Sometimes things just work...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

A rainy day, so I cobbled up a really long combo, 750 mm equivalent.:

MR-Telyt 500, KafConcept R/M and Leica M/L adapters, TL, Rowi shoulder pod.

Settings: Auto ISO to 1600, min shutter speed 1/1000

Results -

>Easy, but not really fast to focus on the TL screen, just at the right distance with the pod fully extended, magnification possible, not too much waving around

>Far easier to aim than through a viewfinder

>Consistently sharp images, no motion blur, good focus

>Light (1486 gram)  and compact and perfectly handholdabe, at least in reasonable light.

>care must be taken to mitigate mirror lens bokeh.

>Noise is acceptable, contrast needs a mild boost in postprocessing, "sharpness" (acuity) is better than expected.

I think it will be a keeper combo for safari use (whenever that will be possible again)

Just a few test images, (no artistic stuff, it will have to stop raining and a subject must present itself first ;) )

Focus spot circled., 100% crop included

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 6

Nice! 

I have an old Sigma 600 f/8 mirror lens in Nikon F mount. With a Rayqual adapter, it goes right on the CL and becomes a pretty decent 900mm lens .. of course, like many inexpensive mirror lenses, it's very poor on contrast and the focus zone is shockingly thin, but just a little bit of tweaking on a good exposure and the results look good. 

This is the roof of the church that is across the street (and across the parking lot beyond that!) full-frame with the CL. I so rarely use such a long lens, I wasn't willing to spend much money for one. This one cost me about $100 and I already had the mount adapter. :) 

Edited by ramarren
  • Like 1

Oh yes, I am aware of that. I had what is likely a relative of your lens when I had my Minolta XD-11 system, back in the day. It was a far better performer than this ultra-cheap Sigma is. :) 

G

• Like 1

On 6/5/2020 at 5:18 PM, jaapv said:

A rainy day, so I cobbled up a really long combo, 750 mm equivalent.:

MR-Telyt 500, KafConcept R/M and Leica M/L adapters, TL, Rowi shoulder pod.

Settings: Auto ISO to 1600, min shutter speed 1/1000

[.....................................................]

Tigers, elephants....should take care now!!! 😄  😜

I'm using a 400 M Telyt with a Leicavit, I can directly adapt it to my CL (M to L adapter) or insert a mechanical Visoflex head for slightly closer focusing. It is big but not heavy, hand hold it with a Leica tabletop tripod. I have had good images at 1/500, but prefer 1/640 and up. I try to use ISO 400 but find ISO 800 works slightly better. 

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Photo from the above rig, have to say it would take an extra bag to take this anywhere.

Edited by tommonego@gmail.com
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, tommonego@gmail.com said:

I'm using a 400 M Telyt with a Leicavit, I can directly adapt it to my CL (M to L adapter) or insert a mechanical Visoflex head for slightly closer focusing. It is big but not heavy, hand hold it with a Leica tabletop tripod. I have had good images at 1/500, but prefer 1/640 and up. I try to use ISO 400 but find ISO 800 works slightly better. 

Yes, I have that combo as well, but never use it - too unwieldy for my taste. The Televit is, of course, meant to make it hand-holdable. Quite a practical accessory.

On 6/6/2020 at 9:18 AM, jaapv said:

The Leica ones were made by Minolta and have pretty good contrast for a mirror lens.

I was using the original Minolta RF 500mm mirror lens on my SL 601 last week and with Minolta extension tubes added obtained half life size images 

https://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/277489-the-flower-thread/?do=findComment&comment=3984123

... then last Thursday used the Leica T with same combination and filled the frame with a friend's eye at just over 2m subject distance. 

Adding tubes to the 500mm mirror lens almost creates a budget priced 'pseudo Questar' microscope lens.

To improve focus accuracy I use a hard foam (cut with a bread knife) extension on the lens' focusing ring ... this provides more leverage enabling finer focus.The hard foam extension is secured with rubber bands. Most mirror lens focus helicoids are far too coarse making nailing accurate focus a little 'hit and miss'. 

The Minolta RF 500 manual focus mirror lens developed not only into the Leitz MR Telyt R 500/8 but also into the Minolta AF 500/8 reflex lens ... which is still  in production as the Sony AF 500/8 mirror lens.  

dunk 

Edited by dkCambridgeshire
  • Like 1

vor 12 Stunden schrieb jaapv:

Yes, I have that combo as well, but never use it - too unwieldy for my taste. The Televit is, of course, meant to make it hand-holdable. Quite a practical accessory.

The Televit, makes the focusing smooth and quick, and the CL helps with the focus, still have to use a tripod with the Visoflex and my M3. Your solution makes sense, have never been a fan of mirror lenses, but have never used a Leica mirror lens. The back pack I used to use to carry my 4x5 fits the lens nicely. 

That mirror lens is pretty good, especially on modern higher resolving sensors. The only thing is avoiding busy back- and foregrounds with specular highlights. I also found that on the TL one  can just as well use the LEM/LER adapter by Novoflex.

• Like 1

Very interesting .

I have three Canon lenses (70-200/2.8 , 400DO and the 85/1.2 ) which I`d love to try on the CL .

The fotodiox  adapter seems to be on back order everywhere though.

I have three Zeiss Batis lenses also which keep me tethered to Sony e mount until there`s an adapter available for them .

Edited by Michael Markey

1 hour ago, Michael Markey said:

Very interesting .

I have three Canon lenses (70-200/2.8 , 400DO and the 85/1.2 ) which I`d love to try on the CL .

I have three Zeiss Batis lenses also which keep me tethered to Sony e mount until there`s an adapter available for them .

Be aware, there have been issues with the Fotodiox adapter. A user on this Forum had his his SL fried by the adapter. I think this adapter won't be available until the electronic issues have been sorted out.

Based on my experience the best adapter for Canon EF to L mount is the Sigma MC-21 adapter. It unfortunately it only works on the SL2 & not on the CL or SL601. I use my Canon 400mm DO II on the CL with a Novoflex adapter which I've "dumbed down" by taping over the contacts. See a post I made here:  Novoflex EF adapter on CL

You can use any EF to L "dumb adapter" with Canon lenses on the CL in full manual mode, on lenses with no aperture ring the aperture will be wide open. 

1 hour ago, Michael Markey said:

Very interesting .

There will never be an e-mount adapter. The flange distance is too short (2mm less than the L mount)

5 hours ago, jaapv said:

There will never be an e-mount adapter. The flange distance is too short (2mm less than the L mount)

Ah  … many thanks .

That certainly clarifies things for me .

I`m not a fan of adapting lenses anyway although my M lenses are working fine on the CL .

I`ll have a look at the link though  re the Canon work around .

Nothing to complain about; TL, MR-Telyt 500 ;)

• Like 4

1 hour ago, pop said:

Er - what might the ringlet in the sky be? Sensor in need of cleaning?

I thought I had them all. The sensor was filthy. :lol: But a number were OOF mosquitoes.   A mirror lens makes such nice ringlets  instead of dust spots. I could sell it as corrosion. 😅

• Haha 1