She graduated today

allamande

Advertisement (gone after registration)

From Juilliard. And I couldn't give her a hug or take her picture (except for some screen shots).  This has been a long time coming. She started at age 5. That cello and bench went everywhere with us. The cello grew as she grew up to full size. This is a shot on a trip to Santa Barbara, 2004. Practicing in the hotel room. Here is to all graduates out there: Congratulations!

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 13

Dear Ece, my very warm congratulations to her; and also to you. I know that without your patience and encouragement, she may not have succeeded so beautifully. You both deserve much credit and very warm congratulations.

• Like 2

Beautiful, and congratulations.  When Yo Yo Ma was very young he wanted to play the biggest violin he ever saw - the double bass, but he was far too small.  He settled for a child's cello.  I have no idea if he ever saw a viola da gamba at that time.

Is she continuing for her MFA?

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Thank you everyone who joined in this celebration for Iona and all who graduated under some trying circumstances this year. Much appreciated.

Louis you've been along most of this journey so it is special to share this marker with you. Thank you for your kind words. We tried to be supportive but honestly most of the credit goes to her unusual fixation with this instrument (thanks to Yo-Yo Ma), and her dogged determination to make it work. Of course, the real work starts now.

Stuart, viola de gamba is still much larger than an 1/8th size cello which is the starting size (1/4, 1/2, full size to follow). Interestingly Yo-Yo Ma was the reason she wanted to play the cello and in a beautiful twist, he played for their graduating class, live, Bach Prelude from Suite #1. It made all the other difficulties go away when we heard him speaking to the graduating class, and then play (via the internet, of course). 

Yes, she is planning to continue to Masters, starting in the Fall, keeping fingers crossed.

Wishing you all good health!

Ece 

• Like 1