RF’sDelight

Summicron 28mm Edition "Safari" – real life pictures?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi, does somebody own a Leica Summicron-M 1:2/28 Edition "Safari" or has seen real life pictures? I’d love to see additional pictures of the lens except the one official photography that’s spread all over the web. 

Of course!

I'v heard of someone, who's sister have a colleague, which grandma has a dog which's playpartner's owner has a wife which saw on a weekend trip to a well known lake in Scotland, someone, who she doesn't know, using it taking a photo of an ancient also well known monster .... or so I have heard ...

Otherwise, I can neither confirm or deny that statement 😎

Posted (edited)

I'm not sure what OP is asking for here.  

Perhaps checkout the Lenny KRAVITZ DESIGN "Drifter" set which includes a physically very similar to the Safari version 28mm lens.  Is it possible that the  C-19 Virus is limiting Leica's production of all products which may be giving the impression that the Safari 28mm f2 Summicron isn't real and may not exist?

Aren't the only differences of the Safari 28mm f2 Summicron compared to the standard version be the barrel color and lens hood design?  I believe optically they are identical, which means the imaging should be identical. 

I don't own a 28mm f2 Summicron (either version) but I have the impression from those who do, that it is one of the best Leica moderate wide-angle lenses available.  Opinion: seems that the round Safari lens hood would be less effective than the standard rectilinear version.

Edited by m410
yes

Posted (edited)

Thank you all for stopping by, @Daniel C.1975 @m410 @a5m!

I simply like the the barrel design with built-in lens hood, knowing that only the Drifter Summicron 28 and the Safari Summicron 28 have it. And I’m thinking about swapping my Summilux 28 for the Safari Summicron. And to dispel last doubts I just wanted to see different pictures of the lens. So, where could be a good place to ask for these pictures… mmh?

Edited by jaapv

Advertisement (gone after registration)

8 hours ago, RF’sDelight said:

Thank you all for stopping by, @Daniel C.1975 @m410 @a5m!

I simply like the the barrel design with built-in lens hood, knowing that only the Drifter Summicron 28 and the Safari Summicron 28 have it. And I’m thinking about swapping my Summilux 28 for the Safari Summicron. And to dispel last doubts I just wanted to see different pictures of the lens. So, where could be a good place to ask for these pictures… mmh?

Could send prominent Leica stores an email, e.g. Leica Shop Vienna, Meister camera etc to ask for pics. They might even be able to give you an idea of stock and availability if they don't have a copy in store.

Or you could try imagining the drifter 28cron (via youtube unboxings and other related videos) with the finish if the 50cron safari, though this isn't the same thing. Moot if there's no stock for the forseeable future though.

Not exactly what you asked for but close.  How about the "Drifter" 28mm Summicron version to get an idea?

Posted (edited)

The Leica Store Amsterdam told me that because of the close down of the Leica Factory due to C-19, the production is behind schedule. But recently they started up again. There is no date given when to expect the “safari” edition lenses. They have several lenses in back-order for their clients. When they arrive, i will let you know and send you some pictures, for i am one of them😉

Edited by Erikvw

I'd echo the previous post and state that Leica Miami told me basically the same thing. They also said that the felt they already had more pre-orders than the initial shipment was likely to cover. They were also clear that Leica doesn't even let shops know when the products will be released until they ship. 

Yesterday, i got  my M-safari lens 90mm apo delivered. Production date was 30-06-2020. On the website of a German Leica store company i red that the 28mm safari will be expected in july 2020. Made in to batches of 250 pieces. Maybe they can be right, bases on my recent experience they probably started the production of Safari lenses again.

I got mine today. As I had hoped for, it is much darker than the pics. Also, there is no engraving on the lens face. (Sorry, this may not be correct terminology). All details usually on face are on lens hood or barrel. Lens hood twists and slides out like on the 75mm f2 apo, which again, has no details on the face. 
if you are after one, Leica Mayfair got them in on Monday, but I was on waitlist, so they called. Lens manufactured 22Jul. 

On 9/2/2020 at 4:59 AM, james.liam said:

Where did you find a Safari grip?

I bought the black grip and then the Leica store Amsterdam made it for me, but they recently told me that the green Leather  was not available anymore.

3 hours ago, Erikvw said:

I bought the black grip and then the Leica store Amsterdam made it for me, but they recently told me that the green Leather  was not available anymore.

Timing in life is everything.

On 8/30/2020 at 3:28 AM, Erikvw said:

The 28mm Safari Edition on my M10-pSafari.

Are the Safari lenses all a shade darker than the paint used on the M10P Safari camera body? thanks

12 hours ago, lawman said:

Are the Safari lenses all a shade darker than the paint used on the M10P Safari camera body? thanks

No, i don't think so. Pretty similar.

16 hours ago, Erikvw said:

No, i don't think so. Pretty similar.

Your photo with the 28mm lens looks darker than the camera - my 50mm lens is definitely darker than my M10P camera