Sensor cleaning for S

GMB

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi everyone.  I wonder how you keep the sensor of your S clean and how you clean it if (inevitably?) it collected too much dust.

My personal method for preventing the sensor collecting dust is (a) limit the amount of times you change lenses (b) try to avoid changing lenes in dusty places (c) switch the camera off when changing lenses, (d) hold the camera down when changing lenses, and (e) keep the lenses clean.  Still, after a while the sensor collects dust.

As regards cleaning, I never had much success with using an air pump. If the sensor was dirty, I had to use swaps.  I normally take swaps for full frame sensors and swap the sensor twice.  Normal procedure is as follows: (1) load a plain light blue image on the screen, set camera with normal to long lens to f16 or f22 and ISO 100 and take a shot of the screen while moving the camera, load the image to LR and crack up clarity; this will reveal any spots and shows you where on the sensor there is dust (just remember that to top of the image is the bottom of the sensor); for me this works better than any magnifying glass; (2) mount the camera on tripod with lens facing down; (3) prepare swap and liquid; (4) engage sensor cleaning in the menu and remove lens; (5) use air pump for rough cleaning; (6) change camera position so that the bayonet is upwards with the sensor at approximately  45 degree angle (ideally it points into the direction of a light source); (7) clean sensor with swap; (8) change camera position so that the sensor faces downwards; (9) switch off camera to end sensor cleaning; (10) mount lens and repeat step 1 to check result; (11) depending on result, repeat steps 2 - 10.

I have done it a few times and it words reasonably well, although I am always relieved when it is done because I am always afraid to scratch the sensor.  Also, I am not looking for perfection.

Georg

• Like 1

On 6/2/2020 at 1:34 PM, GMB said:

I have done it a few times and it words reasonably well, although I am always relieved when it is done because I am always afraid to scratch the sensor. 

Of course one never cleans the sensor directly; it’s the cover glass that’s exposed. The key is not to wipe any hard grit across the surface; otherwise like cleaning a small window pane.  Just be sure the liquid product and swabs are fresh and clean, and be appropriately careful.

Jeff

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jeff S said:

Of course one never cleans the sensor directly; it’s the cover glass that’s exposed. The key is not to wipe any hard grit across the surface; otherwise like cleaning a small window pane.  Just be sure the liquid product and swabs are fresh and clean, and be appropriately careful.

Jeff

Like diamond grit? I suppose it could happen. But glass itself and modern coatings are resilient to almost anything other than diamonds and direct full friction gouging contact, picking grit off with a steel tip, no, but a swab it's like wiping a baby's bottom with silk and not sandpaper. To be safe a gell stick would lift any grit off, then a wet clean to get the grease off, that is probably ideal.

2 hours ago, 250swb said:

Like diamond grit? I suppose it could happen. But glass itself and modern coatings are resilient to almost anything other than diamonds and direct full friction gouging contact, picking grit off with a steel tip, no, but a swab it's like wiping a baby's bottom with silk and not sandpaper. To be safe a gell stick would lift any grit off, then a wet clean to get the grease off, that is probably ideal.

+1. And exactly what Leica does, at least according to a video by @TheGodParticle/Hari, now removed (https://www.dpreview.com/news/5471595582/man-v-dust-video-shows-trails-of-leica-s-in-house-sensor-cleaning-service).

• Like 1

G'day Georg,   If you want some tips on how to best clean the S sensor, you might look at the thread "Sensor Cleaning Workarounds"  here in the S forum. (About 9 thread topic listings down in the Index from your thread)  There are some very good tips from S users there and if you wish, my tips at Posts # 8 & 10 in that thread work best for me with my former S cameras and now S3.  Hope this helps.  r/ Mark

Edited by LeicaR10
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 6/3/2020 at 4:35 PM, 250swb said:

Like diamond grit? 

Sand can scratch coatings (and even Gorilla glass). Same care should be exercised with lens cleaning when shooting in wind and sand (beach, desert, etc) using blower first and/or protective filter.  

Cleaning fluid facilitates sensor cleaning, but best to remove any stuck grit (gel stick, for instance) before wiping.  Not saying problems are common...wet cleaning is generally safe and uneventful... but there are real world exceptions. I don’t bother with protective covers for my camera or phone screens, but others seem to find ways to scratch theirs....without using diamond grit.

Jeff

• 1 month later...

My question isn't about sensor cleaning but about sensor corrosion. Does anyone know if sensor corrosion spots get more prevalent over time (like bacteria on a petri dish!) or is it the case that the spots you currently have will be the only ones you're likely to get? Over the course time I've saved a couple of photos of my 006's sensor corrosion and from the photo I took in February to the photo I took just now there don't appear to be any new ones. 

My current 006 has around 100 sensor corrosion spots (with the associated haloes around them) whereas the one that I just bought from Adorama only has 6! Will 6 become 100 over time and will 100 become 500 over time??

Thanks

Sarnian,   A fellow photographer I know who owned a S006 had a situation as you described.  His camera sensor corrosion grew well over 100 spots before sending for sensor replacement.  He has since moved to the S007 and has not had any issues.  Hope this helps.  r/ Mark