Sign in to follow this  
barjohn

M8 Frequent Updates?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Wow... Three cars! While here in Europe everybody tries to keep CO2 under control... Poor Earth

I know this is off topic... but this mentality makes me mad. I'm so sad...

Not really. Europe poeple pay $10 a gallon for gas, no wonder they don't drive much.

In my part of the UK the cost is about 8.50 dollars for an _imperial_, not US gallon. Mind you, the way the dollar's going it'll be 10 before too long.

Petrol is cheaper than this in Luxemburg, Spain and Austria in my experience. Also a bit cheaper if you buy at a supermarket in France.

Not really. Europe poeple pay $10 a gallon for gas, no wonder they don't drive much.

Ed, the price is not the issue here. I was just talking about ECOLOGY and preserving the Earth. In everyday's life, I try not wasting unnecessary water and/or electricty; to use renewble enegies for house heating (warm pumps and solar panels); to drive a reasonable size car which doesn't produce a lot of CO2 and to use it only when I really need it; to try to pollute less and recycle waste...

Yes, I know some Countries haven't signed Kyoto's Protocol... but ecology is everybody's concern.

Manuel,

Not to justify the spewing of greenhouse gasses by the U.S., but there are a few points I'd like to make -- after all, despite our government's policy, the majority here would like to exercise more environmental responsibility.

Emission standards for vehicles in the U.S. are more stringent than those required by the E.U. In fact, many vehicles here are now manufactured to ULEV (Ultra Low Emission Vehicle) standards mandated by the state of California.

Auto emissions of greenhouse gasses in the U.S. are 20 percent of the total, whereas they are 26 percent of the total in Europe.

Still, all of us need to become more aware and try to reduce our carbon footprint.

Larry

Advertisement (gone after registration)

So ... I was reading the news from the NY Times this morning and read the part about the recall by Mattell of all the toys made in china, including 1/2 million cars with lead paint on them...

The bride said, "Hold on. Chinese kids test higher than our kids. What going on here?"

With regard to the nominal subject in this thread, at least the updates to the thread are frequent.

I wait eagerly for the next fw version. The stuff in this camera gets better and better.

Regards to all,

That's too funny, Bill. But I agree ... all fancy stuff on earth are poisonous, such as the addiction to a Leica. LOL

About frequent M8 updates (I know, what is such a comment doing in this thread?), I spoke to a Leica employee today, and there will be a new firmware update coming near the end of the month with significant improvements to the white balance. I asked him about the buttons, and while admitting that it was probably a firmware problem, he didn't know if it would be fixed this time.

Leica is no longer outsourcing the firmware to Jenoptik, but has hired two employees to do it in-house. They have realised that they need to have the entire pipeline under control, and that the M8 is no longer a camera as much as it is a picture-taking computer, and as such they need the programmers. Apparently the code is in good shape, but the employees are just getting up to speed, and carefully.

Gosh, that slap-on-the-forehead of realisation seems to have come rather late and I'm surprised they think they only need two programmers to do the job. Might be OK for maintenance but I think Leica need a broader software development perspective to include future products instead of the piece-meal approach of "here's the M8 code, go fix it".

I have a couple of names - Jesko van Oeynhausen and Juergen Haeberle - do either of these ring a bell?

BTW, ever thought of relocating to Hesse, Carsten?

Been their, didn't like it one bit.

Or even, "there". Nice. I got talking to an American in London earlier this year who told me he wasn't enjoying his visit because McDonalds isn't as good as in "Amer-ka". There's just no pleasing some folks.

Well I again disagree with that. Especially if the product was made in France (Yeah I have a hard on for France. Been their, didn't like it one bit).

At one time you couldn't buy a better product IF it was marked Made In USA. Not so true in todays world.

The bride and I are newish subscribers to Netflix. Among other cinematic treats, we have been enjoying several French film noir flic's from the 50's and 60's. Man, they're full of 'Murican cars. What a gas.

Gosh, that slap-on-the-forehead of realisation seems to have come rather late and I'm surprised they think they only need two programmers to do the job. Might be OK for maintenance but I think Leica need a broader software development perspective to include future products instead of the piece-meal approach of "here's the M8 code, go fix it".

I’d say first things first. It is actually a good idea to start out with a small team. If they were to develop the firmware from scratch, they could modularize the task and hire accordingly, but for coming to terms with existing code, a small team size is best. Once these two people identify areas where a third developer could help, the team could be expanded, but not earlier. Just throwing more developers at a problem doesn’t generally make them finish faster.

So ... I was reading the news from the NY Times this morning and read the part about the recall by Mattell of all the toys made in china, including 1/2 million cars with lead paint on them...

The bride said, "Hold on. Chinese kids test higher than our kids. What going on here?"

Regards to all,

They buy toys made in USA for their kids.

They buy toys made in USA for their kids.

... and then they say (in Mandarin, of course), "here chew on that for a while."

Of course, THOSE guys can afford american-made toys!

Mark, I don't know those names. Are they firmware programmers?

Have I thought of relocating to Hessen, Mark? Yes

But not yet, I have great friends and a wonderful girlfriend in Berlin, and I am not leaving all that. Berlin is a great city, easily one of Europe's best.

Michael, I will throw my vote with you: too many programmers too soon is wrong. "The Mythical Man-Month" anyone?

Guest guy_mancuso
About frequent M8 updates (I know, what is such a comment doing in this thread?), I spoke to a Leica employee today, and there will be a new firmware update coming near the end of the month with significant improvements to the white balance. I asked him about the buttons, and while admitting that it was probably a firmware problem, he didn't know if it would be fixed this time.

Leica is no longer outsourcing the firmware to Jenoptik, but has hired two employees to do it in-house. They have realised that they need to have the entire pipeline under control, and that the M8 is no longer a camera as much as it is a picture-taking computer, and as such they need the programmers. Apparently the code is in good shape, but the employees are just getting up to speed, and carefully.

Geez Carsten , they left all that out there for you. They need to be a little more carefull:D

Guest guy_mancuso

I have a couple of names - Jesko van Oeynhausen and Juergen Haeberle - do either of these ring a bell?

BTW, ever thought of relocating to Hesse, Carsten?

You guys are just getting too smart. LOL

Yes they certainly ring a bell

I would agree that small teams are often more productive but 2 might be a little light. However, they need more of a software development organization and structure to tackle the future and become innovative. With a 2 man SW development effort, you are getting less than 2 by the time you throw administrative tasks in the mix.

Guest guy_mancuso

I believe there hiring. LOL

Actually in NJ there looking for a repair tech.