28 mm Shots

lexontario

2 hours ago, wizard said:

First time I hear this in regard to a Summicron 28 mm lens. Certainly, that should not be so. Have you had your lens checked for correct calibration?

Dear Wizard,

From my posts in other threads you can see I'm a big fan of 28 Summicron... And again it is my most used and beloved lens.

But I tend to give precise and most honest information which is btw NOT scientifically proved.

Summicron 28 version 1 is known to have less resolution (sharpness) comparing to the new one (version 2). This was reported by Tim Ashley (sharpness at infinity) and Jonathan Slack.

Tim Ashley wrote (citation from his site): In short, it isn't sharp enough across the frame until F8 to fulfil the 'bigger prints' promise of the M240 sensor. I put this down to the peripheral falloff in the sagittal and tangential MTF 40 even at F5.6. It also seems to lack sparkle and micro-contrast across the frame - a phenomenon that I put down to the wave in tangential MTF 40 and the astigmatism between sagittal and tangential. Also, colour shifts across the frame are evident with current M240 firmware, even when the lens is stopped down. It is still far better than most lenses on most cameras, of course, but it is no longer a must-have, for me at least.

My intension is not to spread bad info regarding Summicron. Still it is my most beloved lens. But if someone will plan to use it (version 1) mostly for landscape work than I think it is better to get as much info as possible before buying this wonderful lens.

vor 2 Stunden schrieb Cobram:

But I tend to give precise and most honest information which is btw NOT scientifically proved.

Dear Cobram,

I am sure that what you say is true for your copy of the Summicron 28mm. But I do remember that there is at least one forum member (from Australia, if I remember correctly) who has kept his v1 Summicron 28mm because it performed better, read sharper (on a digital M camera) than two or even three v2 Summicron 28mm lenses he was able to test at his local store. This goes to show that sample variation does exist, some of which may result from less than perfect calibration of the lens. I own a MATE v2 which I bought new and which out of the box performed well enough, but I always thought it lacked the crisp rendering of other Leica lenses. At some point it had to be serviced and I asked the Leica person to check it for correct calibration while they are at it. When the lens came back, its rendering was noticeably crisper, and from then on it was on par with my fixed focal length lenses. This why I know that correct calibration of any lens can really make a difference.

Dear Wizard,

Thank you very much for your comment. I should consider this option --> proprer calibration. Was not thinking in this way.

I will contact Leica service in autumn (don't want t ospend summer without my beloved Summicron 🙂) and ask for full service.

Thank you very much again for your precious advise

14 hours ago, Cobram said:

Dear Alex,

Can't believe these photos are made with 7artisans lens 🙂 Congratulations. Photos prove how good photographer you are.

I currently own Summicron 28 which is my most used lens. BUT I have to admit this Artisan option is very appealing. Especially considering extra light stop and low price.

Summicron is very very good for portraits and BW work. The only drawback is diminished sharpness at infinity - long distance focus. Is 7Artisans sharp at infinity? 

There are also TTartisans 21 1.5 and TTartisans 35 1.4 on the market and maybe I will try one eventually. Any photo example would be much appreciated.

Thank you so much for the kind words!

I have not tested the lens to its full potential since i have been using 35mm and 50mm more often. I will use my 28mm a little more this month though since i sent my favorite 35mm out for service. This 7artisans lens already performs very well wide open at f1.4 in terms of sharpness. I don't think i have ever used it at f2. I will try it. But i am sure that performance and sharpness will improve by a lot, even though at f1.4 it is already great. I will try to take some shots this weekend at f2 and post something. 

Paris, Place Saint-Sulpice, June 2020.
M + Summaron-M 28/5.6

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by epand56
  • Like 11

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Beautiful Hood River, Oregon on the Columbia River just east of Portland. This spot is call "the Hook" -possibly a note of caution to wind surfers, Don't be messin' with the Hook!

M262  28mm Elmarit-M v4

• Like 10

M262     28mm Elmarit-M v4

• Like 4

• Like 1

Bruges

M10 - Elmarit 28asph

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Mp240 Elmarit 28 asph

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Confined by JM__, on Flickr

Vincent by JM__, on Flickr

28 Summaron 5.6 LTM on M9M

confined by JM__, on Flickr

28 Elmarit v2 on M9-P

stripes by JM__, on Flickr

stripes by JM__, on Flickr

28 Elmarit v2 on M9M

Edited by JMF

protection by JM__, on Flickr