Which M-lens for Leica CL?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The 50/2.8 is significantly shorter than the 50/2 v4 (pic) but the 50/2.5 is even shorter. As for IQ it is triplet vs double Gauss, Tessar vs Planar, Elmar vs Summarit or Summicron, old story ;).  

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I use only M and R mount lenses on the CL. My most commonly used lenses for walking around are the Summilux 35/1.4 v2, Voigtländer 28mm f/3.5, Pentax-L 43mm f/1.9, Voigtländer 10mm f/5.6, and Summicron-M 50mm f/2. Particularly the 35, 10, and 28 get used a lot. :)

G

very short walk because a tiny little cell parked on top of us and it started raining. i thought the wind would spoil this flower shot, but it turned out ok. this is with my 50 summicron (v3?) and the panasonic s1. first time i've used the summicron on a full frame camera and although i only took a half dozen shots tonight, results very promising indeed.

/guy

thank you. sure, here's one with the cl.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

here's another. again, sooc but i've tweaked the scene/profile for b&w hd somewhat.

Edited by gteague

31 minutes ago, Kay Tetzlaff said:

Hi /guy, Looks very nice! Would you be able to also post an image with the 50/2 on the CL? Or lead me to pictures should you have posted them before?

See the recent posts #9134 and #9153 in the Leica CL image thread, for example. There are many more examples in that thread.

The 50mm Summicron also works very well with an achromat for macro work (see post #4930 in the same thread for an example).

Most of my M lenses live on my M cameras, M3, M8. But the 35 f1.4 is nice and compact on the CL, 50 Summicron Collapsible is also a decent fit. The one I use most is my old (62) 90 Elmarit. Anything in the 20mm range has been displaced by the 23 Summicron, I really like that lens as a primary carry lens. The one lens I have that doesn't get the love it deserves is a 40 f1.4 Voigtlander, just isn't a focal length I use on an M or CL.

Edited by tommonego@gmail.com

On 5/24/2020 at 4:42 PM, lct said:

The 50/2.8 is significantly shorter than the 50/2 v4 (pic) but the 50/2.5 is even shorter. As for IQ it is triplet vs double Gauss, Tessar vs Planar, Elmar vs Summarit or Summicron, old story ;).  

LCT - do you collapse the 50/2.8 Elmar-M on the CL after mounting it?

54 minutes ago, lawman said:

LCT - do you collapse the 50/2.8 Elmar-M on the CL after mounting it?

Only partly so better use the same trick as the one for film CL (attached) or something like that. A piece of strap by example (pic).

LeicaCL_120-50_notice_p02_roc.pdf

Yes, that is correct. On the TL it needs about 3 mm clearance, on the CL about 6 mm. However, careful collapsing is unlikely to damage anything, as it runs up against the plastic baffle in front of the shutter. Slamming it, of course, would be another matter. Better be safe like LCT. That is not an Elmar-M BTW, but an earlier Elmar ;) 

1 hour ago, jaapv said:

Yes, that is correct. On the TL it needs about 3 mm clearance, on the CL about 6 mm. However, careful collapsing is unlikely to damage anything, as it runs up against the plastic baffle in front of the shutter. Slamming it, of course, would be another matter. Better be safe like LCT. That is not an Elmar-M BTW, but an earlier Elmar ;) 

my lens is the Elmar-M  Leica cat# 11831 - but I guess its always better safe than sorry. I have collapsed it on the M9 and M240 and am toying with trying it on the M10P - but maybe not on the CL - thanks

2 hours ago, jaapv said:

It is an M6J's Elmar-M from 1994. At right below.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Before buying M lenses for CL or TL, unless you already have them, (as in my case) it is better to buy the 18-56 lens, which, not being one of the best lenses for this series, works well when covering A Wide range for many photos. After this, experiment with whatever. It's my advice

Actually the 18/56 is rather underrated in my experience. I use M,R and TL lenses on my CL and I cannot find one 18-56 shot where it underperforms compared to M lenses. It is true Leica quality. The perception arose when Leica sold it as a kit. It was ranked as a “kit lens” with other rather low-grade offerings by other brands by some reviews, quite unjustly. 

• Like 1