Voigtlander 75mm 1.5 and CL

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I've been looking for a 100-135mm equivalent fast lens for the CL. The Leica Summicron's (SL and M mount) a nice but not fast enough, plus a huge amount of money. I understand that Sigma has launched its sharp line of Art lenses in L mount, but I have no plans on putting a huge 1kg+ lens on the CL body. 

The most practical choice therefore seems to be the Voigtlander 75mm 1.5 VM lens. It's relatively affordable, rather light and nimble considering what it is, and the image quality looks fine. I was wondering if anyone here has used it on the CL and could talk about their experience re: handling, focussing, and rendering? A few pictures would be nice too. 

Thanks 

I am using the CV Nokton 75/f1.5 on my CL, and the combination is fantastic. Both build quality and IQ are strong competition for the best comparable lenses from Leica. I especially love the Nokton 75 for portraits. The 113mm focal length (equivalent) works so well and produces a lovely bokeh.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by robgo2
  • Like 12

11 hours ago, robgo2 said:

I am using the CV Nokton 75/f1.5 on my CL, and the combination is fantastic. Both build quality and IQ are strong competition for the best comparable lenses from Leica. I especially love the Nokton 75 for portraits. The 113mm focal length (equivalent) works so well and produces a lovely bokeh.

Great shots! I was wondering if you had portrait shots from a few meters away? Would be good to see what background compression is like, bokeh, and also sharpness. Plan to use this for street photographer from long distances...

11 hours ago, Peters said:

Great shots! I was wondering if you had portrait shots from a few meters away? Would be good to see what background compression is like, bokeh, and also sharpness. Plan to use this for street photographer from long distances...

Peters, I don't know if this cat portrait will be of value to you, but it was shot with the Nokton 75 on a CL from a distance of about 2 to 2.5 meters. The cat loves it. 🙃

• Like 5

I have questions about the other CV 75s specifically the 75 f1.8 and 2.5 Heliar. I read good reviews on them, just wondering. I am doing portraits on my M8 with a 90 and it too long and the frame lines are difficult. The 1.5 certainly sounds nice, But I think if I am going to spend the money on the 1.5, I'd go for a 2nd hand Summarit.

Thanks               

31 minutes ago, tommonego@gmail.com said:

I have questions about the other CV 75s specifically the 75 f1.8 and 2.5 Heliar. I read good reviews on them, just wondering. I am doing portraits on my M8 with a 90 and it too long and the frame lines are difficult. The 1.5 certainly sounds nice, But I think if I am going to spend the money on the 1.5, I'd go for a 2nd hand Summarit.

75/1.5 will be out of your M8's accuracy range if you don't use a magnifier. As far as focusing is concerned i mean. 75/1.8 or 75/2.5 will do better on that point. 

Come on, I used to focus 135 mm lenses on the M8 without issue, even did BIF shots with them. It is just a matter of technique... DOF was 20 cm. (M8, Apo-Telyt f 3.4 5.00 m.) That 75/1.5 will have 30 cm @ 5.00 meter.

• Like 6

Well done! Tangible proof that even the impossible is attainable with a rangefinder ;). Been there as well. M8.2, Elmarit 135/2.8 but the lens had goggles and the subject matter did not fly :D.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

I have just ordered this lens, after selling my TL lenses I decided to get a set of Voigtlander lenses for the CL & the S1R

10mm

21mm f1.8

35mm f1.2

75mm f1.5

I still have a summilux 50-R

I am really looking forward to shooting the 75mm especially on the S1R

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Marac said:

I have just ordered this lens, after selling my TL lenses I decided to get a set of Voigtlander lenses for the CL & the S1R

10mm

21mm f1.8

35mm f1.2

75mm f1.5

I still have a summilux 50-R

I am really looking forward to shooting the 75mm especially on the S1R

Looks like a lovely set, sure you will enjoy and make the most of them, I really like the 75mm.

• Like 1

Arrived today... OMG it's gorgeous, on the S1R it is perfect portrait lens, on the CL it is a great close portrait lens.

I need more time to play but the first few shots have impressed me already

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 6/25/2020 at 6:30 PM, Marac said:

Arrived today... OMG it's gorgeous, on the S1R it is perfect portrait lens, on the CL it is a great close portrait lens.

I need more time to play but the first few shots have impressed me already

It's a wonderful lens, I use it on the M10, SL2 & CL. I love everything about it;  IQ, size & handling, to the way the aperture and focus rings feel as you turn them. Here's a quick shot I took this morning with the CL, early sunlight coming through the shutters.

• Like 10

• 1 year later...