Bitti

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I am having the same battery problems when using a Sigma 135/1.8 lens. Also hope for a update, I dont know if it s aproblem of lens or camera firmware,

The cool thing, on the other side, if the battery is full: SL2 can do 4k60 while Fuji100 does only 30 images/Sek.

Overall I find the SL2 to be a very fast and flexible system.

The S007 (and I assume Fuji medium format as well) images with S lens are more subtile IMO. But it is harder to nail focus with the S, due to large focus point area I sometimes have problems to focus on the eye when doing shallow DOF. With the Sl2 my 100% in focus rate is much higher. But most of my fav. images come from the S007. I dont knw why. One thing is the images are sharp but have this smooth sharpness rolloff.

I think for sutdio portrait I would prefer the S-System over the SL2. As a one camera does it all I would prefer the SL2.

Jim,

I am not trying to invalidate your experience, which is clearly unfortunate. Your lens should not squeak like that, and I hope that you either received a replacement or that it was repaired quickly at no cost to you. Regarding the battery issue, it is well-documented, and I agree that it is unacceptable and should be fixed asap. I still think it is a leap to take those two issues and completely write off the camera as being not fit for purpose. Leica is a small company, but they tend to take problems very seriously and sort them out as quickly as they can. That said, I think the SL2 still functions brilliantly for the vast majority of photographic tasks one might hope to use it for, professional or not. If purchased as a video only camera, then I would agree it is probably best to wait or consider other options. I would agree that as a video focused camera there are better options out there...like the S1 or S1H.

• 1 month later...

I'm late on this post but Jim's SL2 must be faulty. I just picked mine up and it only has a fraction of battery left as I haven't charged it in a week or so and it fired off in burst mode with the 90/2 attached just fine.

Regarding original post, I've tried a gfx50 several times and hated it each time. Nothing wrong with the file output a all, but the camera to me felt horrible and clunky to use. Give me a SL2 any day.

I've had good results from a Pentax 645z but the SL2 outdoes it detail wise as well (must be the pentax lenses) so it's going on ebay.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/10/2020 at 12:11 AM, LeicaR10 said:

Bitti,   I agree with LeicaS2's post #15 as I often print as large or have prints made larger for corporate clients.  The S007 and S3 files print beautifully when making very large photographs.  I tried the Fuji, Hasselblad and Leica SL systems for my work with corporate and private collectors.  The clients simply didn't like how those systems rendered and it wasn't a color management issue either.  The S lenses and sensors render in what I describe a cinematic and smoother way.  Other photographers find the aforementioned systems preferable.  It will get down to your costs, personal tastes and if your clients like what they see and buy your photographs.  I always tell my students, most cameras are not an investment and depreciate rapidly like most automobiles.  Hopefully, you will write down your equipment costs as business expense. Hope this helps.   r/ Mark

Hi Mark, thanks for you answer. Will you still buy an s007 in 2020? maybe is good to invest on the Leica lenses as they will always be fine tools. Even good used camera and lenses could be a good compromise in the meantime.  I shoot lifestyle  images of people, in cars and landscape.

I'm selling fine art prints in an online store. I tried Fuji and i felt it's digital vf is not so immediate for me. But the image size is great to have straight out of the camera. for both cameras the image quality seems amazing. 

The thing is also that with my budget 15/20 k i can only afford used camera end lenses on the Leica system and my mind it still telling me that leica tools are better even used, compared to fuji. What I'm not seeing in the picture?

best 

francesco

www.francescobittichesu.com

• 1 month later...

Hello All, this is my first post on the Forum, and I am eager to see and be seen. I've had an S007 for almost 5 years, an SL for 2 years, and a Q for 5 years. I'm looking at new cameras such as the S3, SL2, and maybe even a Sigma FP for making video clips. I have years of experience with Minolta, Nikon, and Canon, but they don't image as well as Leica. So like you, I am curious about the next steps. So far, from what I have read, there is an abundance of excellent and helpful comments. I look forward to the new experience and being a positive contributor. 

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

OK then.

I know this is a six month old post, but I might have some info for Bitti.

I shoot people all the time, (95%) and I have used the H4D 40, H4D 60 AND THE S006.

I have over heated the H4D 40 while shooting way too fast on a hot summer day at the Boathouse (Central Park Lake) big mistake. I have never had an H camera freeze but I did carry 6 battery packs (my solution) as part of my kit. One comment that I will make is that the huge sensor on the H4D 60 was what I consider MF photography all about.

Fast forward and times have changed, so much tech/design is packed up into MF cameras that just was not available previously. The newer the camera the more this holds true.

Regardless I came to the Leica S somehow and boom, I had for the first time a weather sealed system that was a pleasure to use on location or in studio. A pleasure to use for any subject with the exception of fast moving people and high shutter rates. No ONE tool does it all.

The color issue does not really impact me, I think post is a part of the process that I can oversee but one that other professionals perform better than I. CCD is wonderful color CMOS not so much. But CMOS makes for a more useable camera and I can always get the look I need myself (with time) or from others.

It is hard to go wrong with an optical viewfinder for my working methods, you might like something else? 

Leica glass is amazing, I like that.

YMMV.