Ken Chuang

Do you always shoot with the Leica Q2 with its lens hood?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I am wondering if everyone is using the Leica Q2 with lens hood or without? What are the yes and no?

The lens hood is on my Q2 all the time (I don't use any accessories that mght necessitate its removal). It seems to me that you have nothing to lose by using it whereas if you don't use it it's  possible to have some flare from the lens if shooting into or towards the sun.

Stephen

Most of the time. Occasionally if I change to a polarizer or ND filter I might shoot without the hood. Depends on the situation and light. I also might remove it and add a close-up filter for macro work. I almost never shoot without a filter of some type in front of the lens. 

3 hours ago, mikegml said:

No never.  It's not a big camera but not small either. I like to keep it as compact as possible.   Shoot with it on and off and decide if it's worth it.

My thoughts initially till I see the reply from others. Seems like it does do something to the quality of the photos.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

5 hours ago, johntobias said:

Yes, always  but I never use the lens cap, just a b&w protection filter 

Wouldn't dust gather on the B+W filter?

2 hours ago, Leica Guy said:

Most of the time. Occasionally if I change to a polarizer or ND filter I might shoot without the hood. Depends on the situation and light. I also might remove it and add a close-up filter for macro work. I almost never shoot without a filter of some type in front of the lens. 

In that case you seldom use the lens hood?: )

Never use it when a polarizer filter is on the camera.  Otherwise, sometimes.  Haven't gotten any bad pictures without it so I don't use it much.  

I am leaning towards not using it as well due to portability and trouble of having to remove it, replace with the adaptor ring and keeping the hood whenever I need to use a filter .. but according to most it does make a difference. Trapped in-between. Guess I will try out this weekend, going downtown Shanghai for some shots with and without. See how it goes. Anyone lives in Shanghai?

1 hour ago, Leica28 said:

Never use it when a polarizer filter is on the camera.  Otherwise, sometimes.  Haven't gotten any bad pictures without it so I don't use it much.  

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Ken Chuang said:

Wouldn't dust gather on the B+W filter?

Perhaps but a rocket blower sorts that out and the front element of the camera is protected and it rains a lot in Scotland so the hood keeps rain off the filter.........Scotland-Land of the Purple Heather BUT Land of the dirty weather !    🙂

Edited by johntobias

5 hours ago, Ken Chuang said:

I am leaning towards not using it as well due to portability and trouble of having to remove it, replace with the adaptor ring and keeping the hood whenever I need to use a filter .. but according to most it does make a difference. Trapped in-between. Guess I will try out this weekend, going downtown Shanghai for some shots with and without. See how it goes. Anyone lives in Shanghai?

If you go looking for flare you'll find it. 

I’ve never shot without it on but then I’ve only had this camera a couple of weeks. I like it for it’s protection qualities if nothing else.

9 hours ago, Ken Chuang said:

Sadly not in Shanghai but I am in Hong Kong if you ever make it this far south. 

Cheers,

Delirious.

53 minutes ago, Delirious123 said:

I’ve never shot without it on but then I’ve only had this camera a couple of weeks. I like it for it’s protection qualities if nothing else.

Sadly not in Shanghai but I am in Hong Kong if you ever make it this far south. 

Cheers,

Delirious.

How's HK? lots of photo opportunities there right now. I am actually from Singapore so HK is like half way in-between.

Yup, will try out this weekend and see which way works well for me.

Mine's always on too. I use the Haoge which is short, keeps the whole package compact and the camera is now almost level at the bottom plate and lens hood when placed on the table.

On 6/3/2020 at 5:35 PM, Ken Chuang said:

How's HK? lots of photo opportunities there right now. I am actually from Singapore so HK is like half way in-between.

Yup, will try out this weekend and see which way works well for me.

Well?  Did you try it out or not?  What's the verdict?

6 hours ago, mikegml said:

Well?  Did you try it out or not?  What's the verdict?

I did and the lens hood shadow post I posted was the result of the trial. I think I will keep it on. : )