Need advice on investing in Leica S system

Advertisement (gone after registration)

vor 8 Stunden schrieb Hans-Dieter Gülicher:

Sorry GMB, it`s not my analysis.

I went to Leica Wetzlar because I thought of a lot of dirt on the miror of my 4 week ago bought second hand 007. Than the Leica people told me it`s sensor corrosion and the sensor shoud be changed. They did so and I got back my 007 after about 4 weeks. They also renewed the leather covering and set up the 007 onto the latest state of art.

Regards Hans, by the way, it`s only 170 km = 1.5 h from my home near Cologne to Wetzlar

Interesting, I also had not heard before about S007 corossion.

On 6/3/2020 at 10:57 PM, GMB said:

Sensor corrosion was/is an issue for the CCD sensors of the S2 and S006.  I never heard of corrosion for the CMOS sensor of the S007.  This is the first time that someone mentions this here or in other fora. While there may have been issues with this particular S007, it certainly was not corrosion.  It may have been spots on the sensor from oil from the shutter mechanism, but these can be cleaned. As far as dust, the only option to prevent dust is never change the lens.

18 hours ago, Hans-Dieter Gülicher said:

I went to Leica Wetzlar because I thought of a lot of dirt on the miror of my 4 week ago bought second hand 007. Than the Leica people told me it`s sensor corrosion and the sensor shoud be changed. They did so and I got back my 007 after about 4 weeks. They also renewed the leather covering and set up the 007 onto the latest state of art.

Regards Hans, by the way, it`s only 170 km = 1.5 h from my home near Cologne to Wetzlar

If they use the same glass cover for the sensor on the s006 then corrosion is still possible.

S does use thinner glass cover than other similar size sensor camera to improve image quality. But same that this is the first I heard of for the 007

Am 3.6.2020 um 15:21 schrieb Hans-Dieter Gülicher:

I have paid € 7000 for the second hand 007 plus 35 mm lens at the Leica Store Wezlar (included sensor corrosion). I did pay nothing for the new sensor. But I got the € 7000 back after recieving my new S3 plus 30-90er lense. I hope there will be neither sensor corosion nor dust on the miror in future. Thump up !!!

Regards Hans and much fun with your prospective 007

They wrote on January 22nd, 2020 in the German Forum, that you bought a used S2, not a S007.???

4 hours ago, xiaubauu2009 said:

If they use the same glass cover for the sensor on the s006 then corrosion is still possible.

S does use thinner glass cover than other similar size sensor camera to improve image quality. But same that this is the first I heard of for the 007

23 hours ago, Hans-Dieter Gülicher said:

Sensor corrosion was an issue with certain versions of the CCD sensors used in the S2, S006, M9, and M9M.   It had to do with the way in which the cover glass was fixed on the sensor.  At some point, Leica developed a “permanent” fix, I.e., a sensor where this problem did not occur.  I have not seen a single cases reported in any forum where sensor corrosion occurred after the sensor was replaced.  Nor did I ever hear of a case of sensor corrosion on a Leica CMOS sensor in the S007, the never M models or the SL for that matter. 

BTW, I had one of the early cases of corrosion on my M9.  At that time, the sensor was replaced by the old sensor. So corrosion reoccurred unfortunately. I also had it on my M9M, my S2, and S006.  Just saying this so that you know that I had a certain interest in the matter. I also had a certain dose of interaction with the Leica customer service on that very matter.

To come back to the original question of this thread, buying an S2 or S00y where the sensor has no been replaced is a gamble. However, buying these cameras if they have the permanent fixed sensor or buying an S007 does not entail a risk of sensor corrosion. 

4 minutes ago, Hans-Dieter Gülicher said:

I bought a second hand S2 typ 007 from the Leica Store Wetzlar and after all they made the diagnosis sensor corrotion.

Regards Hans

Hi Hans,

The camera you purchased with the corrosion, did it have live view capability?

Could you post a picture with data showing from Lightroom or other program that lists the model on the info portion of the screen?

Thanks

Advertisement (gone after registration)

1 hour ago, GMB said:

Sensor corrosion was an issue with certain versions of the CCD sensors used in the S2, S006, M9, and M9M.   It had to do with the way in which the cover glass was fixed on the sensor.  At some point, Leica developed a “permanent” fix, I.e., a sensor where this problem did not occur.  I have not seen a single cases reported in any forum where sensor corrosion occurred after the sensor was replaced.  Nor did I ever hear of a case of sensor corrosion on a Leica CMOS sensor in the S007, the never M models or the SL for that matter. 

BTW, I had one of the early cases of corrosion on my M9.  At that time, the sensor was replaced by the old sensor. So corrosion reoccurred unfortunately. I also had it on my M9M, my S2, and S006.  Just saying this so that you know that I had a certain interest in the matter. I also had a certain dose of interaction with the Leica customer service on that very matter.

To come back to the original question of this thread, buying an S2 or S00y where the sensor has no been replaced is a gamble. However, buying these cameras if they have the permanent fixed sensor or buying an S007 does not entail a risk of sensor corrosion. 

If an S2 has a replaced sensor, will the corrosion issue be resolved?  Has that cover glass been changed similar to the M9 where the issue will not recur?

1 hour ago, darylgo said:

If an S2 has a replaced sensor, will the corrosion issue be resolved?  Has that cover glass been changed similar to the M9 where the issue will not recur?

First, the cover glass is glued to the sensor.  Thus, if the sensor is replaced, it comes with a new cover glass.  As far as I know, the corrosion problem was in caused by the manner in which the cover glass was fixed on the sensor.

Second, it depends.  Leica first replaced sensors with the same defective sensor/cover glass combination that was prone to corrosion. Thus, if the replacement sensor in the camera was the old same defective sensor/cover glass combination, corrosion can occur again.  Happened with my S2 and M9, where the sensors were replaced in 2013 (on the S2 for a cracked cover glass and for the M9 for corrosion). At one moment in time, Leica announced that they had permanent fix, i.e., they found a way to "glue" the cover glass to the sensor so that corrosion would not occur again.  I do not recall exactly when that was but I believe some time in 2015.  You probably can find out searching this forum or other fora such as getdpi. Safest way would be to get the product number of the camera and check with Leica Customer service because the invoices/confirmation of the sensor replacement do not show this. 

• Like 1

vor 3 Stunden schrieb darylgo:

Hi Hans,

The camera you purchased with the corrosion, did it have live view capability?

Could you post a picture with data showing from Lightroom or other program that lists the model on the info portion of the screen?

Thanks

Sorry drylgo, I have given back my S2 -007 to Leica and than sold a brand new S3 (with Live View). As I remember (I am not sure) there was no live view possible with the S2.

Regards Hans

40 minutes ago, Hans-Dieter Gülicher said:

Sorry drylgo, I have given back my S2 -007 to Leica and than sold a brand new S3 (with Live View). As I remember (I am not sure) there was no live view possible with the S2.

Regards Hans

There was the S2, then the S006, then the S007, and now there is the S3.  A S2 007 never existed.  S2 and S006 had CCD sensors and now live view.  They had sensor corrosion. S007 had live view and a CMOS sensor (like the new S3).  So I think you got the S2 and not the S007, which explains the sensor corrosion.

Also, you mentioned that you got the camera and the 35 mm lens for €7,000 from the Leitz Wetzlar store.  The lens alone goes from about 3.,500€. A used S007 from the Leitz store @at 3,500 would be very exceptional value.  Thus, the price also suggests it was the S2,