cl: wrong place, but i know you guys ;)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

finished my 7 reviews. the rockwell one was if anything, longer than huff's. but despite me predicting he'd fall all over himself with praise, he detailed every wart and blemish of the m240's operation although he did conclude (mostly) that the imaging out of the m240 was superb. if you fought your way through slow metering and focus successfully. over the years i've learned to work around nearly any camera shortcoming, but my eyes are unforgiving when there's focus issues.

in short, i've nearly concluded that i picked the best leica for me the first time by (nearly) blind luck although it's not an /m/. oh well, maybe the m11 ....

tks to all! i knew i came to the right place before i parted with a lot of money.

/guy

• Like 5

vor 5 Stunden schrieb gteague:

finished my 7 reviews. the rockwell one was if anything, longer than huff's. but despite me predicting he'd fall all over himself with praise, he detailed every wart and blemish of the m240's operation although he did conclude (mostly) that the imaging out of the m240 was superb. if you fought your way through slow metering and focus successfully. over the years i've learned to work around nearly any camera shortcoming, but my eyes are unforgiving when there's focus issues.

in short, i've nearly concluded that i picked the best leica for me the first time by (nearly) blind luck although it's not an /m/. oh well, maybe the m11 ....

tks to all! i knew i came to the right place before i parted with a lot of money.

/guy

Good decision. I have been owning the M 240 before purchasing the CL and I seem to have the same eyesight issues as you (astigmatism - the screw-on correction is useless). Everything has already been well said by @jaapv. I can no longer use the M 240 except with my glasses on - it is more or less OK  when there are straight lines to focus on, but landscapes are problematic unless you set the lens to infinity. The mediocre EVF is usable, but the CL works so much better. Focus peaking is difficult with the M 240, Forget about using the display. Image quality is really good, although some prefer the M 10 or even M 9  (beware, the latter has no EVF). It is a matter of taste and habits. I still have the M 240, but can‘t bring myself to use it. For me, it is EVF only by now. The CL is best for me, and if I wanted to carry the weight and bulk and would not mind the cost, S1 Pro or SL2.

Edited by EUSe
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, gteague said:

i also have extreme farsightedness and now amblyopia, so i doubt any optical solutions designed only for astigmatism would work. :)

/guy

You have definitely come to the best conclusion with your eyesight problems.  The CL is a perfect vehicle for using your M lenses, I don't see any point in any M unless you will be happy with the Rangefinder, although I do understand it may be an itch you feel the need to scratch😉!   

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Boojay said:

You have definitely come to the best conclusion with your eyesight problems.  The CL is a perfect vehicle for using your M lenses, I don't see any point in any M unless you will be happy with the Rangefinder, although I do understand it may be an itch you feel the need to scratch😉!   

Your point is irrelevant!  An itch is an itch!  :) :) :) 

I have M240 and I use with EVF more than with OVF. I don't see the EVF any mediocre at all. It is not as good as the M10 EVF but still excellent. 

I also don't see the color pallet difference from M10 or M9 matters much. I prefer a lightly lower contrast and higher saturation, with this preset, I really don't see the exact original native color pallet. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jaapv said:

Another problem with those EVFs is that they are getting long in tooth. I have already binned one and used a broken one for spare parts to repair yet another one 

if you mean the accessory evf, rockwell saved his worst venom for those--evidently it was made by olympus or olympus licensed it--calling it 'chinese crap'. which is likely considered mildly racist in this day and age i guess. i got booted from a fb group once for bitching about chinese programming. :) 

/guy

26 minutes ago, jaapv said:

Another problem with those EVFs is that they are getting long in tooth. I have already binned one and used a broken one for spare parts to repair yet another one 

If you mean the weakness of the 90 degree joint, the EVF for M10 or T may suffer the same problem. I cant see any way to get away from it. It is by design.

I aways take it off when putting the camera into the bag. That is the most problematic situation. Carrying the camera on the shoulder across the waist the camera should be in front of the arm, hot behind. This should help. 

tks to whoever posted the link to this blokes youtube. he doesn't look old enough to shave, but makes some good points in the comparison between the cl and the m240. i noted that he didn't seem to realize the m240 had focus peaking and live view though and gave points to the cl over it because of it:

https://youtu.be/v8YfSuKdOf8

/guy

3 hours ago, gteague said:

if you mean the accessory evf, rockwell saved his worst venom for those--evidently it was made by olympus or olympus licensed it--calling it 'chinese crap'. which is likely considered mildly racist in this day and age i guess. i got booted from a fb group once for bitching about chinese programming. :) 

/guy

That is baloney. It was designed and made by Epson and sold both to Olympus and Leica in slightly different form. At the time of design of the M240 there was no better EVF available on the market and Lerica could not make a better one themselves.

