre-ASPH 50/1.4 M for example, the 28/2.8 R is also considered superior to the pre ASPH 28/2.8.

My guess is that Leica is abandoning the manual focus R series ...

Maybe, but I can't see it myself. The R has never been a big seller and I don't think they can afford to alienate the remaining R users by rendering all their expensive glass obsolete with a new model.

I don't think they can afford to alienate the remaining R users by rendering all their expensive glass obsolete with a new model.

Quite simple, Steve. They'll do what Nikon has done and it's proven as a popular solution. :)

My guess is that Leica is abandoning the manual focus R series that's why you don't see any update to the current range and they're dumping the 180 Summicron as an accessory to the Digilux 3.

When you compare the R to the M introduced at the same period then you should see they're at least on par in terms of quality ... the last generation 50/1.4 ROM is widely considered superior to the pre-ASPH 50/1.4 M for example, the 28/2.8 R is also considered superior to the pre ASPH 28/2.8.

The R50/1.4 ROM is from 1998. The M50/1.4 is from 1962. The R28/2.8 is from 1994 and the M28/2.8 is from 1992. However, they are almost identical in performance, unsurprisingly.

I find it surprising and amusing how often your opinion is uncontaminated by fact. Do you ever look anything up, or do you just make everything up as you go along?

You obviously never cared about different opinions, I invite you to add me into your ignore list, how difficult is that? :)

You've been there for a while; I just check once in a while if you have started adding facts to your opionions :)

The difference in age between a '62 50 Lux M and a '98 50 Lux R is not one of opinion. You claimed they were released close together. Why do you say such things without checking, if you don't really know?

You've been there for a while; I just check once in a while if you have started adding facts to your opionions :)

The R50/1.4 ROM is from 1998. The M50/1.4 is from 1962.

So you're asking for facts, Carsten ... I've done some homework on your behalf. :)

The last M version of 50/1.4 (E46) was introduced in 1995, not the one E43 you said was from 1962 ... which isn't correct actually, the last E43 was introduced in 1966.

You've probably search inside Erwin Puts' pdf file, which wasn't up to date ... there he only mentioned 1.4/50 Summilux (I) - from 1959-1965 and the 1.4/50 Summilux (II) - from 1966-1995. :)

I've wasted a lot of my spare time on many of these Japanese, Chinese rumor sites, Guy ... so far, FF, auto focus, 16MP have been mentioned about the R10. There're also talks that the senior management of Panasonic is very disappointed at the poor market performance of their 4/3 offerings and the intention to retract from this particular segment after all.

What does the juvenile sparring between sdai and Carsten add to this valuable source of information? Both individuals clearly have lots of knowledge, and I am pretty sure we would learn a lot from them both. So 'ladies' do try to show the gravitas you both have below the boring sparring. If I was the moderator, you would both get a 'yellow card'!

Laurence