SSD backup Storage option w/o Laptop or iPad

Dennis

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi everyone.

Did you try or had some experience with a similar device? https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1437307-REG/gnarbox_gnar256v2_2_0_ssd_256gb_external.html. It looks like a great option.

A little background about my workflow. For my work or when I travel, I used to use cameras with two card slots (for all-day shooting). Big cards of 128gb or even 256gb, depending on the case. So I don't care about back up. Once the job is done, I separate the two cards in two different places (I shoot Raw's in both cards), and I can sleep well. Then I back up everything on an external SSD and/or laptop once I have chance. It always worked perfectly for me. 

When I travel for pleasure, for example, and stay abroad for an extended period, I don't bring a laptop or iPad, I want to be light and carry the essential. But now that I have an M10, to be honest with you, I don't want to shoot with a single big SD card for during my trip. Or use several small cards. I need and want a backup. I always used SanDisk Extreme Pro, and NEVER had a problem in my life. But with such beautiful memories, I'm the kind of guy that needs a backup 🤷‍♂️ 

For the next trip, it will be the very first time with the M10, and as you can imagine, I'm super ultra excited about it. 

What's your experience of traveling without any device to download? Or do you always bring something to download into?  What is your modus operandi, with or without anxiety 😂 

Feedbacks and tips welcome.

Good vibes 

11 minutes ago, ianman said:

I use a Western Digital My Passport Wireless Pro 3TB WiFi. No probs, works perfectly. They have an SSD version too but I have no need for that and the cost is much higher.

Thank you. But can you download several SD cards without the use of laptop or Ipad? Cause it doesn't have display or information to read, at least until you connect it to another device and download. Am I right?

8 minutes ago, Dennis said:

Thank you. But can you download several SD cards without the use of laptop or Ipad? Cause it doesn't have display or information to read, at least until you connect it to another device and download. Am I right?

yes.   it has an SDcard reader.   When you return to base and connect the device to your laptop, you can transfer your files.   Its a very convenient storage system.

So, it automatically detect the card and it download all the media content, correct? Any way to confirm the files are already downloaded? What about you want to download more photos you took on the same card? But I guess the best practice is to download each card when is full and voila.

The saw SSD version here for $199 with 256Gb.

the system will recognise additional photos and download them to the device.

Make sure that the model you are seeing for $199 is a wireless device with an inbuilt card reader.  There are a few different versions.    Check the capacity.  

4 minutes ago, jdlaing said:

I know, this is actually the one I own and use when I travel. With a laptop.

But my point is to find something similar to my first link, a SSD with a SD card reader so I don't need to carry iPad or laptop

Edited by Dennis
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, jdlaing said:

This G Drive is storage that can't be used independently of a laptop or tablet.   

The WD device is all you need to carry. 

47 minutes ago, lucerne said:

Buy the device with the largest storage you can afford>   In the UK, I see that I can buy 500GB for £249.

That is incredibly expensive. Mine is 3TB and I got it for €199. Maybe you are talking about the SSD.

1 hour ago, ianman said:

That is incredibly expensive. Mine is 3TB and I got it for €199. Maybe you are talking about the SSD.

Yes.  SSD .

Its lighter and more robust., and of course faster.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

My 3-year old My Passport Wireless HD has been misbehaving, and WD has cut prices across the board on the Wireless SSD models, so I recently purchased the 250GB SSD model for travel for about $150. Downloading images through the SD card reader is much faster than with the HD. You need to register and set up the thing through a WiFi connection to your laptop or phone/tablet (there's an app for that), but after that it will run independently. I expect that the price cuts mean something shinier and faster is due out, perhaps with USB-C connections.

On 12/1/2020 at 10:56 AM, cboy said:

Avoid WD passporrt like the plague and get an ssd drive for to your own sake. Unless you want find yourself losing your data at some random time like i did and then forking out serious cash to recover it ....

ALSO REDUNDANCY IS GOD! Get a NAS

All that is a bit much to take on the road. The My Passport Wireless (HD or SSD) relieves me of having to take along a laptop on a trip.

• Like 1

On 12/1/2020 at 11:56 AM, cboy said:

Avoid WD passporrt like the plague and get an ssd drive for to your own sake. Unless you want find yourself losing your data at some random time like i did and then forking out serious cash to recover it ....

ALSO REDUNDANCY IS GOD! Get a NAS

NAS is good for home/office. I agree. Or at least SSD, you got it. But on the road, if you are shooting on assignment and you want to make a copy of my SD cards, (before arrived home) what can I do?

2 hours ago, Chuck Albertson said:

All that is a bit much to take on the road. The My Passport Wireless (HD or SSD) relieves me of having to take along a laptop on a trip.

Apologies my issue is only for My Passport HDD. SSD is a must. I just dont want others sharing the same experience of ones portable HDD crashing due to a simple drop or bump while traveling.

@Dennis - Yes NAS for home/office.

Alternatively one can transfer their images  to their phone/ tablet wirelessly or thru a sd to usb c  adapter, then transfer from phone/tablet via usb c onto a m.2 nvme ssd with enclosure. This is probably the most compact setup. Even smaller would be to a flash drive. This option still requires phone/tablet to file manage.

I guess to simplify one can also have a microsd -sd adapter and plug it into the tablet then transfer as above or use wireless transfer with a wd wireless passport

The gnarbox you mention still requires file management for redundancy and same as wd wireless passport ssd w/sd reader.

• Like 1