Do you always shoot with the Leica Q2 with its lens hood?

I had the leica handgrip on my Q2, including the lens hood. Since six months I want to work as compactly as possible, no more handgrip and no lens hood. Only a Leica filter on the lens. Super compact camera and don't miss the lens hood at all. Nice and minimalistic, also nice because I often have the camera with me.

1 hour ago, daan said:

I had the leica handgrip on my Q2, including the lens hood. Since six months I want to work as compactly as possible, no more handgrip and no lens hood. Only a Leica filter on the lens. Super compact camera and don't miss the lens hood at all. Nice and minimalistic, also nice because I often have the camera with me.

No thumbs up grip? It's tiny (connects via the hot shoe, though you're prob. familiar), and it makes holding the camera WAY more comfortable. For me at least. 

Advertisement (gone after registration)

7 minutes ago, SirBlunder said:

No thumbs up grip? It's tiny (connects via the hot shoe, though you're prob. familiar), and it makes holding the camera WAY more comfortable. For me at least. 

The thumbs up is indeed comfortable, but I think it works fine for me at the moment this way. In addition, I also think the camera looks very nice as it is. But correct, it is the only accessory I would have as an option at the moment.

My Q2 -

Leica Hood never off;  lens cap (Leica or any other) never on.  

Standard Leica strap that came with the camera.

Thumbs up (aftermarket).  

FWIW - Bought a Leica Handgrip, thinking it would be helpful; it wasn't.  Shot with it one day, took it off when I got home and it's now in a drawer.  I find the thumb thingie to be much more useful than the handgrip on the Q2.  I find the opposite on an M10.  Go figure

On 8/7/2022 at 7:56 AM, MJB said:

No lens hood on any lens, ever.  Never had a problem without one, never saw a need for one.  Most of them take up way more space than they're worth and offer not much more than a theoretical benefit, IMO.

Years ago I, being a fumbling old fool dropped a 35 Asph Summicon on a concrete pad.  The lenshood was badly dented but the lens was fine.  If there was no hood it definitely would have shattered the front element and bent the ring the hood screwed into.  Cost to replace the hood...at that time about $125.  Cost if there was not hood...$3500.

Always have a hood on my lenses.

The hood provides the best protection to the lens. And it reduce or minimize most flares in most situations to keep the optimum contrast. The square hood also makes the camera look prettier. No point to take It off.

The thumb grip makes the holding of the camera much easier. It is also always on.  

The handgrip is nice, especially for people with bigger hand, but it makes the camera a little bulky. The Q2 camera/lens combo is already well balanced, so the handgrip is not as essential. 

Edited by Nick Lo