S70 aperture stuck

setuporg

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I got a used S70 and saw that my shots are overexposed.  Then I realized the aperture is not moving.  Confirmed it by using the aperture preview button.  It makes some noise but nothing is happening.  Is this a defect of the lens that requires a return, or is there anything to try?

Setuporg,  I had the same issue with my S70 when I first started using it with the then new S2.  As John wrote above, the solution requires the lens go to Wetzlar.  It is very frustrating to be sure.  I did try wiping the lens contacts and that helped, but it was a short lived solution.  If you have a photo of the over exposure to send along with the lens, I suggest you send it too.  Could well be why the previous owner sold the lens.  Also, you might ask Leica to check their data base to see if the AF motor was upgraded as well.  Hope this helps.  r/ Mark

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, GMB said:

Repair by Leica was very quick. 

The workshop at Wetzlar is now open again and accepting repairs. The lady I spoke to (via e-mail) told me that there wasn't a large backlog. 

• Like 1

Well this was from a used gear store and they offered to repair in house.  It was within return window and I returned it, as it also had dings that were not nice to have.  OTOH, it's good to know there's a shop in the US that repairs Leica gear if needed.  I'm a repeat customer.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 6/2/2020 at 5:54 PM, John McMaster said:

I had that with the zoom, trip to Solms was the cure....

john

Mine should have earned the most frequent flyer miles!

For fun I just calculated that including original supply it has done about 77 000 miles so far!

Initial delivery plus 3 return repair trips to Wetzlar, AF motor fail, central shutter fail, and a second central shutter fail several months after that!

• Like 1

Setuporg,  Glad to hear it worked out for you with the return.  Personally, I only send my S gear to Wetzlar if needing any work done.  I send my M gear to DAG if the items are out of warranty.   I have never had an issue with Leica Wetzlar for repairs.  Leica NJ was a different story for me at one time and stopped sending gear there.  I know things have improved at NJ.  I know others have varying  opinions.  But for me, the mothership for repairs has been a good experience over the many years.  r/ Mark 

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I bought a 70mm CS on eBay with the following item description: "The centre shutter function has failed on this lens, so sold as it". As it was the CS version I bid on it with the thought of sending it off to Wetzlar to get it fixed. I had already e-mailed Leica to check if the lens had a new shutter (always advisable to do before buying second-hand) but their reply came too late and I had already won the auction. Leica's reply was this: "I cannot see any AF-Motor replacement. The last time it was here was in September 2020 and couldn’t be repaired anymore due to water damage". Oh! 

The lens came today and it appears to work fine at all apertures using both the FPS and CS settings. Without a studio setup how can I confirm if the Central Shutter is working or not? 

If it does work just fine then I got it for a really good price (£500). I'm reluctant to send if off to Leica to have it checked over, though, as if they again report back that it has suffered water damage (something the seller strenuously denied when I tried to cancel my order before they shipped it) Leica will refuse to service it and charge me a service rejection charge. 

Thanks in advance.

8 hours ago, Sarnian said:

I bought a 70mm CS on eBay with the following item description: "The centre shutter function has failed on this lens, so sold as it". As it was the CS version I bid on it with the thought of sending it off to Wetzlar to get it fixed. I had already e-mailed Leica to check if the lens had a new shutter (always advisable to do before buying second-hand) but their reply came too late and I had already won the auction. Leica's reply was this: "I cannot see any AF-Motor replacement. The last time it was here was in September 2020 and couldn’t be repaired anymore due to water damage". Oh! 

The lens came today and it appears to work fine at all apertures using both the FPS and CS settings. Without a studio setup how can I confirm if the Central Shutter is working or not? 

If it does work just fine then I got it for a really good price (£500). I'm reluctant to send if off to Leica to have it checked over, though, as if they again report back that it has suffered water damage (something the seller strenuously denied when I tried to cancel my order before they shipped it) Leica will refuse to service it and charge me a service rejection charge. 

Thanks in advance.

You will be able to see the CS close on lens every time you press the shutter when you select the CS dial. And also even without looking, you will feel an additional secondary movement on the lens once you press shutter, from the normal mode.

7 hours ago, xiaubauu2009 said:

You will be able to see the CS close on lens every time you press the shutter when you select the CS dial. And also even without looking, you will feel an additional secondary movement on the lens once you press shutter, from the normal mode.

Yep, that's what I see. I guess I got lucky as this is contrary to what the seller and Leica itself reported about the condition of the lens!