CV 50mm 1.1 vs Sony A7..

tedd

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Strange title, I know!

I don't do a lot of low-light work, but I do play in bands and sometimes like to bring a camera along to gigs. My main rig is an M240 and 50mm Summicron v5, which I love but seems to suffer a bit in low light compared to my old 5Diii and 50mm 1.2 (understandably).

I don't want to spend a lot here as it's strictly just hobby stuff, but for similar money I could buy either a 50mm Nokton 1.1 or Sony A7s (first version) and mount my M glass on it.

Any thoughts on which of these would product the better results? Cheaper lens on body it's designed for, or excellent lens on adapted body?

Cheers!

I don't know how the current Sony cameras behave with M-Mount lenses but older Sonys like A7 (Version 2) are horrible in combination with lots of M-Lenses. 50mm could work but with wider lenses you get a lot of crazy unsharpness (smearing). Check it first with your lens(es) before you buy.

My A7s1 is my favorite M camera ;), works fine with most of my 30+ Leica lenses but it is a Kolari modded version and it is not for jpeg shooters. I would not buy one w/o the Kolari modification though.

The A7 will probably be fine with a 50mm lens, but sooner or later it will die. Whereas the Nokton will still be around for many years, will continue to function on any M body you choose to attach it to and will keep a residual value provided it's reasonably taken care of. Also, no need to learn - and adapt to - a new camera system. To me it's a no-brainer.

One thought about the lens choice: the CV 50mm 1.1 has a not so good (try to avoid the term "bad") reputation wide open. It's a compromise. The new CV 50mm 1.2 is much better here. If you go for the cheaper lens and you can live with the performance wide open then you could also take a look at the DJ Optical 50mm 1.1 (7Artisans) lens.

The Nokton 1,1 is not so "bad" either. It has a problem with CA in backlight conditions. At infinity wide open I think it is more than good enough.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

A crop from upper right corner:

In my opinion the Nokton 1.1 is a vastly underrated lens, wide open it can give great results:

Having sid that, the Nokton 1.2 is miles ahead! I would splurge for the 1.2, you wouldn’t regret it!

On 6/6/2020 at 7:50 AM, Ecar said:

The A7 will probably be fine with a 50mm lens, but sooner or later it will die. Whereas the Nokton will still be around for many years, will continue to function on any M body you choose to attach it to and will keep a residual value provided it's reasonably taken care of. Also, no need to learn - and adapt to - a new camera system. To me it's a no-brainer.

This is a great point that I'd not considered.

19 minutes ago, Harpomatic said:

Having sid that, the Nokton 1.2 is miles ahead! I would splurge for the 1.2, you wouldn’t regret it!

You just convinced my for the 1.2! I have a few rolls of 120 in the fridge, after blowing through them I might put my Pentax 645 kit up sale to fund this purchase. Since getting a digital Leica all my other cameras have really taken a back seat!!

There aren't really any other fast 50's worth considering, are there? I've eyed off the 7Artistans for years but have never really felt it looked good enough to make the splurge, and a Summilux is out of my budget without selling my 'cron first, which I'm not ready/willing to do.

-------------------

Thanks all for the other replies, some very useful information in there!

34 minutes ago, tedd said:

You just convinced my for the 1.2! I have a few rolls of 120 in the fridge, after blowing through them I might put my Pentax 645 kit up sale to fund this purchase. Since getting a digital Leica all my other cameras have really taken a back seat!!

There aren't really any other fast 50's worth considering, are there? I've eyed off the 7Artistans for years but have never really felt it looked good enough to make the splurge, and a Summilux is out of my budget without selling my 'cron first, which I'm not ready/willing to do.

I guarantee you, you won't regret it. But do keep the Summicron, as an everyday lens it's smaller and lighter and a pleasure to lug around.

The Nokton 1.2 is actually pretty small for its specification, but definitely bigger and heavier than your Summicron. But using it is lush - butter smooth focus and fantastic scalloped ring which I prefer to a focus tab, aperture ring feels great, easy to nail focus if your rangefinder is calibrated well. And the rendition is beautiful, no ninja stars in the bokeh if you stop it down one or two stops (the Summilux Asph has the problem), very little focus shift that doesn't matter in real use - never missed focus for focus shift, it was always me!