METAL JACKET 2 for LEICA SL2

Lollo

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Love the new MJ2 cage by Lockcircle! How do you guys use your camera for video shooting?

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by Lollo
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Lollo said:

Love the new MJ2 cage by Lockcircle! How do you guys use your camera for video shooting?

Sweet rig.  It looks like you have a Noct Nikkor mounted - nice.  I have an SL but use an S1H handheld without a cage at the moment with IBIS.

That looks like a nice cage. I'm going to check it out. Right now I have a generalized cage made by Manfrotto. It looks ok but would like something a little nicer with better fit and grip.

8 hours ago, BernardC said:

I know that B&H and Leica Miami have carried these cages in the past. I bought my SL cage directly from the manufacturer: lockcircle.com.

Way to go to buy direct from LockCircle. B&H sold the first version for SL typ 601, they don’t continue it seems. And no one else seems to be selling it. It’s bloody expensive I’d say for a dumb piece of metal. 

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

10 hours ago, meerec said:

It’s bloody expensive I’d say for a dumb piece of metal. 

Exquisitely machined titanium, to be precise, but I get your point. I got my SL (not SL2) cage when they were on close-out, so I paid a bit less. I only ever use it when I want to attach a follow-focus, but lately I've been using the Sigma fp for cine work.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/5/2020 at 8:19 PM, BernardC said:

Exquisitely machined titanium, to be precise, but I get your point. I got my SL (not SL2) cage when they were on close-out, so I paid a bit less. I only ever use it when I want to attach a follow-focus, but lately I've been using the Sigma fp for cine work.

Are you using the Sigma fp with an external recorder to record the RAW files? I don't see CinemaDNG in the Atomos Ninja V but in the Shogun. Would that be what you are using?

Edited by lx1713

4 hours ago, lx1713 said:

Are you using the Sigma fp with an external recorder to record the RAW files? I don't see CinemaDNG in the Atomos Ninja V but in the Shogun. Would that be what you are using?

Sigma has indicated that a future update will allow RAW over HDMI, which will probably allow Prores RAW.

The fp can record CinemaDNG directly to an SSD via USB.

I use an fp cage to attach a small (5 inch) monitor, it's a lot easier to use than the fixed LCD screen.

• Thanks 1

On 5/26/2020 at 2:39 PM, Lollo said:

Yeah the MJ2 titanium cage is beautiful.  We use the SmallRig system for Blackmagic and Panasonic cameras and found the VersaFrame 1584 a perfect fit for the SL/SL2.  Cost is about $80 USD.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 6/23/2020 at 4:36 PM, BernardC said:

Sigma has indicated that a future update will allow RAW over HDMI, which will probably allow Prores RAW.

The Sigma update (v2.0) was just released. It is said to be compatible with some Atomos and BlackMagic recorders, subject updates on their end. I don't see any signs of that on the Atomos web site, but I'm sure it won't be too long.

Of course, the catch is that BM will probably only support BM-RAW, and Atomos will only support ProRes RAW. They are both good formats, but there isn't much software that supports both!

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 6/25/2020 at 1:24 PM, Speeding said:

Help! I'm trapped in an Erector Set and don't look like a camera anymore. And.....I feel soooo heavy.

On 6/25/2020 at 1:24 PM, Speeding said:

Edited by lenspeeper
re format

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/5/2020 at 5:19 AM, BernardC said:

Same here, but I'm glad I catch it. It looks cool on my bookshelf :)