Advertisement (gone after registration)

Yes, Pippy. I wondered if there was a "northern European" standard at work here.

I remember my Flanders & Swann from the age of 6.

"Ah, summer; summer is here again. Missed it last year - I was in the bathroom." - introduction to A Song of the Weather ;)

Meanwhile, yes, a measured 13-stop brightness range is quite common here in Colorado: Stark blue skies with often not one cloud (for fill reflections) to be seen, horizon to horizon. Visibility significantly >50 miles, air about 80% the density of sea level = less scattering. I haven't needed a polarizer in 28 years - with a 21 in vertical orientation, the sky goes nearly black at the top of the frame if I hold detail in a white T-shirt (even with a Mandler 21).

Edited by adan
  • Haha 1

My 'working' set - all E46. Two missing red dots as ever🙂.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 14

51 minutes ago, adan said:

Yes, Pippy. I wondered if there was a "northern European" standard at work here.

I remember my Flanders & Swann from the age of 6...

I've had a hunch for quite a while that geographic latitude might play a not inconsiderable part in the Like/Don't Like of the Karbe-era lenses. Should probably start taking notes!...

And I'm very partial to a touch of F&S myself! Just thinking about "Madeira, M'Dear?" puts a smile on my face every time......:lol:......

Philip.

1 hour ago, pippy said:

As to the first part we both know the answer is because the dynamic range of the image-area is greater than the capability of the sensor to record, simultaneously, information at both the tip of the toe and at the end of the shoulder in the rel.log-e curve for that particular set of circumstances.

I was going to write a load of stuff about the "0.5-256, 1-10 Zone System" but, as we both know it anyhow, I will shorten it to this; if - just by way of example - you live in an area where a Log-E of "0.5-2048" (or higher) is the order of the day then the Mandler-era lens is understandably your best choice. If I live in an area where "0.5-256" (or lower) is 'the norm' then the more modern higher-contrast lenses will be the clear winner over the older designs. Such are our respective choices; no one is in the wrong as far as that is concerned.

And Galileo v's 'The Firm' was a two-way street as both parties utterly believed that they had the necessary, unarguable empirical evidence to back up their own claim - hence my earlier comment about "certain empirical evidence".

And, of course, there is no accusation of Heresy......:lol:......just an acceptance of a belief in slightly different faiths!

:)

ANYHOW...back on topic!

If I'm allowed one more 'favourite' to add to my earlier three I'd choose this; my 1954 f3.5 Summaron;

Philip.

I'm usually not at all keen on Leicas with coloured leather, but that is a gorgeous combination Philip. Congratulations!

• Thanks 1

Lightweight minimalist set😉 35 Summilux and 90 TE.

• Like 14

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I won't bore you with lenses you can see above folks so upon general request, here are my favorite lenses for good light on the digital CL. Adapted Tessar 35/3.5, Elmar-M 50/2.8, Skopar 21/3.5 and Tri-Elmar 28-35-50/4. I wanted small lenses matching well my all time favorite Elmar-M 50. Easy to achieve with the Tessar, less so with the Skopar but all in all i end up carrying them in my tiny combi case for film CL most of the time. The Mate is a good alternative as a single lens solution. Et voilà you know how to win the Pulitzer prize now :D.

• Like 10

The first version of the 35mm Summicron f2, the famous 8 elements Germany version on Leica m10 and fabulous Ostrich case by Angelo Smaldore.

Shot on Leica S007 with Summicron-S 100mm f2.0 ASPH

• Like 12

• 3 weeks later...

My collection:

APO Telyt 135mm f3.4

APO Summicron 90mm

Noctilux 50mm f0.95 ASPH

Summicron 50mm V

Tri-Elmar M 16-18-21mm ASPH

Mi favourite lens? the smallest, Summicron 50mm

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 1 year later...

(i know, I know - "1 Year Later") ;)

But it was a year of experimentation and evaluation - and a couple of new C/Vs turned up to replace other lenses.

Compare to post on page 1 - 35, 75, and 90 are "new."

At most I carry a subset of these at any one time.

Core carry - 21/35/75/135
2 lens set - "Lenny Kravitz Drifter" 28 and 75
"Mandler set" - 21/28/90/135
"1960s Leica M2 Wide" 3-lens set - 21/35/90
"Wide Bridge across Focal Lengths," as Leica once called it - 21/35/135
Low-light kit - 21/35/75

Average price: $712.50
Least expensive: 90mm f/2.8 - $425
Most expensive: 21mm f/2.8 - $1050
Total: $4275.00

Edited by adan
  • Like 6

• 4 weeks later...

It's very interesting to take a look at all your favorite kits, especially to know if one use lens hood, filters or nothing 🙂 Also it looks like some people have lens hood only on specific lenses. Who know why. It would be interesting to know.

@Dennis

hoods can save the lens (or not) when hit hard (or not) depending on hood/lens 😉

if the hood is unpractical (too big, hiding VF, etc. ) , I tend NOT to use it if there is no danger of ...(I can live with flare/glare then)

I tend to use hood on longer lenses than 50mm, but rarely on lenses shorter, if I can avoid to use in each case when storing, caps are mendatory and some caps

don't cap some hoods.

Life is not so simple, ONE solution for all ...

13 minutes ago, a.noctilux said:

@Dennis

hoods can save the lens (or not) when hit hard (or not) depending on hood/lens 😉

if the hood is unpractical (too big, hiding VF, etc. ) , I tend NOT to use it if there is no danger of ...(I can live with flare/glare then)

I tend to use hood on longer lenses than 50mm, but rarely on lenses shorter, if I can avoid to use in each case when storing, caps are mendatory and some caps

don't cap some hoods.

Life is not so simple, ONE solution for all ...

It makes sense. It's funny because I always used the lens hood (LH) as protection for the lens. Always. And a bit for flare. Never used filters. But yesterday, I received a new LH to try with my 35mm lenses. Between testing, I left the lens w/o LH for a while. Wow, it was the first time I saw (appreciated) how really big is the OVF and had no VF blockage at all. The lens was out of my 35mm frame lines. Ironically always had LH attached. And the view It's beautiful w/o.
Now I'm seriously interested in using my 35 w/o LH .... Funny. 

• 1 month later...

Lately my luxes are resting as I am using the Summicron 40 and this black paint beauty - Ultron 28/2.

• Like 1

In the back: M10-D, MP BP (à la carte) and M10M

28mm Summilux

35mm Summicron v4

50mm Summicron Rigid

Canon 50mm 1.4 LTM

50mm Summicron APO

75mm Summilux

90mm Elmarit

50mm Noctilux v4

If I could only pick 1 lens, it would be the 75mm Summilux 🙂. This one just happens to be a very, very good copy (late model German production, factory 6-bit coded).

Erik

Edited by egrossman
  • Like 3

• Like 5

Summar 5cm f=2. A breath of haze produces wonderful photos (sometimes:)

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

My new favorite lens: the APO Summicron 50mm ASPH.

• 3 weeks later...