Advertisement (gone after registration)

7 hours ago, colint544 said:

I like this thread. I'm viewing it as an excuse for us to show pictures of our gear. I have six Leica lenses - three modern aspherical lenses, and three older/vintage ones. I find it hard to have an absolute favourite. What I have noticed is that the more 'keepers' I get with a lens, the more I am endeared by it. But then, that applies to all of them, so I'm back to square one.

Anyway - I suppose a favourite combination of mine is my Leica M5 50 Jahre edition from 1975, and 50 Jahre v5 50mm Summicron - from 2003. They balance well together and, at heart, I'm a 50mm sort of photographer. Any 50 Summicron is special. It's a compact lens - in the true Leica M tradition -  bitingly sharp, but gives that wonderful 'rounded' quality to your images. And the v5 is sort of the last bastion of spherical design before they started to switch to modern aspherical lenses. Decades on, Leica still have it in their line-up.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Great combination and my personal -TOP- Leica film camera of all time. Enjoy that wonderful pair!

• Like 1

... simply  -  Showing the essence ...

Am 17.11.2019 um 19:56 schrieb Dao De Leitz:

Elmarit-M 28mm ASPH (206g) /... / Summaron-M 28mm (187g) / Summicron-C 40mm (153g) / Macro-Elmar-M 90mm (271g)

Am 1.4.2018 um 07:37 schrieb Dao De Leitz:

SATE's - Small Angle Tri Elmar's  : ...

1. - lens head E. Leitz Elmar 1:3.5 / 65mm (120g)
2. - lens head E. Leitz Elmarit 1:2.8 / 90mm (131g)
3. - lens head E. Leitz Tele-Elmar 1:4 / 135mm (182g)

4. - APO-Extender-M

Thorsten

• Like 2

Here my faves.

I only have two lenses for my M10: the Zeiss 2.8/35 Biogon, and the 50 Summicron (V). The Cron is by far my favorite lens for Leica 😉 

For my Nikon DSLR, the The 58mm 1.4 . Even though it is not the lens I use the most,  it's definitely my choice. It's not a 50, but not a 75mm either. Excellent soft bokeh, and only 380gr.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Dennis said:

Here my faves.

Dennis,

I just wanted to mention that I have looked through the pictures on your website and I was really disappointed when I came to the end because i just wanted to see more of your work.  The wedding pictures in particular are astonishing and showed me wedding photography in a totally different way.  Your eye and your perception are wonderful.  Kudos to you, Sir.

Pete.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 6

7 hours ago, TheGodParticle/Hari said:

I’ve accepted that i have two passions: (1.) photography (2.) equipment.

So true

• I like driving, but my passion is cars
  • I like flying, but my passion is aviation

so naturally...

• I like photography, but my passion is also equipment
  • Like 3

Advertisement (gone after registration)

2 hours ago, Dennis said:

Here my faves.

I only have two lenses for my M10: the Zeiss 2.8/35 Biogon, and the 50 Summicron (V). The Cron is by far my favorite lens for Leica 😉 

For my Nikon DSLR, the The 58mm 1.4 . Even though it is not the lens I use the most,  it's definitely my choice. It's not a 50, but not a 75mm either. Excellent soft bokeh, and only 380gr.

Have a 50 Summicron coming. Hoping to make it my main lens 😀

The 58/1.4G is magic. By far the lens I miss the most, and one that makes me want to get a Df just to use it again. It has that ‘special sauce’ that makes it better IMO than the original Noct-NIKKOR.

P.S. Some Windex or glass cleaner will have that focus ring looking new. Did that to a few of mine 👍

• Like 1

1 hour ago, farnz said:

Dennis,

I just wanted to mention that I have looked through the pictures on your website and I was really disappointed

I'm so sorry about your disappointment 😉 Thank you so much Pete for your words and feedback, So happy you enjoyed my Ninja style 🙏

6 minutes ago, a5m said:

Have a 50 Summicron coming

Awesome! You are going to love it.

6 minutes ago, a5m said:

The 58/1.4G is magic. By far the lens I miss the most, and one that makes me want to get a Df just to use it again. It has that ‘special sauce’ that makes it better IMO than the original Noct-NIKKOR.

Yes, it's magic. A very special signature style.

8 minutes ago, a5m said:

Some Windex or glass cleaner will have that focus ring looking new.

Good to know, I took the note. But to be honest with you, I like the "lived" look

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Dennis said:

Here my faves.

Dennis - just had a look at your website. Absolutely stunning work, aspirational. Real storytelling. You make it look effortless and, of course, it's anything but!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Well,  Dennis, there are relatively few wedding photographers worldwide who can genuinely live up to their claims of PJ and have a real ability to create sensitive, artistic images but you do it with aplomb.   Nice work!

