cl: wrong place, but i know you guys ;)

1 hour ago, jaapv said:

Profiles are meant to make it even simpler ;)  The more simple a camera - the better it works for me - I have a simplistic mind :lol: 

+1. Usefull for uncoded M lenses too. No need to scroll the lens menu then. I have a profile for the MATE and another one for the Summilux 35/1.4 pre-asph this way. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, lct said:

Usefull for uncoded M lenses too. No need to scroll the lens menu then. I have a profile for the MATE and another one for the Summilux 35/1.4 pre-asph this way. 

I placed the lens menu on the FN button. Assume you placed the lens profiles on the FN button as well. What is gained? Wouldn't it take exactly as may button clicks to select a lens profile as selecting the lens from the menu?

Interesting. I guess we all have different ways of working. I do not use any lens-specific parameters. I always use aperture priority and manual focus.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

1 hour ago, Joachim_I said:

I placed the lens menu on the FN button. Assume you placed the lens profiles on the FN button as well. What is gained? Wouldn't it take exactly as may button clicks to select a lens profile as selecting the lens from the menu?

1 click on the FN button + 4 clicks on the right arrow, vs 1 click on the menu button + 3 clicks on the bottom arrow + 1 click on the M-Lenses menu + as many clicks as necessary to select the lens (23 for a 35/2 pre-asph). Thanks no thanks :cool:.

58 minutes ago, lct said:

1 click on the FN button + 4 clicks on the right arrow, vs 1 click on the menu button + 3 clicks on the bottom arrow + 1 click on the M-Lenses menu + as many clicks as necessary to select the lens (23 for a 35/2 pre-asph). Thanks no thanks :cool:.

i don't understand this lens profile thing. i have two /m/ lenses now and i simply deleted all the other listings. you can always put them back if you get a new lens, add it, then delete them again--it only takes a minute or two.

but even that might not have been necessary as when i mount one of the lenses (one has coding, one doesn't) it pops up the listing for it and then remembers it until you put on a different lens. since i've been using the 50/2 so much, it hasn't prompted me to select it for over a month now. maybe some of you guys change lenses way too much! :) 

btw, although i've owned more than a half-dozen cameras which use 'profiles' over the last ten years, i've rejected using them. you think keeping track of what function is assigned to a key is hard? try remembering what settings are in each profile. and yes i realize you can 'label' them with the overall or main setting. i tried it with my gh5 long ago and it was impossible despite it having a dial position for each of 3 profiles unless i kept index cards in my pocket. that's why holding down a button to see the function is so brilliant--nothing to remember.

/guy

Edited by gteague

I also took years before adopting profiles. But once I did, I cannot live without them  

I also got one profile per R lens. That way the CL is tailored suit for each lens. 

Obviously APO-Macro-Elmarit-R 100 will need specific setup for macro use. And different one for portraits. So two different profiles are quite handy. 

1 hour ago, gteague said:

i don't understand this lens profile thing. i have two /m/ lenses now and i simply deleted all the other listings. you can always put them back if you get a new lens, add it, then delete them again--it only takes a minute or two.

but even that might not have been necessary as when i mount one of the lenses (one has coding, one doesn't) it pops up the listing for it and then remembers it until you put on a different lens. since i've been using the 50/2 so much, it hasn't prompted me to select it for over a month now. maybe some of you guys change lenses way too much! :) 

btw, although i've owned more than a half-dozen cameras which use 'profiles' over the last ten years, i've rejected using them. you think keeping track of what function is assigned to a key is hard? try remembering what settings are in each profile. and yes i realize you can 'label' them with the overall or main setting. i tried it with my gh5 long ago and it was impossible despite it having a dial position for each of 3 profiles unless i kept index cards in my pocket. that's why holding down a button to see the function is so brilliant--nothing to remember.

I'm no profile teacher ;) but with some lenses i like focus peaking for instance and with others not. Or for some pics i will use the electronic shutter and for others not. I would not waste even one or two minutes on things like that. YMMV.

Edited by lct

7 hours ago, lct said:

Hmm, that's a bit misleading. A single (!) click on FN shows all my eight uncoded lenses on one page. I don't need to go into the menu and I certainly don't need to click through the whole lens list. I limit the lens list to the eight lenses I actually own, of course (actually six but the Tri-Elmar takes three positions). Otherwise, this feature indeed would be painful to use.

1 minute ago, Joachim_I said:

Hmm, that's a bit misleading. A single (!) click on FN shows all my eight uncoded lenses on one page. I don't need to go into the menu and I certainly don't need to click through the whole lens list. I limit the lens list to the eight lenses I actually own, of course (actually six but the Tri-Elmar takes three positions). Otherwise, this feature indeed would be painful to use.

Not sure to follow you. If you click on the FN button you're doing the same thing as i do and there is no lens list available then. Or am i missing something?

6 hours ago, nicci78 said:

Obviously APO-Macro-Elmarit-R 100 will need specific setup for macro use. And different one for portraits

But why? I don't get it. Of course, I use different apertures for macro and portrait. I change them using the aperture ring. I also may use different ISO numbers, I change them with the right wheel. What parameter needs to be fixed for a specific lens? I am not trying to convince anybody of my approach, I seriously want to learn what I am missing.

Edited by Guest
typo

Just now, lct said:

Not sure to follow you. If you click on the FN button you're doing the same thing as i do and there is no lens list available then. Or am i missing something?

Just put it there. I am not saying that I am not using any profile, I do. And my (single) profile places the lens list on the FN button. I just don't use lens-specific profiles.

2 minutes ago, Joachim_I said:

Just put it there. I am not saying that I am not using any profile, I do. And my (single) profile places the lens list on the FN button. I just don't use lens-specific profiles.

OK so you're happy with 1 profile and i'm happy with 6, la vie est belle :D.

8 hours ago, gteague said:

don't understand this lens profile thing. i have two /m/ lenses now and i simply deleted all the other listings. you can always put them back if you get a new lens, add it, then delete them again--it only takes a minute or two.

A minute or two can lose you a fair number of photographs - A fraction of a second for one or two clicks is preferable by far. I am out to take photographs, not to play around with camera settings.

4 minutes ago, jaapv said:

A minute or two can lose you a fair number of photographs - A fraction of a second for one or two clicks is preferable by far. I am out to take photographs, not to play around with camera settings.

you only have to do it once. just bring up the list and at the bottom i think there's an option to edit it. delete all the lenses you don't own or don't use and you're done. the only time you'd have to do it again is if you get a new lens or perhaps if you borrow or rent one. simply restore the list, then delete all but the ones you currently have.

/guy

Edited by gteague

I think that you are missing the point of user profiles, though.
Although they can be practical to preset a certain lens, they are primarily meant as presets for standard situations, to reduce a (large) number of menu choices to one or two clicks. For instance, if you have set your camera to "outdoors", say; spot metering, field focus, ISO 200, aperture priority, etc, you might want to go indoors and shoot some family stuff. Change the user profile to "indoors" with two clicks and you will have: field metering,  face recognition focus, Auto-ISO to 1600, shutter priority and whatever else takes your fancy.
You can make a profile for each of your preferred shooting situations and avoid wasting minutes of changing parameters, with the added risk of making a mistake, or forgetting one setting, and spoiling the subsequent shoot.

Should you want to have so many  user profiles that you run out of slots, you can always save a numbe of lesser used ones to a small SD card and quickly restore them when needed. Obviously you'd need another small card to hold your basic batch of profiles to restore them afterwards.