Sign in to follow this  
barjohn

M8 Frequent Updates?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

My understanding is ... the DMR and M8 were historical projects Dr. Kaufmann and Steven K. Lee inherited from the previous ownership and management, right?

If that's correct then you can guess the answers to all your questions.

Yes, and Apple computers sold in Europe are made in Ireland, but it is still an American product.

I thinkl you'll find they are made in Taiwan now. Like every other computer.

Guest guy_mancuso

i owned 2 American cars in over 30 or more cars. They suck so honestly people buy what fits them and no much were from unless they think a German car has better quality. Right now I have a Lexus Suv and a BMW and VW also. So i don't fit that mold and most folks in US don't own American cars. Trucks and Suv are owned more

Two decades ago when I was living in Canada and occasionally visiting the States, I was always surprised at the very low numbers of foreign cars, considering how inefficient and troublesome American cars had become. It sounds like things have changed, not only with Toyota selling the most cars of any manufacturer, IIRC, but also the American car companies have finally woken up out of their 100-year sleep and started producing better cars.

Andy, many or most of the components are made to Apple spec in the far east, yes, but assembly and testing is still done locally, I believe.

Right now I have a Lexus Suv and a BMW and VW also.

Wow... Three cars! While here in Europe everybody tries to keep CO2 under control... Poor Earth

I know this is off topic... but this mentality makes me mad. I'm so sad...

For the little story, I remember Leonardo DiCaprio felt in love with a Toyota Prius (hybrid model) so he just bought 10 cars !!!

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Yes, and Apple computers sold in Europe are made in Ireland, but it is still an American product.

But surely mainly from Chinese sub assemblies. I have to say that when you take a Mac or Sony apart, they are very impressive compared with when you take a Dell or IBM/Lenovo apart. My Powermac is a real work of art and a positive pleasure to delve inside.

Wilson

the mac pro laptop I recently bought in London inorder to get an Irish model turned out to be assembled in China, Carsten. You really need to check. Globalization........

I have asked the question elsewhere, and can confirm that NO Macs are made in Ireland any more. All come from the Far East. Basically, why pay someone Irish wages when you can pay Far East wages for the same function.

Some software is "assembled" in Cork, but that's just a case of putting DVDs into boxes.

Ipods, iphones and current Macs are all assembled in mainland China. On last Saturday Wall Street Journal just had a cover story on Terry Guo, the CEO of Hong Hai which is Apple's biggest sub-contractor. They hire 270000 workers for their Shenzhen operations alone.

Or let our pets or children eat any of the components, toys or food...

All makes great sense ... so you don't have to worry about how to describe the teethmarks in your eBay auction lists.

i completely agree Ed. Sorry TR but that is a lame comment.

and how would YOU know? are you living in Germany? have you been reading the German forum? I'm listening.

and how would YOU know? are you living in Germany? have you been reading the German forum? I'm listening.

Well, I can say for my part that your statement is a generalization and in my case not true. And where comes your hostility from?

I buy where I expect quality. If that quality is to be found in chinese products, I'd buy that - if a company in Somalia would produce a similar product, I'd buy that.

I tend to agree though that, reading the german forums, I get the impression that people do

a) buy Leica gear to acquire something to complain about

buy Leica gear to acquire the (felt) right to complain about the management of Leica

c) buy Leica gear to keep traditions alive - whatever those may be

d) buy Leica gear to be a part of an elitist club

e) bought Leica gear in the past and are still stuck back then.

The most used quote here and over there is:

"a camera for over 4000 bucks should..."

Dirk.

In defence of T.R. he did say that it was one of the reasons, not the only one.

Certainly if there were two broadly similar articles, one made in Europe and the other in the US or far east, I'd buy the European one every time.

Well I again disagree with that. Especially if the product was made in France (Yeah I have a hard on for France. Been their, didn't like it one bit).

At one time you couldn't buy a better product IF it was marked Made In USA. Not so true in todays world.

What's happened here, guys?

Maybe time to take a collective deep breath before posting?

Thanks.