Ebay works for me...

marknorton

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've bought/sold lots of stuff via e bay, only ever had a couple of problems. My biggest problem was actually with the post office who lost a package and the hassle I had getting them to pay me compensation (it was insured). In the end I wrote a personal letter to the CEO, to his home address. I had a cheque within a week.

You just need to use good old fashioned common sense. If it sounds too good to be true it certainly is. Ask questions about the item to clarify condition or whether there are any faults, don't buy from someone 'selling for a friend so I can't answer any questions about it' and read the feedback! Any whiff of something not being right and just move on - another item will appear within a few days anyway. The banjo story is a case in point!

However, I'm sure that the fees are creeping up, add paypal fees as well and its actually becoming quite expensive to sell via e bay, but that said you almost always get a buyer which isn't the case with classified ads.

One rule of thumb playing on eBay is to avoid transaction outside US/Canada and Japan but that's not to say there aren't some wackos in the States ... in fact the only issue I've ever had was dealing with a guy from NJ who bought my 400/2.8L Mark 2.

I don't understand how you come up with such a rule. Every country in the EU has stronger consumer protection laws than the States do. If you try to cheat someone on eBay in Germany, you'd better watch your back, because they are coming after you. That doesn't mean that no one does it, but it is a lot harder. The fraud troubles in this thread have been in the U.S., including your own, except one in Eastern Europe: Hungary.

I've had two very bad experiences with ebay recently.

I won an auction for a used Vivitar 283 flash from the US. The flash didn't arrive, but after seven weeks it finally did arrive and was totally dead. Seller offered me a refund if I sent it back, but shipping it back to him would cost as much as the flash + shipping to me so it wasn't really an option. I gave this guy a neutral feedback because he answered my questions and seemed honest, but waiting seven weeks for a flash that doesn't work on arrival I felt I couldn't give positive feedback There's just got to be a limit. He answered with giving ME a negative feedback. I'm still pissed about that.

I also won a Wein safe sync auction, but it hasn't arrived after two months and the seller doesn't answer my e-mail's. He'll probably get a negative very soon. Sad thing is that, this idiot will probably answer with giving me a negative as well.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

:confused: That's pretty much the rest of the world written off then - bit insular aren't we?

It's nothing political nor personal ... it's just the different banking and credit systems that I'm not comfortable with. The delivery systems are different as well ... while FedEx, UPS and USPS are dominant in North America, the rest of the world seem to be fond of DHL, TNT and their government run postal services. Japan is considered as one of my home countries so I'm feeling comfortable with as well.

Customs is a BIG issue too ...

He'll probably get a negative very soon. Sad thing is that, this idiot will probably answer with giving me a negative as well.

That's exactly what happened to me when the guy from the States refused to pay for the M2 he'd won. I left negative feedback and he retaliated by leaving some against me.

I have met some nice folks from my ebay dealings as well.

Exactly ... there're some really decent folks on eBay based on my own experience as well. I've sold 4 different copies of EF 85/1.2L on eBay and two of the buyers have become pen pals of mine, I've sold two copies of 4th gen 35 crons and one buyer sent me a note asking why I only rated it as Ex+ because it looks absolutely like new in his eyes - well, what would you expect I replied ... you certainly can't rate a 1983 lens as "like new". :D

I don't understand how you come up with such a rule. Every country in the EU has stronger consumer protection laws than the States do. If you try to cheat someone on eBay in Germany, you'd better watch your back, because they are coming after you. That doesn't mean that no one does it, but it is a lot harder. The fraud troubles in this thread have been in the U.S., including your own, except one in Eastern Europe: Hungary.

Carsten, please see my reply to James ... I've also lived/worked in Germany and there're many great things to talk about your country. :)

Guest tummydoc
Yup, Leica has taken the camera back for several things already, and also some older lenses I have bought, no questions asked. I bought a '90 M6 and sent it to them for CLA, and in the end they did a full factory spec once-over and didn't charge me for it. I can't guarantee that they will always be like this, but Leica is not like Canon, that is for sure!

