Which M-lens for Leica CL?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I've just tried a Zeiss Planar with the M mount adapter. A nice combination for portraits and with the ELPRO 3 screwed into the Planar an excellent close-up lens. So my CL now handles all my screwmount, M, and Zeiss lenses. Economical and very convenient.

Tri-Elmar 28-35-50/4 aka MATE.
Another favorite of mine. Great sharp lens on the CL. Flare issue at 50mm is not a problem thanks to the EVF. Got the v1 (pic) for its built-in hood. It is a fragile lens though. Compared to some erectile zooms having little to do with M lenses it is like a Swiss watch vs a rebadged Seiko. I like also Seiko watches though :D.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I use sometimes an old (1966 !) SUMMARON 35/2. on the CL with pleasure. Manual mode of course, but focus peaking working with the Leica adapter.

An example of result is on CL images thread (# 9208).

Not exeptional but this coupling brings to an old photographer an air of the past...😉

Good pict to all, de-confined!!

Edited by papimuzo
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, papimuzo said:

I use sometimes an old (1966 !) SUMMARON 35/2. on the CL [...]

35/2.8 i guess. Mine has goggles for the M3 so i never used it on the CL so far. The Summicron 35/2 v4 works fine too.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, lct said:

35/2.8 i guess. Mine has goggles for the M3 so i never used it on the CL so far. The Summicron 35/2 v4 works fine too.

Of course! My bad... typing fault 😄 . 35/2.8

Yours is very good too.

Edited by papimuzo
  • Thanks 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I can't think of a better normal lens for me ... 

• Like 4

Thanks for all this info …… plenty to consider

I`ve just bought a CL and I`m using it with my V5 50 Summicron ,28 Summicron ASPH and 90 elmarit.

I was thinking of upgrading the 90 Elmarit to the APO summicron but reviews on Red Dot forum suggested that it wasn`t a good performer .

I`m  now wondering if a native CL lens in that focal length would be a better bet .

Any thoughts appreciated .

1 hour ago, Michael Markey said:

I was thinking of upgrading the 90 Elmarit to the APO summicron but reviews on Red Dot forum suggested that it wasn`t a good performer

What's this forum? The Summicron 90/2 apo is a superb performer on the CL. It is a rather big lens though. You may consider smaller M lenses like Summarit 90/2.4 (or 90/2.5), Macro-Elmar 90/4 or earlier Tele-Elmarit "thin" 90/2.8. Also the excellent and cheap Rokkor 90/4 for Minolta CLE or the Elmar-C 90/4. All work fine on this body. I have no idea about AF lenses though.

Edited by lct

2 minutes ago, lct said:

What's this forum? The Summicron 90/2 apo is a superb performer on the CL. It is a rather big lens though. You may consider smaller M lenses like Summarit 90/2.4 (or 90/2.5), Macro-Elmar 90/4 or earlier Tele-Elmarit "thin" 90/2.8. Also the excellent and cheap Rokkor 90/4 for Minolta CLE or the Elmar-C 90/4. All work fine on this body. I have no idea about AF lenses though.

Thanks ….. It`s a YouTube channel which appears sound in its opinions but thought it best to canvas opinion  .

Thanks for the input 

I finally got time to open my M to L adapter. One of the first thing’s I read and counted 25 M mount lenses can be fitted to the CL, using the adapter. If I understood correctly the camera automatically switches to aperture priority. Manual metering is also available. The list begins with the 18 f3.8 asph and finishes with the 135 f 3.4 telyt. All three metering methods are available.

vor 4 Stunden schrieb edstock:

counted 25 M mount lenses can be fitted to the CL

You can also mount M lenses which are not mentioned in the menu. The camera then asks for the lens type mounted. You can also mount adapters for still other kinds of mounts, such as the Leica R to M adapter, if you have Leica R lenses, or LTM to M and on and on.

vor 4 Stunden schrieb edstock:

camera automatically switches to aperture priority.

Yes, it does. Unfortunately, it does not revert to the mode previously selected when you mount a native lens again, leaving your camera on aperture priority.

Good luck with your adapter, and have fun.

Red dot forum is from Leica Miami’s Dale Farkas. It’s well respected - his reviews and analysis is thorough, tho more relaxed and user-focused than many other sites. I rather like his perspective. His review of the CL as a perfect travel camera was one of the reasons I bought into the system.  Generally pretty much on the mark comments, if a wee bit too Leica enthusiastic (no surprise there!).

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, geoffreyg said:

Red dot forum is from Leica Miami’s Dale Farkas. It’s well respected - his reviews and analysis is thorough, tho more relaxed and user-focused than many other sites. I rather like his perspective. His review of the CL as a perfect travel camera was one of the reasons I bought into the system.  Generally pretty much on the mark comments, if a wee bit too Leica enthusiastic (no surprise there!).

I am surprised at what they said about the 90/2 apo then. I did not read their article or review though. Any link to it? Just curious.

I have four M lenses I use on the CL the newest being a 1972 35 f1.4 Summilux Canada, and this includes a 25mm Canon. I would say there are more than 25 Leica lenses that can be used. I don't think they list the collapsible Summicron, but it does well on the CL and the collapsing doesn't interfere with the CL. As Jaapv said a lot of other lenses can be adapted to the CL, one of my favorites right now is a 105 micro Nikkor, I have another 40mm macro Kilar in Canon FD mount, I have even adapted Kodak Schneider Retina lenses. Have to say I did try a 200mm Canon FD with a Canon 2x extender and the results were less than stellar.

20 hours ago, lct said:

I am surprised at what they said about the 90/2 apo then. I did not read their article or review though. Any link to it? Just curious.

Ok  …. after a bit of digging . 1:06:24 on the attached link.

I think (for me) it was the description of it "only" being capable and old and not cutting edge.

Non of that is necessarily off putting but it`s hardly an enthusiastic recommendation .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gigNjlsDbuc

Edited by Michael Markey
  • Thanks 1