Moving from CL to D-LUX 7

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi folks,

i’m moving from CL to D-LUX 7.

Why:

I work out daily in mother nature with my bike  for approx. 1 hour. Of course depending on weather conditions. Having always my LEICA with me around the neck. First SL (great camera)  to heavy, second CL (great camera) coming to my age of 73 to heavy. So i decided to change to D-LUX 7. And i tell you something, this little toy is for my needs terrible fantastic.

D-Lux 7, 1/125  f/ 5.0 ISO 200 34 mm

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by d_w_wolves
  • Like 5

Let us hope that you remain a happy man for a long time. As an octagenarian who remains very happy with his CL and who also enjoys his D Lux typ 109, we are both contented photographers. 😀

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

After my accident, I sold all my Leica's (M-P240/Lenses/X1/XVario/V-Lux 4) Just had the little V-Lux 40.. yearned for a better Leica, bought the D-Lux 7 - wonderful camera.. Stands up very well against the X1 & XVario...  Menu & some settings can be a little cumbersome to navigate..  Enjoy    L

Edited by lykaman
  • Thanks 1

Like other recent Panasonic-Leica collaborations, you can even effectively double the long end of the zoom with rather good interpolative software in the camera, which might be called "digital zoom."  Check your menu and manual and try it out.  It's remarkably good on the Vlux 4, Vlux114 and Dlux 109.

• Thanks 1

Interestingly the body weight of D-Lux 7 and CL is identical - 403 gram (incl. battery). Add only the 18-56 (256 gram) for the CL. I doubt that weight is much of an argument for one over the other.

vor 38 Minuten schrieb jaapv:

Interestingly the body weight of D-Lux 7 and CL is identical - 403 gram (incl. battery). Add only the 18-56 (256 gram) for the CL. I doubt that weight is much of an argument for one over the other.

Your argument sound for me a little bit strange. Anyway, thats my decision. Only mine. OK!

Advertisement (gone after registration)

As I am one year your senior I am well placed to judge the weight/age relationship of cameras vs human bodies. That 250 grams difference is neither here nor there - just eat two ice-creams less. :lol: 

vor 3 Stunden schrieb jaapv:

As I am one year your senior I am well placed to judge the weight/age relationship of cameras vs human bodies. That 250 grams difference is neither here nor there - just eat two ice-creams less. :lol: 

What are you? My senior? Please come down? Your statement is another reason for me, not to renew, my so to say "Premium Membership". Friends of mine warned me not to join and get "Premium Member" in this forum. They told me, some people would be intolerant. They were right!!!!

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, d_w_wolves said:

What are you? My senior? Please come down? Your statement is another reason for me, not to renew, my so to say "Premium Membership". Friends of mine warned me not to join and get "Premium Member" in this forum. They told me, some people would be intolerant. They were right!!!!

😂 Enjoy your D-Lux 7 - it is a great camera. And Anno Domini don't lie ;):lol:

2 hours ago, jaapv said:

2 hours ago, jaapv said:

And Anno Domini don't lie ;):lol:  <-- Why Add these words?   L

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, lykaman said:

Read the preceding posts. The OP based his camera choice on his age - 73. I pointed out that I was one year older and did not find that a valid reason - at which point the OP got annoyed ;)

vor 4 Stunden schrieb lykaman:

Thank you for your post.

If you read all my preceding posts in this forum, i never complained about the leicas i owned. I knew about their weight and regardless i enjoyed them very much (no lie !!! ???, haha) .

I got my Leica Virus in the 1990's, having the chance to take analog photographs with a LEICA, stated to the 1930's. My purpose for photgraphing, one of my hobby's since I'm teenager, is only to have joy.

• Like 2

vor 15 Stunden schrieb jaapv:

... That 250 grams difference is neither here nor there - just eat two ice-creams less. :lol: 

It depends. I do understand the OP’s decision. A Leica CL with a good lens like the 55-135 APO or 35 mm Summilux TL has some heft. Although I can save weight with the 18 mm TL both on the CL and the TL2, that’s why I purchased one, I often find myself musing about a D-Lux 7 to dwell in my handbag every day. Of course it is always the new kid on the block that is most  interesting and all the rest is neglected.  It is never enough, sigh!  My present favourite is the TL2 because of its ultra-simple user interface and good ergonomics. But I do not bring it every day. If your fingers and neck are aching, you will not want to hold an SL2 or Panasonic S Pro, regardless of age.

Edited by EUSe
  • Like 2

Of course it is a personal thing - with me the CL has replaced the M as a daily carry-everywhere, although I admit the TL with Summicron-C has its attractions, not to mention my X2. I have decided to draw the line at APS-C, anything below that is iPhone territory to me.  YMMV.

vor 1 Minute schrieb jaapv:

Of course it is a personal thing - with me the CL has replaced the M as a daily carry-everywhere, although I admit the TL with Summicron-C has its attractions, not to mention my X2. I have decided to draw the line at APS-C, anything below that is iPhone territory to me.  YMMV.

Good point. The M has never been a daily carry-everywhere for me, in contrast to the X1, what I don‘t like is its 24 mm (=36mm) lens, not wide enough for me. The CL and TL2 now stand their ground against my Olympus MFT system, except for very high magnifications (extreme tele lenses).

• Like 1

I too have MFT cameras, and they are pretty good, but I find the IQ/bulk (weight) ratio goes to the Leica APS systems. The GX8 that I have is of similar size and weight as as the CL, but there is a clear difference in the quality of the output. As you say, the lack of long lenses hobbles the Leica system. I find it a strange omission; the smaller the format, the more suitable for sports and wildlife it is.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, jaapv said:

Read the preceding posts. The OP based his camera choice on his age - 73. I pointed out that I was one year older and did not find that a valid reason - at which point the OP got annoyed ;)

No accounting for Taste!!

Edited by lykaman

Nowadays my order/list of considerations when thinking about new equipment is (a) weight, (b) weight, (c) weight & repeat...  At 73 years old with the added 'bonus' of ME (aka Chronic Fatigue) & Fibromyalgia weight rules!  Sometimes I ignore such a consideration, as I did on Monday afternoon when I took an hour-long stroll with M10M, R to M adaptor and 21-35mm Vario Elmar-R - total weight circa 1250g.  A worthwhile effort from a photographic standpoint but one I will not repeat - the aches, pains and tiredness the following day were unpleasant and took a long time to begin to fade.  If I manage to venture out again this week it will be with my D-Lux 7 and future outings with M10M will be with only a single M lens - the R's can stay home.

• Like 4