Yes, accidental damage is covered in the passport warrenty. Gives you 12 months to spot it <grin>

Passport is not offered in the USA on the M8. I also recall reading on this very forum of one person whose M8 shutter jammed/bent/blade broke and Leica said it was his fault and wanted to charge him 700 Euros (or UK pounds??). I don't remember who it was or how it was resolved.

With all due respect Carsten, no one has presented Leica with a scratched M8 sensor out of warranty and after a couple of years' use and had them graciously tear the M8 completely apart and put in a new sensor at their expense. I wager that if that were to become their policy, the price of an M8 would rise another 50% (past the 25% it will have risen by October :mad: ).

Of course, restricting your auctions to only certain parts of the world can mean you end up with a lower auction price. I'm happy to sell/ship anywhere in the world, and so is my PA who does all the work. LOL.

Before Paypal appeared, I used to pay for items bought in the US by sending wads of dollar bills double wrapped in an envelope, mainly because ebayers in the US could not cope with International Money Orders even when denominated in USD. Surprisingly no money ever went astray...

Vinay, the '90 M6 that I got checked over and brought to new factory spec for free: that was this year. I didn't have the 5D for a couple of years, it was less than one year. In Europe, the first 6 months when something goes wrong, the manufacturer has to prove that you did it. After that, the next 18 months I have to prove that Canon did it. The thing is that I had pretty good proof, but Canon just said no, and my only recourse would have been to go to court. I had sold it to a friend, so I didn't want to put him through that. I was thinking about it though.

International money arders are very expensive to cash - at least here in the UK. I had a guy in Russia buy a Billingham Alice bag and the cost of banking the money order was about 30% of its value if I remember corectly. Cash, Paypal or cheque drawn against a UK bank is all I'll take now <grin>

Guest Motivfindender
Never had a problem. If a seller doesn't look quite right, I email to ask if I can pick up the goods in person (whether I could or would or not). Silence results in no bids.

I do this also, if posssible. And in fact, I prefer to get them personal if the auction price is that high as Leica gear or other good stuff.

I met really nice persons, got often lots of interesting informations about this and that.

I buyed a lot of leica Glasses in the past 9 months ( I am happy I did not before, because now it' s "nearly for free" ) , was always happy about the prices and hab just one single problem with a 21-35 which perhaps was not known by the seller (but he has not reponded, maybe he did) Anyway, the fabulous CS at Solms will fix it within some minutes and shurly for zero Euro, a good moment to take a cup of their coffee there and to have a look at the factory.

Dirk

Guest guy_mancuso

After many years and e-bay, I pretty much have given up . I have sold well and bought well but i have also been beat too with regards to condition of things and such . So I pretty much have given into stores or buy and sell sites like my own or here also. Much rather deal with folks i know anymore even if it means more money. I am just not into guessing anymore plus if it helps someone I know than that is the gravy part of it.

Guest tummydoc
Vinay, the '90 M6 that I got checked over and brought to new factory spec for free: that was this year.

Well Carsten, all I can say is, I have about 16 Leica M bodies that could stand a CLA so when I send them in,since it will be free of charge, I'm sure you won't mind if I tell Leica to send you the bill :D

In Europe, the first 6 months when something goes wrong, the manufacturer has to prove that you did it. After that, the next 18 months I have to prove that Canon did it.

Interesting. I honestly regret that I do not know what the law dictates in the US or Canada, other than all warranties I've read have some disclaimer against damage caused by the owner, and have never seen a time-limit imposed thereupon.

I am sorry but I have to get on my soap box. I have had good experiences with ebay but only because I so aggressively protect myself. I think ebay does next to nothing to protect buyers and does everything to convince buyers they are much safer than they are.

First, EVERY time I have placed a bid on an expensive camera I received literally dozens of fraudulent "second chance offer" emails and "I noticed you bid on a so-and-so. I have one for less" emails for weeks thereafter.

Second, feedback is a joke. Sellers do not give feedback when you pay. They wait for you to give feedback and threatten bad feedback to anyone who complains about late shipping, bad product or the like. Feedback is ebays "game of chicken" and is not reliable.

Third, ebay encourages the use of paypal and paypal checking by promising the transaction is "protected" if you pay with the paypal credit card. In fact, the protection is not close to complete.