Optima darkroom Print Processor

Aryel

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello,

Just wondering if anyone is using this:

https://www.optimadarkroom.com/

They are a big investment but look ideal. I am trying to set up a darkroom in a small room with no water and not a lot of space... It looks like it would make life much easier and allows for larger prints. I really like the idea of 12x16!

Any thoughts or advice?  

Thank you very much for your advice.

Aryel

On 6/7/2020 at 3:28 AM, Aryel said:

Hello,

Just wondering if anyone is using this:

https://www.optimadarkroom.com/

They are a big investment but look ideal. I am trying to set up a darkroom in a small room with no water and not a lot of space... It looks like it would make life much easier and allows for larger prints. I really like the idea of 12x16!

Any thoughts or advice?  

Thank you very much for your advice.

Aryel

This looks very similar to the Nova slot processor or the slot processor part of Jobo Duolab, both discontinued,  But this is modulized.

I have online ordered a 12x16 (or 16x20, don't remember). The plastic construction of Nova is very thin and fragile. Hope this one is better. The Jobo Duolab has a better construction, but its slot proccessor part only works for 8x10. (its drum processor can handle paper too, but not much larger) 

This picture looks like made of transparent acrylic. It is desirable for B&W print, not sure about color prints.

Personally I think it works well with B&W print. For color print, working in complete dark to locate the right (and narrow) slot opening is a bit challenging. I haven't seen its capacity spec yet, but I guess it will consume much more chemistry than the drum processor. The drum processor allows you to use the minimum or exact amount of chemical according to the paper size, but a slot processor needs a comfortable slot width for the paper to move freely, so the chemical is determined by the slot, not the paper.  If I remember it right, it is more than 2X of drum processor. 

If you want it only for B&W, you'll find it very convenient, (only if it is made of transparent material), especially in the size. Depends on the size of your darkroom, processing a B&W paper beyond some size is less desirable.  

The film processing attachment is a joke. Not practical for agitation. There is no add-on value. Jobo Duolab solved this problem by offering the drum processor to complement the slot processor. 

19 hours ago, Einst_Stein said:

This looks very similar to the Nova slot processor or the slot processor part of Jobo Duolab, both discontinued,  But this is modulized.

I have online ordered a 12x16 (or 16x20, don't remember). The plastic construction of Nova is very thin and fragile. Hope this one is better. The Jobo Duolab has a better construction, but its slot proccessor part only works for 8x10. (its drum processor can handle paper too, but not much larger) 

This picture looks like made of transparent acrylic. It is desirable for B&W print, not sure about color prints.

Personally I think it works well with B&W print. For color print, working in complete dark to locate the right (and narrow) slot opening is a bit challenging. I haven't seen its capacity spec yet, but I guess it will consume much more chemistry than the drum processor. The drum processor allows you to use the minimum or exact amount of chemical according to the paper size, but a slot processor needs a comfortable slot width for the paper to move freely, so the chemical is determined by the slot, not the paper.  If I remember it right, it is more than 2X of drum processor. 

If you want it only for B&W, you'll find it very convenient, (only if it is made of transparent material), especially in the size. Depends on the size of your darkroom, processing a B&W paper beyond some size is less desirable.  

The film processing attachment is a joke. Not practical for agitation. There is no add-on value. Jobo Duolab solved this problem by offering the drum processor to complement the slot processor. 

Thank you, I ordered an Optimax 12x16 last week. It looks very convenient for a small darkroom without water... I also wanted to support a company brining new darkroom product to the market. I will share some pictures once it arrives and the darkroom is ready! 

2 hours ago, Aryel said:

Thank you, I ordered an Optimax 12x16 last week. It looks very convenient for a small darkroom without water... I also wanted to support a company brining new darkroom product to the market. I will share some pictures once it arrives and the darkroom is ready! 

Even bring back the old stuff deserves supports. 

Strictly speaking on the darkroom efficiency, personally I think the drum processor is much more flexible and economical. 

• 1 month later...

Received the unit a couple of weeks ago. Did 3-4 sessions with it and really like it! More space to work, more water available (don't have running water so I fill 2 slots with water each time before starting).  It also smells less which is a big bonus for me cause ventilation is the current weak spot of my set up.

They are really responsive and spent a lot of time to explain all the features.

Very happy 😊

Aryel