M8 Frequent Updates?

barjohn

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Or even, "there". Nice. I got talking to an American in London earlier this year who told me he wasn't enjoying his visit because McDonalds isn't as good as in "Amer-ka". There's just no pleasing some folks.

Well, he's right, IMHO. The London McDonalds certainly aren't up the standards of those in Paris, and, frankly, aren't as clean, either. I've speculated to my daughter that the reason for this is that Londoners have a range of crappy junk food available, while the French don't; and the London McDonalds tend to look at fish n chips stands as competition, while Paris McDonalds tend to vie with restaurants. Therefore, Londonian philosophical and conceptual standards are lower. The Vienna McDonalds and Burger Kings are also good, and clearly better than those in Budapest or Amsterdam. The McDonalds in Israel really suck, partly because of their dietary laws, but also because people disdain them. The worst McDonalds I've ever been in is one in a WalMart store in Dresden, Ontario, Canada. One of the dirtiest restaurants I've ever encountered, anywhere; I ate deep fried pirana from a track-side stand off the Orinoco that was cleaner than that McDonalds...

Don't know why a bad McDonalds would make you dislike London, though; there is another restaurant, isn't there? And I suspect our forum member who didn't like France one bit may have gone there with a preconception or two. I've found the French, give or take an odd Parisian salesgirl -- to be pretty friendly, even with Americans. Certainly can't complain about the wine, food, painting or women, although French rock and roll is possibly the worst in the world. Are there any McDoanlds reports from Bangkok or Bejing? I'd really like to hear. How about Australia?

If this is off-topic, might I ask how many people have taken a Leica into a McDonalds?

JC

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Or even, "there". Nice. I got talking to an American in London earlier this year who told me he wasn't enjoying his visit because McDonalds isn't as good as in "Amer-ka". There's just no pleasing some folks.

I toured parts of Europe and England in 1971. I was in France for about a week, couldn't wait to get out of there and on to Belgium and points north. Brussels is a great city and nearly didn't make it out of Amsterdam. Haven't had the opportunity or the desire to go back.

I liked the Wimpy bars. Don't think there was any Mc'y D's when I was there and I actually like vineger on my fries.

The French are charming people. Especially if you bother to speak French.

As with most people, if you make an effort to speak the language, it is appreciated.

Anyone coming to Britain and trying to "get by" with no English, would get a very different reception than someone who made an effort.

How would a Pole, or a Macedonian, for example, be received in the US if they had no English at all? And, how would an American or English person be received in Poland or Macedonia if the reverse were true? (this is a bit unfair because English, or rather, American English, is the "universal" language, so it is much more likely that the person in Poland or Macedonia speaks some English than the other way round. But the point is made.)

IMHO, it is only common courtesy to at least learn the "Pleases" and "Thank Yous" in your host country's native tongue.

Mark, I don't know those names. Are they firmware programmers?

Have I thought of relocating to Hessen, Mark? Yes :) But not yet, I have great friends and a wonderful girlfriend in Berlin, and I am not leaving all that. Berlin is a great city, easily one of Europe's best.

Just a couple of names on an email who I thought might be involved.

Perhaps they'd let you work from home then, certainly accept that Solms is a bit quiet after Berlin.

Also agree about the Mythical Man Month, though I think getting to grips with things like AWB and JPEG edge optimisation is more than a two man job - and I speak as someone who has 880kloc on his shoulders.

Guest guy_mancuso

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Just a couple of names on an email who I thought might be involved.

Perhaps they'd let you work from home then, certainly accept that Solms is a bit quiet after Berlin.

Also agree about the Mythical Man Month, though I think getting to grips with things like AWB and JPEG edge optimisation is more than a two man job - and I speak as someone who has 880kloc on his shoulders.

Solms is a very quiet community and Wetzler is really nice . One of my favorite stops when i was there. maybe leica has a job for me too. LOL

Solms is a very quiet community and Wetzler is really nice . One of my favorite stops when i was there. maybe leica has a job for me too. LOL

Yes, I like it there, I drive from Leipzig back to London once or twice a year which takes me right past it. As for a job offer, I'm sure they've thought about it, Guy, but I'm not sure they could cope with the volume of input . LOL.

"Viel Bier, bitte" :)

Or just go to Köln and order a Kölsch. Every time you finish your beer they apparently drop off another, without asking, until you leave the coaster on top of the glass.

"Viel Bier" ... let's see, Babelfish tells me that means "Much Beer"! That'll work! Thanks.

I've learned a lot of very useful things on this forum, but this is seriously important!! :D

Kölsch sounds good too. Any culture that makes great cameras _and_ knows how to do beer with style gets my vote.

..................If this is off-topic, might I ask how many people have taken a Leica into a McDonalds?

JC

Guilty :D OT I know but ....

Two months ago in Sydney, Australia. One of the cleanest I have ever encountered with fresh hot food. Mind you, you did have to watch out for the indigenous natives who were always on the lookout for a fast snack.- what better place? The plastic carrier bag was from the UK.

Grab shots with the M8, 40mm Nokton, strip lighting.

Bob.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!