Summicron 28mm Edition "Safari" – real life pictures?

RF’sDelight

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Thanks 2

• Thanks 3

• Thanks 2

Hello, does anyone know if the green paint is applied to brass as opposed to aluminium as in the standard version, similar to the older black paint lenses. The weights of the two different lens are listed differently on the UK Leica store website: 490g for the safari and 257g for the standard production model, Many thanks, Tom.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Thank you all for posting your pictures. I got mine yesterday. 

• Like 7

On 9/15/2020 at 2:31 AM, james.liam said:

Is it really 490g? That's 50g heavier than the 28 Summilux.

285 gr, as you can see.

• Thanks 5

On 9/9/2020 at 11:28 AM, Stephencdean said:

I agree with lawman, the lens I have is (thankfully) darker than the those of Erikvw official pics. Suspect it is processing preferences. I see darker colour green with my eyes as well though!

I think it depends in which light you see the lens. In daylight they look brighter then with artificial indoor light.

Great, thanks Erikvw. Must be an error in Leica UK’s info. I did receive an answer from them. They we not sure why there was a weight difference between the two models so they will ask Leica Germany and get back to me. I think you’ve answered the question!

https://store.leica-camera.com/uk/en/summicron-m-28mm-f/2-asph.-edition-safari

Since I’m not interested to buy a M10 Safari or M-P Safari here is my the black body green lens combo.
PS: Admittedly a M8.2 Safari with a reasonable price tag would be very tempting to me—especially combined with this lens.

• Like 8

For the full color range: M10 silver chrome + Summicron-M 1:2/28 Asph. Safari

• Like 8

On 9/18/2020 at 9:25 AM, RF’sDelight said:

Since I’m not interested to buy a M10 Safari or M-P Safari here is my the black body green lens combo.
PS: Admittedly a M8.2 Safari with a reasonable price tag would be very tempting to me—especially combined with this lens.

Thank you for posting a photo.  I was wondering how and if you received (purchased) the 28mm Safari Summicron you were looking for.  I enjoy the different camera/lens color combinations as opposed to just the prescribed chrome-chrome or black-black.  Wondering #2: How is the round-telescoping lenshade to use?  Prefer it versus the screw-in rectangular style?

vor 20 Stunden schrieb m410:

Thank you for posting a photo.  I was wondering how and if you received (purchased) the 28mm Safari Summicron you were looking for.  I enjoy the different camera/lens color combinations as opposed to just the prescribed chrome-chrome or black-black.  Wondering #2: How is the round-telescoping lenshade to use?  Prefer it versus the screw-in rectangular style?

Hi! You’re welcome! In this case I simply placed a non-binding order at my preferred Leica Store. I wanted to see the lens in the flesh before finally buying it. It was the first of 2–3 lenses they expected to receive, they said. But at the moment it's also available in the German Leica Online Store. The lens shade was even more a trigger to me than the Safari paint. It works almost like the lens hood on the 50mm Apo-Summicron and exactly like the hood on the 35mm Summilux Zagato Edition (see this Leica video at 1:45).

• Like 1

11 hours ago, RF’sDelight said:

Hi! You’re welcome! In this case I simply placed a non-binding order at my preferred Leica Store. I wanted to see the lens in the flesh before finally buying it. It was the first of 2–3 lenses they expected to receive, they said. But at the moment it's also available in the German Leica Online Store. The lens shade was even more a trigger to me than the Safari paint. It Tworks almost like the lens hood on the 50mm Apo-Summicron and exactly like the hood on the 35mm Summilux Zagato Edition (see this Leica video at 1:45).

Thanks for the info.  Enjoy your new lens.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Damn I love the lens hood design and how compact it looks when the hood is not pulled out...

Does anyone have a regular Summicron 28mm ASPH (Screw in metal hood) and can put them side by side?

I’m saving for a 28 and am really interested in the Safari design but not a fan of the green... super curious how they compare design wise, with and without hoods...

vor 17 Stunden schrieb Marckyokay:

Does anyone have a regular Summicron 28mm ASPH (Screw in metal hood) and can put them side by side?

The closest comparison possible – with web pictures. 😁

• Like 2

Oh thanks!

I didn't know of this web picture, only knew the one on the Leica Shop Website, and to be honest that one looks a bit weird, more stubby and squished than the real life pictures I've seen here. 

This comparison makes more sense... After seeing this I wish even more they would finally bring this Cron in regular black... So wonderfully compact it beats my old Elmarit with hood. 

On 12/11/2020 at 8:00 PM, RF’sDelight said:

The closest comparison possible – with web pictures. 😁

• 7 months later...