Back on topic....assuming the OP is specifically referring to our Leica lenses, my selection is modest these days.   Leica M photography for me is more about travelling light with my MP and 2-3 small and compact lenses.  More often than not, I'll make a decision on what I'm setting out to do and take only one lens with me.  I do like my 28's!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, colint544 said:

Dennis - just had a look at your website. Absolutely stunning work, aspirational. Real storytelling. You make it look effortless and, of course, it's anything but!

Thank you so much man 🙏 Yes, a lot of effort, but with the passion is my fuel. So I just don't feel the fatigue, until the day after 😂

4 hours ago, Ouroboros said:

Well,  Dennis, there are relatively few wedding photographers worldwide who can genuinely live up to their claims of PJ and have a real ability to create sensitive, artistic images but you do it with aplomb.   Nice work!

Thank you so much for your feedback. Yes, 100% unscripted. As the Mandalorians are saying: "This is the way!" 

Now let's see some new great favorite lenses 🙌

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Dennis said:

Thank you so much man 🙏 Yes, a lot of effort, but with the passion is my fuel. So I just don't feel the fatigue, until the day after 😂

Thank you so much for your feedback. Yes, 100% unscripted. As the Mandalorians are saying: "This is the way!" 

Now let's see some new great favorite lenses 🙌

This is the way

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, farnz said:

Dennis,

I just wanted to mention that I have looked through the pictures on your website and I was really disappointed when I came to the end because i just wanted to see more of your work.  The wedding pictures in particular are astonishing and showed me wedding photography in a totally different way.  Your eye and your perception are wonderful.  Kudos to you, Sir.

Pete.

Dennis,

From Pete's prompt I too looked through each and every picture from your website and I must say I have never seen a collection of wedding/event/life pictures as creative and imaginative as yours. Some make you laugh, some cry, some just pause to think, but all are fantastically creative and tell such a great story of life's events, simply wonderful work. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, insideline said:

Dennis,

From Pete's prompt I too looked through each and every picture from your website and I must say I have never seen a collection of wedding/event/life pictures as creative and imaginative as yours. Some make you laugh, some cry, some just pause to think, but all are fantastically creative and tell such a great story of life's events, simply wonderful work. 

Thank you so much for your words, you are too kind.  You made my day 🙏 🙏 🙏 

Dennis, your images are just fabulous, what a treat for the eyes, I'm sure you have many very happy clients.  It was even more of a treat to see in these lockdown Covid 19 times, to see so many faces gathered together, happy celebrations etc, I really hope we can get back to those times again soon.  Thanks for the inspiration, or maybe aspiration😊.

My favourites.

The wonderful Elmarit 28 v4 of which my copy is scruffy but stellar; the under-rated Tele-Elmar 135/4; the 35 Summilux pre-Asph; the M10M with the 50 Rigid; the 75 Summilux which doesn't get used all that much but is indispensable when it is; and the tiny and marvellous 'thin' Tele-Elmarit 90.

I have had more modern, more perfect and certainly more expensive (except for the 75/1.4) but these are the ones I have settled down with very happily and I think it's going to stay that way. Though if anyone would like to loan me an f1 Noctilux...... 🙂

Edited by Musotographer
  • Like 7

@TheGodParticle/Hari + @Boojay Thank you both for your nice words, I really appreciate it 🙏 And yes, I'm very looking forward to shoot again in large gathering, hopefully very soon.

1 hour ago, Musotographer said:

I have had more modern, more perfect and certainly more expensive (except for the 75/1.4) but these are the ones I have settled down with very happily and I think it's going to stay that way.

It's not a statistics, but i guess more people in this forum prefer old lenses rather than modern ones. Could be true? For example you use a modern M10M with an old 50 rigid. Why not a 50 Apo or just a 50 Cron V... Just curious. I'm asking because I never tried an old lens, so I just guess the reasons reading your threads.

26 minutes ago, Dennis said:

It's not a statistics, but i guess more people in this forum prefer old lenses rather than modern ones. Could be true? For example you use a modern M10M with an old 50 rigid. Why not a 50 Apo or just a 50 Cron V... Just curious. I'm asking because I never tried an old lens, so I just guess the reasons reading your threads.

I guess the most common answer will be: depends on the situation / subject.

While I have a fair amount of older lenses that I use frequently, I do use the current apo and asph lenses when the situation requires it. 

The apo improvements help focus the light rays resulting in color accuracy and little to no fringing in images. In some cases removing the purple / green fringing also alters the colors in the rest of the image. 

The aspherical / floating elements improve close up performance and minimize optical aberrations (like astigmatism which causes the famous “Leica glow”) and which is evident while shooting the 35/50 FLE summiluxes and the 75apo. The 28Lux unfortunately is prone to purple fringing in backlit/high contrast situations. 

Long story short, the older lenses provide more character to the story, while the newer ones provide noticeable corrections/improvements that remove/reduce imperfections and help create images close to perfection. Within the boundaries of physics and cost. 

I think these samples demonstrate the wide open character of the wonderful 50/f1 v4: 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

Here are two samples from the legendary 75lux: 

• Like 4