Considering to replace 35 summicron asph v1 with v2

MyLeicaWorld

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Currently I have a chrome 35 summicron asph v1. I am considering to replace it with the latest black v2 one. What do you think? Will there be a difference in the image quality, sharpness or colours?

Edited by double_0_se7en

Hello Mr Bond, 

From what i could see when i mounted the V1 on my camera was a different hood. I have to say though the new hood is awesome but not trully worth the extra money for the upgrade. There is a very slight improvment in IQ but you really have to pixel peep, the bokeh should also be better as it has 11 app. blades, but i can't confirm that as i only own the V2. I think the Cron v2 as great ergonimcs, looks great and renders beautifully. 

This is a great review that i read when i was deciding which 35mm to purchase https://www.streetsilhouettes.com/home/2016/5/27/leica-35mm-summicron-asph-vers-2

• Thanks 1

This review mentions a rubber hood, probably the 12526. Mine has a rectangular plastic one (12514), quite efficient and practical, but not particularly pretty. I'd post a photograph of it if I could find it. I use the 12585H hood - arguably the best one made for both the 35 and 50 Summicrons. But probably it won't fit the version 2.

• Thanks 1

12524 and 12526 are almost the same (plastic not rubbber) clip-on rectangular hood with a huge :eek: difference for hood cap lovers. The 12526 alone has retaining nubs for a hood cap (14043) while those of the 12524 do not retain anything for the simple reason  that there was no hood cap for it.  BTW both 12524 and 12526 hoods can fit three lenses, the Summicron-M 35/2 v4, the Summicron-M 35/2 asph v1 and the Elmarit-M 28/2.8 asph v1.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 5/23/2020 at 6:24 PM, double_0_se7en said:

Currently I have a chrome 35 summicron asph v1. I am considering to replace it with the latest black v2 one. What do you think? Will there be a difference in the image quality, sharpness or colours?

I Upgraded to the 35 Cron V2 and didn’t notice much, if anything. Leica rounded the aperture blades but I didn’t notice it. I’d keep that V1 and maybe upgrade to the 12504 metal clip on hood to spiffy it up a little and make it feel like you got a new lens. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/24/2020 at 12:24 AM, double_0_se7en said:

No. In general, differences between slightly revised versions of the same lens, from the same brand, on the same format have minute differences that you'd need to pixel peep to notice, if they're noticeable at all. Even with a full on latest aspherical version, the differences won't be noticeable, at practical apertures, unless you do side by side comparisons. In general, you're better served by going for a different design altogether if you want different rendering (or bokeh or distortion), or going a format up if you want more sharpness - though that's easier with film than digital.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I went the opposite way, actually.  I recently replaced my Summicron 35 Asph V1 with the very first Summicron 35 model, V1 8 lens, made in 1968.  I was increasingly unhappy with the rendering of my Asph; certainly sharp enough and contrasty enough, but sort of "lifeless" compared to my results with the Summilux 50 Asph and the Summicron 75 Asph that were its companions.  I just never liked it or bonded with it.

Since I had the old, beat-up 8 lens veteran tucked away with my mothballed M2, I took it out some months ago, Dremelled the 6-bit code on it (very easy, just a double-width black dot representing the 2 adjacent dots in the code; works perfectly.  But,  don´t do it to a more "mint" copy; these are quite valuable now!).  And, it was just lovely!  A bit soft and dreamy wide open, sharp and beautiful from 2.8 on, but much less harsh than the Asph.  Smaller and lighter, too.

Here´s a sample from this morning´s walk.  With this kind of contrasty light, it just sings!  I´m not looking back; now it´s the Asph that is tucked away!

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by elgenper
  • Like 4