Jump to content
Peters

Voigtlander 75mm 1.5 and CL

Recommended Posts

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I've been looking for a 100-135mm equivalent fast lens for the CL. The Leica Summicron's (SL and M mount) a nice but not fast enough, plus a huge amount of money. I understand that Sigma has launched its sharp line of Art lenses in L mount, but I have no plans on putting a huge 1kg+ lens on the CL body. 

The most practical choice therefore seems to be the Voigtlander 75mm 1.5 VM lens. It's relatively affordable, rather light and nimble considering what it is, and the image quality looks fine. I was wondering if anyone here has used it on the CL and could talk about their experience re: handling, focussing, and rendering? A few pictures would be nice too. 

Thanks 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi,

i do not know exactly that lens, but my experience with Voigtländer on the CL is quite good. Perfect to handle, good resp. very good image quality.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I have the 75 1.5 Voigtlander, and find it a really good choice on the CL, size and weight are not an issue, it feels balanced well enough on the body, and I love the rendering.  It may be worth you checking out the CL image thread because I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one who has posted images from it.  There are plenty of reviews out there, Philip Reeve did a thorough one.   I have the Summilux 75mm 1.4 too which is a beautiful lens but it feels better on the M10 because of the weight.    I'm never disappointed with images from the Voigtlander, I mean, I don't ever find myself wishing I'd took the Summilux, I also have the 40mm 1.2 which is great on the CL.  Voigtlander are making some pretty amazing lenses right now.  Few examples from the CV 75 on the CL.

 

 

 

 

 

Edited by Boojay

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Awesome, I was wondering the same.  I found a killer deal on a CL and plan on using the Nokton 75 1.5 and APO Summicron-M 90 with it for extra reach!  Also really curious if the 40mm Summicron-C still keeps its character on the CL.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I am using the CV Nokton 75/f1.5 on my CL, and the combination is fantastic. Both build quality and IQ are strong competition for the best comparable lenses from Leica. I especially love the Nokton 75 for portraits. The 113mm focal length (equivalent) works so well and produces a lovely bokeh.

 

Edited by robgo2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, robgo2 said:

I am using the CV Nokton 75/f1.5 on my CL, and the combination is fantastic. Both build quality and IQ are strong competition for the best comparable lenses from Leica. I especially love the Nokton 75 for portraits. The 113mm focal length (equivalent) works so well and produces a lovely bokeh.

 

Great shots! I was wondering if you had portrait shots from a few meters away? Would be good to see what background compression is like, bokeh, and also sharpness. Plan to use this for street photographer from long distances...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have it as well and it works great, with and without the CL grip. The size of the 75mm fits well to the CL body and the quality is great.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Peters said:

Great shots! I was wondering if you had portrait shots from a few meters away? Would be good to see what background compression is like, bokeh, and also sharpness. Plan to use this for street photographer from long distances...

Peters, I don't know if this cat portrait will be of value to you, but it was shot with the Nokton 75 on a CL from a distance of about 2 to 2.5 meters. The cat loves it. 🙃

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have questions about the other CV 75s specifically the 75 f1.8 and 2.5 Heliar. I read good reviews on them, just wondering. I am doing portraits on my M8 with a 90 and it too long and the frame lines are difficult. The 1.5 certainly sounds nice, But I think if I am going to spend the money on the 1.5, I'd go for a 2nd hand Summarit.

Thanks               

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, tommonego@gmail.com said:

I have questions about the other CV 75s specifically the 75 f1.8 and 2.5 Heliar. I read good reviews on them, just wondering. I am doing portraits on my M8 with a 90 and it too long and the frame lines are difficult. The 1.5 certainly sounds nice, But I think if I am going to spend the money on the 1.5, I'd go for a 2nd hand Summarit.

75/1.5 will be out of your M8's accuracy range if you don't use a magnifier. As far as focusing is concerned i mean. 75/1.8 or 75/2.5 will do better on that point. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Come on, I used to focus 135 mm lenses on the M8 without issue, even did BIF shots with them. It is just a matter of technique... DOF was 20 cm. (M8, Apo-Telyt f 3.4 5.00 m.) That 75/1.5 will have 30 cm @ 5.00 meter.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well done! Tangible proof that even the impossible is attainable with a rangefinder ;). Been there as well. M8.2, Elmarit 135/2.8 but the lens had goggles and the subject matter did not fly :D.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yep...my Canon 135mm f4 (ltm) is one of my easy focus lenses...very crisp, a gem. On my M8's and M-P 240...perfect focus usually..😃

...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have the Voightlander 40 f1.4 MC. This particular lens is available in either single coating or multi-coating.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have just ordered this lens, after selling my TL lenses I decided to get a set of Voigtlander lenses for the CL & the S1R

10mm

21mm f1.8

35mm f1.2

75mm f1.5

I still have a summilux 50-R

I am really looking forward to shooting the 75mm especially on the S1R

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Marac said:

I have just ordered this lens, after selling my TL lenses I decided to get a set of Voigtlander lenses for the CL & the S1R

10mm

21mm f1.8

35mm f1.2

75mm f1.5

I still have a summilux 50-R

I am really looking forward to shooting the 75mm especially on the S1R

Looks like a lovely set, sure you will enjoy and make the most of them, I really like the 75mm.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Arrived today... OMG it's gorgeous, on the S1R it is perfect portrait lens, on the CL it is a great close portrait lens.

I need more time to play but the first few shots have impressed me already

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/25/2020 at 6:30 PM, Marac said:

Arrived today... OMG it's gorgeous, on the S1R it is perfect portrait lens, on the CL it is a great close portrait lens.

I need more time to play but the first few shots have impressed me already

It's a wonderful lens, I use it on the M10, SL2 & CL. I love everything about it;  IQ, size & handling, to the way the aperture and focus rings feel as you turn them. Here's a quick shot I took this morning with the CL, early sunlight coming through the shutters.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue., Read more about our Privacy Policy