Do you always shoot with the Leica Q2 with its lens hood?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

7 hours ago, Ken Chuang said:

upgrading from a mini to a BMW

A Mini IS a BMW.

I never owned a Mini, although I have driven a Cooper S quite a bit and it was fun.

I have owned three BMWs, two of which were total duds.

On 6/22/2020 at 10:27 PM, Viv said:

A Mini IS a BMW.

I never owned a Mini, although I have driven a Cooper S quite a bit and it was fun.

I have owned three BMWs, two of which were total duds.

What you mean is mini is owned by BMW. it is still very much a different identity. : )  back to the Q2, I have not spent enough time with it to comment but the fact that the D-Lux is with my daughter says it all. Haha.. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure about everyone else, but mine is such a pain to screw back on that I keep it on all the time (as I do with my other cameras - have never had an issue with a lens hood negatively effecting any shots I have taken.

• Like 2

Always on, protection for the lens and reduction of flare. As long as you make sure its dead square to the lens axis you shouldn't get darkening in the corners.

On 6/3/2020 at 3:10 AM, johntobias said:

Perhaps but a rocket blower sorts that out and the front element of the camera is protected and it rains a lot in Scotland so the hood keeps rain off the filter.........Scotland-Land of the Purple Heather BUT Land of the dirty weather !    🙂

I absolutely LOVE Scotland! Was there a couple of years back and hiked the Highlands with my Q!

https://brick.smugmug.com/Travel/2018-9-London-Scotland/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/12/2020 at 9:17 PM, brickftl said:

I absolutely LOVE Scotland! Was there a couple of years back and hiked the Highlands with my Q!

https://brick.smugmug.com/Travel/2018-9-London-Scotland/

You have Really captured the esscence of scotland there....despite the rainy weather !   trust me, its gorgeous in the sunshine too!...your street images are fabulous too !  

13 hours ago, dancook said:

Just received my 5th Q series camera!

I've had 3 Q's and 2 Q2's now :D

I always fit just the hood and leave the cap in the box, never covering the lens with anything else.

+1. I’m saving the cap so it’s pristine when I sell my Q2 in 2030. 🤣

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

• 2 years later...

I have my Q2 now for almost two years, added the Leica genuine thumb grip, Handgrip and recently after more than a year of waiting the TvO Vented shade. I love this camera for the outstanding image quality, simpleness of the menu system (vs my Sony A6500 set up), handling, design, size and looks so I decided to get back to the basic looks and put these ad-ons on sale... The standard lens hood works fine for me if I put in on (or using Leica UV protection filter in stead) If I need filters there is my Nisi M75 system in the bag. Which do you prefer?

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by Paul Willems

54 minutes ago, Paul Willems said:

I have my Q2 now for almost two years, added the Leica genuine thumb grip, Handgrip and recently after more than a year of waiting the TvO Vented shade. I love this camera for the outstanding image quality, simpleness of the menu system (vs my Sony A6500 set up), handling, design, size and looks so I decided to get back to the basic looks and put these ad-ons on sale... The standard lens hood works fine for me if I put in on (or using Leica UV protection filter in stead) If I need filters there is my Nisi M75 system in the bag. Which do you prefer?

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

The ventilated lens hood is good for the Q2M - much easier for changing filters, yellow, orange etc - but it's more of a cosmetic addition and doesn't provide the same degree of protection as the original Leica product.