Series filters for 12586 hood

84bravo

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have the 12586 lens hood for the 50mm f1.4 pre-asph lens. The unit unscrews to accept filters (I assume). What series size filters do I need and how are they held in place? I understand that I need to use a special slim 43mm filter if I want to hood to fit, but I'd rather just use drop in filters if that is possible. Why else would the hood unscrew into two parts otherwise?

Thanks

LarryK

Hello LarryK,

If you mean this 12586 (from Wiki), this hood never intended to be separate to drop-in filter like

35mm 12504 hood (for Serie VII filter)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

12504 from Wiki

I have one 12585 which unscrews but no place for a filter between the two parts, the threaded parts may be there for construction purpose.

If you want to try, here some infos ...

Maybe filter of Serie 5.5 or VI can be put in your 12586.

Filter Type Filter Diameter
(inch — mm)
Retaining Ring Size
(inch — mm)
Lens Diameter
(mm)

Series 5.5 1 19/32 40.5 1 23/32 43.7 31 – 40  
Series VI / 6 1 5/8 41.3 1 3/4 44.5 31 – 42

Been using 12586 hoods for many years and i did not even know that they have two halves. Are you sure of that? Too bad i have not one with me. Anyway the 12586 hood was never intended to be used with Series filters. Filters for the Summilux 50/1.4 v1 and v2 were all M43 x 0.5 ones with the following code numbers AFAIK. Blue: 13173 - Infra-red: 13196 - Orange: 13176 - Polar: 13351 - Red: 13191 - UV: 13206 - UV/IR: 13417 - Yellow: 13161 - Yellowgreen: 13171.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

1 hour ago, lct said:

Been using 12586 hoods for many years and i did not even know that they have two halves. Are you sure of that? Too bad i have not one with me. Anyway the 12586 hood was never intended to be used with Series filters. Filters for the Summilux 50/1.4 v1 and v2 were all M43 x 0.5 ones with the following code numbers AFAIK. Blue: 13173 - Infra-red: 13196 - Orange: 13176 - Polar: 13351 - Red: 13191 - UV: 13206 - UV/IR: 13417 - Yellow: 13161 - Yellowgreen: 13171.

The hood indeed unscrews just like the 12504 hood. Mine has the same number as the photo you provided, but the engraving is worded a bit different. I think mine is older.

Thanks for the 43mm filter code numbers, that is very helpful. Will the 12586 hood fit over those filters? I know the standard BW filters will fit the lens, but they are too thick for the hood to clip on.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

7 hours ago, 84bravo said:

Will the 12586 hood fit over those filters?

I have only two of them (IR & UV/IR) but both do fit indeed. Hardly surprising given that they were made for that ;). I mean on the Summilux 50/1.4 v2 as i have no experience with v1 but i'm not aware of any difference re filters between them. You may wish to ask on the Collectors & Historica forum to be sure.

12 hours ago, lct said:

I have only two of them (IR & UV/IR) but both do fit indeed. Hardly surprising given that they were made for that ;). I mean on the Summilux 50/1.4 v2 as i have no experience with v1 but i'm not aware of any difference re filters between them. You may wish to ask on the Collectors & Historica forum to be sure.

Thank you!