• Like 1

Don't read reviews. Just try one for 2 weeks at least. If not satisfied, give it back.

After the CL, I will never buy a digital M again, nor an M lenses probably. 

I really like rangefinder. But really hate the 0.7m minimum focusing. Not really good at social distancing I guess. 😙

• Like 1

considering how much i seem to whinge and moan about controls, i thought i'd describe how a shooting session goes using my panasonic s1. i've used panasonic for maybe 15 years or more after realizing that the sony and olympus menu systems were too complex for any casual use no matter how good the hardware. i've had the lx point and shoot models and a couple of the g/gx rf-style modes before getting the gh5 and then the s1. i still have a lx100 and a gx85 and the gh5, but they've been gathering dust and cobwebs since i got the s1 and now the cl which is basically replacing the gx85 which was about as good a pseudo-leica in regards to how it felt as it gets. the regret is that all the very nice m43 lenses i have are really only usable on the gx85 and the gh5.

anyway, my method of operation has progressed along with the panasonic hardware and software and i declared the gh5 the absolute best camera when it came to control and operation i'd ever owned. and indeed i'd have to go back to the canon a1 and nikon f series and then the nikon af 8000 series to say i'd been completely comfortable and efficient in using it.

but i'm here to tell you that the s1 was a revelation! after coming from years with the very small m43 mirrorless stuff, i was appalled at the sheer size of it as i carry a camera on my evening walks and every ounce is a burden. and the 24-105/4 kit lens was an obscene size compared to the m43 35-100/2.8 which is like less than 1/3rd the size. but the size of the s1 gave it a very balanced and stable feel and i can only compare it to the nikon f3 with motor drive, but lighter because no dozen heavy nicad batteries. or 8, i forget.

anyway, the size also spread the function buttons out more and allowed for more of them. if you count every button which can have functions assigned i'll bet it's approaching 4 dozen. but the secret to not getting overwhelmed is the trick which leica has adopted--the very best trick ever invented since digital cameras and function buttons arrived--holding down the button to see what the underlying function is and being able to change it on the fly.

so here's the most used functions and how i use them. there are two buttons on the front panel to the right of the lens. you can tell which is which by feel. the top one is the tele-conv function. i press it and can choose between 1.4x and 2.0x with the front dial. note this isn't digital zoom but reduces the image size to attain the magnification. considering my semi-rural location and paranoid trigger-happy landowners, i'm constantly using this button no matter how long the lens.

the button right below it toggles between b&w and color profiles with a single press. these and the front dial, which does exp-comp and selections of items, are my most used controls and they are literally all right under your fingertips in operation.. i also programmed the upper 4-way joystick for display stuff such as level, histogram, zebras, and peaking and a touch toggles those on and off.

and yes, i know, there is a dedicated button behind the shutter for exp-comp, but you have to press the button, then select your compensation. using the front dial means you only have to turn it and can feel the clicks without looking.

here's the differences in using the cl, i have to press the right button to select profiles, then slowly scroll to b&w or color instead of a one-button toggle. there is no tele-conv function at all. if i want level or histogram i have to go into the menu system. to use exp-comp i have to awkwardly try to turn the left dial.

now, the cl is about 1/3rd the size of the s1, so i can't really compare such a compact camera to a full size one. but i'm just explaining why i might complain at times! i'm spoiled rotten by the s1. i wonder if the sl2 has the same layout and ease of programming.

/guy

Edited by gteague

You should use profiles. It is the way to use the CL.

One profile for every situations. 
Macro ? = macro profile. It will set everything accordingly. Such as speed priority mode, set to 1/1000th, no focus limiter, auto ISO set ton1/500th, etc...

Portrait ? Aperture priority, etc...

Landscape ? ISO 50, etc...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Profiles are Leica’s scene modes dial. 
Except that you have full control of every settings. And of every modes you really need. Just one button to transform your Leica camera into whatever you really need for that kind of task. 
No need to fiddle with countless of buttons and dials to set your camera up. Do it once and for all. And recall the desired configuration. Whenever you need it. 
One fast menu selection beats hundreds of direct access buttons, dials and switches. 

• Thanks 1

That is indeed the correct way and the one the designers intended. . I  only have to use the top dials when the camera is at my eye, plus maybe a thumb press on the central arrow pad one to bring up focus aids, histogram ore artificial horizon; no other controls. I also fail to replicate the crooking of the index finger  when operating the left dial. It only needs sliding forward off the shutter button by one cm. Straight...🙄

I admit that I never saw the need to set up different profiles for different purposes. The CL is very simple to use without them. I bought the CL because it does not have "hundreds" of buttons, dials and switches. I have a single profile that just works for me.

Edited by Guest